username459260
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
does the area under a Maxwell-Boltzmann curve show the total energy of a system?
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
username459260
Rep:
?
what does that mean?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jsmith6131)
does the area under a Maxwell-Boltzmann curve show the total energy of a system?
To the left of the Ea line, it's the total number of particles that don't have enough energy to react, and to the right of it is the total number of particles that do have enough energy to react.
boromir9111
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what does that mean?
click on it
username459260
Rep:
?
no guys just imagine a standrd curve JUST 1 with no Ea line.
The TOTAL AREA under the ENTIRE curve - does that equal the area of the system?
Chucky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the area shows the total number of molecules.
username459260
Rep:
?
thats is abundantly obvious from the y-axis (no of molecules) but area is base*height
so no. molecules * energy so I would presume that total area = total energy
do you agree
boredom_personified
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I haven't done chemistry since A level , but if a point on the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve represents the number of particles at a particular energy level, then the integral over the entire curve, that is to say the area you are describing, should represent the number of particles over all energy levels, i.e the total number of particles in the system. (I hope :P )

Further evidence for this would be that the area to the left of the Ea line represents the number of particles that don't have energy to react, and area to the right is number of particles that do have sufficient energy to react (from the definition of activation energy). Thus considering the area on both sides must be the total number of particles, since you would be adding the number of particles that cannot react, to the number of particles that can (and because this forms a partition in the system, it must be including all particles)
username459260
Rep:
?
a little confused...are you agreeing with me or not?
Chucky
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
trust me the area under the graph represents the total number of molecules present! Dont listen to these idiots.
boredom_personified
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
a little confused...are you agreeing with me or not?
No. To clarify, I am saying the area under the curve is the total number of molecules present in the system.
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can be used to describe the distribution of velocities (or speeds) of the molecules as well as momentum, though it is frequently used to express the distribution of energies, as kinetic energy depends on speed.

So when you ask about what the area under the curve represents, you need to say what you are plotting on the curve.
Are you talking about a curve of the number of molecules against velocity (range) or about number of molecules in a particular energy range?
Are you referring to a probability density curve (probably) or a cumulative curve?
If you are asking about the probability density curve then the area under any portion of it is the total number (or fraction*) of molecules having that range of speeds, velocities, momenta, or energies.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...mperature.html (scroll down)
(Or any search for "area under the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve")

* In a probability density curve the total area under the curve usually represents the total number of molecules or 100%. So a portion of the curve represents that fraction or % of the total.
username459260
Rep:
?
no I am referring to the curve
y-axis: no. molecules
x-axis: energy
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure what you are answering "no" to.
If you are talking about the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve for molecular energies then
it is a so called probability density curve.
So the area under it (or any portion of it) represents the number of molecules (or rather the fraction of the total number) that have energies between the values of E on the x axis.
Mathematically, a probability density curve is not the same as a standard curve you plot like a velocity time graph. Statistical functions behave differently.
The answer to your question is "no".

Did you look at the link I gave?
username459260
Rep:
?
yes that was one of the sources I came across when looking for the answer
but my book had a question in it asking what does the area under the maxwell-bolztmann energy curve represent, i said "no of molecules in the system" and this was wrong
so i figured it must be something else!
username459260
Rep:
?
btw this is for a Maxwell-Boltzmann energy distribution curve!
Ryan Reynolds
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree completely! But everyone at physics class (including the teacher!) made fun of me for doing so. They think it is the total number of molecules.
Ryan Reynolds
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no guys just imagine a standrd curve JUST 1 with no Ea line.
The TOTAL AREA under the ENTIRE curve - does that equal the area of the system?
Yes it does according to my point of view. But the majority is against it.
Ryan Reynolds
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be more exact, it is------ y-axis:no. of molecules per energy, 'E'
x-axis: energy, 'E'
so the area becomes (if we consider a straight line of zero gradient):
area= energy multiplied by no of molecules/energy
= # of molecules
Q.E.D.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (663)
33.5%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.6%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.4%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed