Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydemikaela)
    So aitch is a word but haitch isn't?
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procerus)
    are you one of those weirdos that pronounces Z as zed?
    Oh god, I bet you use spellings like 'color', 'honor' and 'defense'.

'Zed' is the English standard pronunciation, 'Zee' American.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydemikaela)
    But Aitch is not a word.
    From my copy of the Oxford English dictionary 1997:

aitch n. The name of the letter H. drop one's aitches fail to pronounce the initial h in words. [Old French ache]

ReputationRep:
    Aitch (Y)

ReputationRep:
    i used to say aitch, but it seems pretty pointless to ignore that 'h'. Although for some reason some people never pronounce any 'h's anyway. how very umourous.

ReputationRep:
    I say haitch. Saying aitch sounds chavvy, even though that's the proper way to pronounce it. "Like, you want a pint mate? Eh? Aitch?"

ReputationRep:
    Aitch my lover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ch1pp0)
    Stupid people say "Haitch" because they can't understand how a letter of the alphabet can have a name that isn't phonetically linked to its pronunciation in common usage.
    This.

You wouldn't pronounce the letter 'W' as 'wouble you', so why is the letter H any different?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard haitch/aitch is a Catholic/Protestant shibboleth in NI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procerus)
    why would you not pronounce the T's?
    I've no idea. Where I live, enunciation isn't exactly valued...

I do wish that elocution was more widely taught and wasn't classified as elitist. I've no issue with regional accents, but it does get irritating when half of the teenagers you talk to sound like they're drunk or have mouths full of cotton wool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingme)
    i used to say aitch, but it seems pretty pointless to ignore that 'h'. Although for some reason some people never pronounce any 'h's anyway. how very umourous.
    There isn't a 'h' at the beginning of 'aitch' though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Dolan)
    There isn't a 'h' at the beginning of 'aitch' though?
    well I just put it there because it just sounds right.

ReputationRep:
    Haitch. I think most Northerners do tbh, and the ones that don't are just trying to fit in with Southerners.

ReputationRep:
    Haitch. That's the way I've been pronouncing it since I've been little, even though my mum has told me the correct way to pronounce it is aitch.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16224339

"Indeed the younger you are, the more likely you are to make says rhyme with lays rather than fez, ate rhyme with late rather than bet and to add a whole new syllable to mischievous, turning it in to miss-CHEEVY-us rather than MISS-chiv-us."

But I thought this was how you pronounced words Why have I never been corrected?!

ReputationRep:
    'Aitch' is the correct way to pronounce the letter's name. Just because 'H' makes the sound of a 'huh' in common parlance, that doesn't mean its name contains a 'huh' sound.

'Aitch' is the correct way.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raza098)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/16224339

"Indeed the younger you are, the more likely you are to make says rhyme with lays rather than fez, ate rhyme with late rather than bet and to add a whole new syllable to mischievous, turning it in to miss-CHEEVY-us rather than MISS-chiv-us."

But I thought this was how you pronounced words Why have I never been corrected?!
    Language changes, pronunciation changes. There's no 'correct' way of pronouncing words, just a load of 'standard' ways within different accents within different time periods. As long as people understand you, how you pronounce words is fine.

I say 'haitch'- it's partly accent and partly hypercorrection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    enn-haitch-ess

:holmes:
    Are you god? You genuinely are EVERYWHERE! :crazy:

I say Haitch... #fu**yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingme)
    well I just put it there because it just sounds right.
    That's like saying that elephant is pronounced helephant because it sounds right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.