The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Raza098
I've pronounced it 'Haitch' all my life! :confused:

It's 'aytch'. I can't think of anything else to write in this post. It just is.
Reply 2
Both are acceptable usage, with 'aitch' being more common (and what I use).
Reply 3
It is definitely aitch. I hate it when people say 'haitch'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Haitch. Come at me.

People have dialects and some people need to get over it.
aitch. Sometimes etch (Or is that the same thing?) :teeth:
Reply 6
Original post by medbh4805
Haitch. Come at me.

Haitch is not dialectual. It may have become a common usage, but it has not done so as part of any particular dialect. It is just a frequently made error.
For God's sake, this thread was done to death in June. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32522935&highlight=haitch

Anyway, "haitch", and it's due to my dialect.

Edit: Some people need to take themselves of their high horse considering the neg I and others have received on this inane and pointless issue.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mja
Haitch is not dialectual. It may have become a common usage, but it has not done so as part of any particular dialect. It is just a frequently made error.

Yes it has. Haitch is the prevalent form used in Hiberno-English. How do we define standard usage in English? We go by popular usage because we aren't linguistic fascists like the French. Deal with it.
Original post by Einheri
Both are acceptable usage, with 'aitch' being more common (and what I use).

aitch is the 'snobby way' (That's what I was told as a kid), but I've moved into using it now anyway.
Reply 10
Haitch. I say Orr as well.

Sue me.
AITCH. always! it infuriates me when people say "haitch".
Reply 12
Original post by medbh4805
Haitch. Come at me.

This.

Haitch.

I'm from Yorkshire. It's how we talk :tongue:
Reply 13
"Advice on everyday issues" ??

#firstworldproblems
Original post by Raza098

I say 'aitch'.
I say 'H'.
Reply 16
My Northern Irish friend told me that, in Northern Ireland, the Catholics say 'haitch' and the Protestants say 'aitch', or the other way round.

Anyway, they're all wrong. It's obviously pronounced "hee", as in "bee" and "cee" and "dee" and "ee" and "fee" and "gee".
Reply 17
how could you not pronounce the H in haitch? that would be weird, do you say Ello instead of Hello?
Reply 18
Original post by Ch1pp0
Stupid people say "Haitch" because they can't understand how a letter of the alphabet can have a name that isn't phonetically linked to its pronunciation in common usage.

are you one of those weirdos that pronounces Z as zed?
Haitch is almost always a hypercorrection. 'Aitch' is the version found in the dictionary and the correct way to pronounce it.

Latest

Trending

Trending