Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    What do you mean by that exactly, where? I haven't come across this
    Presumably ACh (or whatever neurotransmitter) receptors on the membrane adjacent to the synapse (away from the synapse) that become activated when the level of neurotransmitter exocytosed by the pre-synaptic membrane allows some neurotransmitter to avoid degradative enzymes and diffuse over to those receptors. I would imagine that such receptors would have a different signal transduction pathway than that of those at the synapse so that they can modulate a different effect in the post-synaptic cell.

ReputationRep:
    I was also curious regarding the neuro-muscular junction:

Is this the gap between the muscle fibre and the motor neurone?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you're right, a neuromuscular junction is the just the name for the synaptic cleft at a muscle synapse. The presynaptic membrane is the motor end-plate, and the postsynaptic membrane is the sarcolemma (membrane of the muscle fibre). As far as i am aware ACh is the only transmitter substance relaesed (but i may be wrong there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    What do you mean by that exactly, where? I haven't come across this
    You'll probably get it in Neuro/Pharm next year. There are sometimes extrasynaptic muscarinic ACh receptors which can bind ACh and their downstream effects inhibit transmission.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy princess)
    Yes you're right, a neuromuscular junction is the just the name for the synaptic cleft at a muscle synapse. The presynaptic membrane is the motor end-plate, and the postsynaptic membrane is the sarcolemma (membrane of the muscle fibre). As far as i am aware ACh is the only transmitter substance relaesed (but i may be wrong there).
    the motor-end-plate is when the end of the motor neurone axon splits up into various processes, so that one neurone can cause several muscles to contract?

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.