Don't you think this is a bit premature? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by LostHorizons
Don't you think this is a bit premature? :s-smilie:

Not at all!
Reply 3
Original post by EloiseStar
Where have you considered applying for?

Hello :smile: Saw you in the History thread. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford, Durham, York, and probably Bristol and Leeds but not totally decided on those two. I'm a little worried that's incredibly over-ambitious though - I'm hoping school will give me some advice nearer the time.

How about you? What are you doing at AS btw?

EDIT: Now it's Cambridge, York, Leeds, Exeter & Leicester :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Kalliope
Hello :smile: Saw you in the History thread. I'm hoping to apply to Oxford, Durham, York, and probably Bristol and Leeds but not totally decided on those two. I'm a little worried that's incredibly over-ambitious though - I'm hoping school with give me some advice nearer the time.

How about you? What are you doing at AS btw?

I'm thinking of Literature and History joint honours....

overly ambitious? I see that you got 12 A*!! Out of yours, I'm looking at Leeds but they're asking for AAA and I haven't even sat my first AS exam yet, so we'll see how it goes and obviously it's subject to change.

English Literature, History, Biology and Maths! :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'm thinking of Literature and History joint honours....

overly ambitious? I see that you got 12 A*!! Out of yours, I'm looking at Leeds but they're asking for AAA and I haven't even sat my first AS exam yet, so we'll see how it goes and obviously it's subject to change.

English Literature, History, Biology and Maths! :biggrin:

Yeah :blush: But English is so competitive!

Awesome choices - we snap on 3/4 :grin: What exam board are you for Lit? (I'm AQA - Victorian Lit). Also, do you have an Edexcel History module this Jan?

btw my TSR twin* (Expecto_Patronum) is also planning to apply 2013, so we won't be entirely alone, but I guess more people will turn up when we stop being under a year early! :colondollar:

*As in, we met on TSR because we were hopeful 2013 Eng applicants, and now she's one of my closest 'real-life' friends.
Reply 6
Yeah :blush: But English is so competitive!

Awesome choices - we snap on 3/4 :grin: What exam board are you for Lit? (I'm AQA - Victorian Lit). Also, do you have an Edexcel History module this Jan?

btw my TSR twin* (Expecto_Patronum) is also planning to apply 2013, so we won't be entirely alone, but I guess more people will turn up when we stop being under a year early! :colondollar:

*As in, we met on TSR because we were hopeful 2013 Eng applicants, and now she's one of my closest 'real-life' friends.

English Lit. is the only subject which I have no idea what exam board I'm on, however, I just Googled the topics and apparently it's AQA also. (Struggle for identity)

Nope, I'm on the OCR board (or at least according to my text book I am- as of yet I can't find any past papers with any hints on their website) and both my History exams are in May or June.

*waves* :tongue:
Reply 8
I'm a 2013 person, at least, a recently decided one - I've been stuck between Music and English for some time now, but I think I've finally decided :unsure: - and so I'm still pinning down my choices, although I'm definitely considering Oxford, York, Exeter and Durham - that's it so far though. ^^

*edit* - just updating this, choices are now more solidified...

so... yeah. Although it doesn't help that I haven't got my predicted grades yet (which could change everything), I'm now thinking of Oxford, Exeter, York, Southampton and Nottingham, all for straight English except for the last which would be a joint with 'beginners' German... I'm also currently wading through finishing my personal statement, is it just me or does each revision of it take an age?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm considering UEA, Sussex & Bristol at the moment - need a modern course! I was set on Warwick until I saw the specs!
I'm taking English, History, Art & Philosophy
Possibly me! Still dithering between English and History. Considering UCL and Warwick so far because I love the courses at both Oxford and Cambridge for entirely different reasons.

Is anyone else worried about how competitive English is? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by SixteenHundred
Possibly me! Still dithering between English and History. Considering UCL and Warwick so far because I love the courses at both Oxford and Cambridge for entirely different reasons.

Is anyone else worried about how competitive English is? :s-smilie:

First I thought history, then combined English and History and now single English.

*gulp* thanks for reminding me of how competitive it is!

I'm looking for combined honours to reduce competitiveness and add a bit of variety-hopefully widening prospects!

Looking at Durham, York, QMUL, Leicester, Liverpool, Southampton.... don't know where else- need some places with lower entry requirements....
Reply 12
Ps- if anyone is feeling stalkerish go here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/English_Offers_2012

it helps!
I'm possibly looking into it. Either Eng Lit... or Journalism. I want a career in journalism, so I'm not sure what's best :smile:

I'm hopefully gonna apply to Oxford, Reading and UCL for Lit, and even looking at Yale because I'm an optimist ahah :P

Journalism, it's Sheffield all the way me thinks
First I thought history, then combined English and History and now single English.

*gulp* thanks for reminding me of how competitive it is!

I'm looking for combined honours to reduce competitiveness and add a bit of variety-hopefully widening prospects!

Looking at Durham, York, QMUL, Leicester, Liverpool, Southampton.... don't know where else- need some places with lower entry requirements....

Yeah, I'm sort of progressing down that route but I'm much more confident with my History. So I don't know!

I had a look at the Durham prospectus this week (not the new one, a friend who has an offer donated her copy of 2012) and it looks so pretty.

As someone who lives in Leicester I'm dying to get away, was slightly annoyed when I saw it was so high up!

Ps- if anyone is feeling stalkerish go here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/English_Offers_2012

it helps!

Haha I've been looking at that all week! It helps in some ways but I also look at all the amazing people who've been rejected from the unis I want to apply for and it scares me!

Original post by MrLuketastic
I'm possibly looking into it. Either Eng Lit... or Journalism. I want a career in journalism, so I'm not sure what's best :smile:

I'm hopefully gonna apply to Oxford, Reading and UCL for Lit, and even looking at Yale because I'm an optimist ahah :P

Journalism, it's Sheffield all the way me thinks

Wow, Yale would be very expensive though! About Journalism or Eng Lit, maybe you should ask some of the older students around here? People are usually really helpful. :smile:
Reply 15
hey!
I am looking at English too :biggrin: i wanted to maybe try a combined course with Politics but i think am i leaning towards straight English. i really like London but there aren't many top courses there :/ apart from UCL but that looks so tough! what do you guys think, do you know if UCL is supper competitive? and if so, how do you stand out?? aha premature panic :smile: i will apply to York and kings too not sure about the rest.......
Reply 16
Original post by IWish
hey!
I am looking at English too :biggrin: i wanted to maybe try a combined course with Politics but i think am i leaning towards straight English. i really like London but there aren't many top courses there :/ apart from UCL but that looks so tough! what do you guys think, do you know if UCL is supper competitive? and if so, how do you stand out?? aha premature panic :smile: i will apply to York and kings too not sure about the rest.......

Hey!
There are lots of really good courses in London- Kings and Royal Holloway have strong department.
UCL is indeed very competitive for English but a big tip I would give is make sure you write about a nice breadth of texts on your personal statement and include some older texts (it's quite a traditional course and we start with Beouwulf).
From your personal statement they're looking at whether or not they want to give you an interview so you need to seem interesting, well read and passionate about literature!
Make sure your reference makes it clear that you're an active contributor to class discussion (if this is true of course) as the one on one tutorial system is probably the thing that makes UCL stand out and they want to know that you'd do well in it!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Sicilienne
I'm a 2013 person, at least, a recently decided one - I've been stuck between Music and English for some time now, but I think I've finally decided :unsure: - and so I'm still pinning down my choices, although I'm definitely considering Oxford, York, Exeter and Durham - that's it so far though. ^^

I live in York and I can't recommend the University enough! I don't want to study there clearly as it's far too close to me. We all know what a great university it is, but the town itself is just GORGEOUS, it has so much character, the night life is pretty awesome and I just LOVE it!!!
Where have you considered applying for?

I'm considering Oxford, UCL, Kings, perhaps Durham and Royal Holloway

I really want to be close to London if I can't go to part of the University of London if I don't make it into Oxford, I went to a RHUL Open Day and it just looks beautiful! The campus looks gorgeous and it has a really friendly, community sense about it. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of prestige and the lower entrance requirements (AAB-ABB), I know that sounds really ridiculous but is anybody else faced with a similar situation? I know that prestige shouldn't be a massive contributing factor when considering universities, but I want to get the best degree for the money that I'm paying!!
Reply 19
Thought I'd bump this thread now it's coming round to application time...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending