DPhil in Education at Oxford -- interview advice?

Watch
nervousgirl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, all!
I am from the U.S. applying to the DPhil program in Oxford's Education department, and I have an interview coming up very soon.
I am curious to hear from anyone who has interviewed for this specific program, or more generally, anyone who has interviewed for a DPhil program in the social sciences at Oxford.
Here's what I'm thinking about while preparing so far:
- I was given the names of the professors who will be interviewing me (via Skype), so I've looked them up to see what research they've done. I wanted to get a sense of who will be on the other end of the conversation.
- I have thought through my answers as to why I want to study specifically at Oxford, why towards a DPhil, and what I envision doing after I've finished the degree.
- I have looked over my research proposal so that I can speak about it thoroughly should related questions arise.
- I am looking through a social research methods text to prepare myself, in case they ask any questions about relevant research methods.

Does this sound about right? Are these the types of things I should expect to discuss? The department website says the interview will be about 20 minutes or so -- has that been other people's actual experience?
Any glaring items I've missed in my preparation?

U.S. doctoral programs are completely different in their admissions processes, so I'm jittery and not sure how best to approach this.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
amsyb
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, 9 years later, I am on the same boat! Would love to hear about your experience!
Ox2021!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by amsyb)
Hi, 9 years later, I am on the same boat! Would love to hear about your experience!
Hopefully the 9-years-ago fellow has realized her dream! When’s your interview and it’s under which research theme/group?
Last edited by Ox2021!; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%