The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
Original post by .snowflake.
You want to see my mind maps showing all of the compounds we've learnt at A level and the conditions needed to convert one to another. They're epic. A3 paper ftw. I made a mind map for the prepositions back in sept. Now all prepositions which take the dative make my left hand side all tingly. Well I've used the colours to remind me of the gender of the word.

Awesomeeeeee. That's a really good idea!
Reading The Hunger Games again. :colone:
Original post by Etoile
Awesomeeeeee. That's a really good idea!

I haven't mentioned any of that to my german group. apart from the whole colour helping with the gender thing. If I mentioned the tasting words and future perfect feeling like I've got my shoelaces tied together and the imperfect feeling like marshmallows. I think I'd be recommended to see the school nurse, or at the very least, it'd be a new thing for him to take the piss out of me with.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9183
Original post by Etoile
How could anyone find languages boring? :zomg:

Well I dunno, I do sciences... and don't get me wrong, I did three languages at GCSE and I know they're really useful once you reach a certain level but you'll never get that from school... hell, I speak fluent German and I still find the lessons intensely dull
Reply 9184
12 in chemistry, 10 in bio. 4 in german, so can't really skive any of them.

Ah fair enough... sometimes you just have no luck with your teachers
Original post by Maxffm
Ah fair enough... sometimes you just have no luck with your teachers

I have one amazing chemistry teacher, the bio dept is crap, and german would notice if I wasnt there. Someone would have to actually get up and get the dictionary, rather than asking me.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone whos a native speaker and does A level in that language, AND attends the lessons. I half know what you feel like.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9186
I have one amazing chemistry teacher, the bio dept is crap, and german would notice if I wasnt there. Someone would have to actually get up and get the dictionary, rather than asking me.

Weirdly enough, my Chem teacher is also brilliant... why, are you usually the class dictionary? Fluent?
Reply 9187
Original post by Maxffm
Well I dunno, I do sciences... and don't get me wrong, I did three languages at GCSE and I know they're really useful once you reach a certain level but you'll never get that from school... hell, I speak fluent German and I still find the lessons intensely dull

Sciences aren't as interesting as languages :tongue: Reaching that level, depends how much work you put in. Maybe you find it dull because you're not being stretched then, are you native?

I haven't mentioned any of that to my german group. apart from the whole colour helping with the gender thing. If I mentioned the tasting words and future perfect feeling like I've got my shoelaces tied together and the imperfect feeling like marshmallows. I think I'd be recommended to see the school nurse, or at the very least, it'd be a new thing for him to take the piss out of me with.

Very wise move my dear. Unless people have synesthesia themselves, they're never going to understand it.
Original post by Maxffm
Weirdly enough, my Chem teacher is also brilliant... why, are you usually the class dictionary? Fluent?

Hahahaha. Next joke. I got a C at AS last time. Resitting it all in the summer, so I'm sitting 4 german exams. I just seem to pick up vocab without meaning to, kunstlich off the back of a packet of salad dressing, god knows where I've picked Quatsch up from.
Original post by Etoile

Very wise move my dear. Unless people have synesthesia themselves, they're never going to understand it.

My best friend knows about my numbers& colours thing. I mentioned to her how I'd hate to get 13/15 for grammar knowlegde, because i dont like the colour that 13 is. It's a horrid lime green, but with too much yellow in it.
Reply 9190
Original post by Etoile
Sciences aren't as interesting as languages :tongue: Reaching that level, depends how much work you put in. Maybe you find it dull because you're not being stretched then, are you native?

I'm a lazy arse... I like sciences because it's logic and reasoning... I've never managed to motivate myself enough to work hard for languages and in the end doing work experience abroad convinced me to an extent how unnecessary languages are for business... and yes, I'm half German although born and lived in England all my life.

Hahahaha. Next joke. I got a C at AS last time. Resitting it all in the summer, so I'm sitting 4 german exams. I just seem to pick up vocab without meaning to, kunstlich off the back of a packet of salad dressing, god knows where I've picked Quatsch up from.

Haha, I must say... I was wondering about that... I'm always impressed by people who can do that... I literally have the worst quick recall memory... I speak fluent German and I'm still in the bottom half of our 'vocab league' in german...
Original post by Etoile
Sciences aren't as interesting as languages :tongue:

How dare you?

:tongue:

I'm going into school tomorrow to do Spanish practice with my teacher and the Spanish assisstant we have. Languages can be fun, but none of my science teachers have put on lessons in the Easter holidays...Spanish have done two. :tongue:
Original post by --emma--
How dare you?

I'm going into school tomorrow to do Spanish practice with my teacher and the Spanish assisstant we have. Languages can be fun, but none of my science teachers have put on lessons in the Easter holidays...Spanish have done two. :tongue:

I'm in on friday for A2 german practice. I'm glad i wasnt asked to go to the AS ones as well. 3 days back to back doing nothing but german. Don't think I'dve coped.
Original post by Maxffm

Haha, I must say... I was wondering about that... I'm always impressed by people who can do that... I literally have the worst quick recall memory... I speak fluent German and I'm still in the bottom half of our 'vocab league' in german...

I'm the only one in our german class that can do it. It's annoying when even sir asks you for words though. The other 3 get the grammar a darn site better than I however.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9193
Original post by Maxffm
I'm a lazy arse... I like sciences because it's logic and reasoning... I've never managed to motivate myself enough to work hard for languages and in the end doing work experience abroad convinced me to an extent how unnecessary languages are for business... and yes, I'm half German although born and lived in England all my life.

Languages are logic and reasoning too - if you don't know every word in a text, you have to work it out from the context. Whenever you interact with language, your brain is applying complex rules that it's learnt (whether as a baby for your mother tongue or later in life) in order to infer meaning. If I said "that's a fadkodj" then you know that fadkodj isn't a real thing because it's random typing, but you use logic and reasoning to know that it's a noun. Then I say "the fadkodj is hakning" then you expect to see some kind of action because your brain reasons that things ending with -ing are usually verbs. Ah man language is so beautiful :lol:
And to be a native English speaker, it probably does appear that languages aren't so useful because "everyone else speaks English already". BUT translators and interpreters are very in demand in all sorts of sectors, particularly for native English speakers. That work experience sounds interesting though, what did you do/where?

My best friend knows about my numbers& colours thing. I mentioned to her how I'd hate to get 13/15 for grammar knowlegde, because i dont like the colour that 13 is. It's a horrid lime green, but with too much yellow in it.

How did she react?
There's a girl in my class with a voice that colour. It reminds me of brass instruments.

I genuinely feel sorry for anyone whos a native speaker and does A level in that language, AND attends the lessons. I half know what you feel like.

In my German class is a guy who is bilingual, although brought up here. He asks me for grammar help :tongue:
I feel like my revision has been really unorganised and patchy D:
Reply 9195

I'm the only one in our german class that can do it. It's annoying when even sir asks you for words though. The other 3 get the grammar a darn site better than I however.

Haha don't even get me started on grammar.... in true native fashion my grammar is based on lucky guesses or intuition... I have no idea how it actually works... I do think though that good vocab is more important than good grammar... people can correct your grammar but they can't tell you what you're trying to say
I'm in on friday for A2 german practice. I'm glad i wasnt asked to go to the AS ones as well. 3 days back to back doing nothing but german. Don't think I'dve coped.

Oh, do you do A2 then? Do you go to year 13 lessons or year 12 ones, or just self teach?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm doing A2 Spanish and I'm currently just going to year 12 lessons and doing my own work, but I don't know whether or not just to take them as frees. I basically do all the work at home anyway, as my dad teaches Spanish. But even this drop in session I'm going to tomorrow is for year 12s and therefore AS. Hopefully there'll be two teachers so I can practice. :erm:
I have to say, science revision beats Spanish revision. :tongue:
Reply 9197
How dare you?

I didn't say they weren't interesting though :tongue:
How could I say that they weren't, knowing full well that linguistics is a science :wink:
Do you still have to go? I mean, couldn't you practice with your dad or something?
We have nothing in the holidays, but we do have extra sessions every other day from when we get back. It's worth it though :pierre:
Original post by Etoile

How did she react?
There's a girl in my class with a voice that colour. It reminds me of brass instruments.

In my German class is a guy who is bilingual, although brought up here. He asks me for grammar help :tongue:

Like she thought I was tripping on acid. point 2, it could be that he knows something isnt right, but can't tell you why its not. like if I said 'in our school we have much more teachers'. I know thats not right, but don't know why it is. Potentially more down to the fact we never really strip our mother tongue down to that stage like we do with french, german etc.
Oh, do you do A2 then? Do you go to year 13 lessons or year 12 ones, or just self teach?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm doing A2 Spanish and I'm currently just going to year 12 lessons and doing my own work, but I don't know whether or not just to take them as frees. I basically do all the work at home anyway, as my dad teaches Spanish. But even this drop in session I'm going to tomorrow is for year 12s and therefore AS. Hopefully there'll be two teachers so I can practice. :erm:
I have to say, science revision beats Spanish revision. :tongue:

in Y13, resitting AS german completely. Because i did awful last time, scraped a C in the speaking. Got a middling C in the written paper AND I sat the paper with an ear infection; hence my listening mark was, not what it usually was.

Latest