Montagne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am currently in Year 12, and wish to do A-level Biology. Obviously, I can't change my subjects now as it is too late, but I was wondering whether it was possible to do both AS and A2 Biology in Year 13. I know it is hard work, but I am prepared to put in the effort.

Does anyone know if this is possible?
isp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its possible. You could do the AS in Y12 and A2 in Y13.
spoinkytheduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yup its possible, my friend is doing just that (although it can be quite difficult as the knowledge from unit 2 is required to do unit 4 But its manageable)
Basically, it depends on whether your college will allow you to do it.
I'd say dont do it unless you really have to for the course you want to do though.. otherwise its a lot of bother for no real reason.
Hope that helps
Supermassive_muse_fan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Montagne)
I am currently in Year 12, and wish to do A-level Biology. Obviously, I can't change my subjects now as it is too late, but I was wondering whether it was possible to do both AS and A2 Biology in Year 13. I know it is hard work, but I am prepared to put in the effort.

Yes of course you can, a friend of mine did the same as he wanted to apply for Medicine and hadn't taken it in year 12. He put the work in and got an A.

I transferred sixthforms in the middle of my A-levels (changed into a reputable grammar school - it was rubbish and ended up getting C's, and I'd never gotten a C before).

So, ended up changing Biology examboard from AQA to OCR because of the transfer. Had to redo coursework and all the modules from year 12 of AQA but do exams and coursework for year 13 of OCR whilst also learning year 12 of OCR because of synoptic exam. Got a high A.

Had to work incredibly hard but totally doable. I'd advise getting a lot of past papers as they are very helpful!

All the best
blahblah772
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

yeah, I did biology and chemistry in one year.
Montagne
Rep:
?
Thank you for all of your responses!

Just to clarify, it is possible to do three other A2 subjects as well as AS & A2 Biology in Year 13?
Masderchef
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Just to clarify, it is possible to do three other A2 subjects as well as AS & A2 Biology in Year 13?
What else are you studying?
Supermassive_muse_fan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Would advise against this. You'll get a full A-level in Biology, so no need to do 3 other full A-levels. What do you want to study if you don't mind me asking?
Millie4Ever
Report 7 years ago
Unless you really want a career that involves biology and I assume u don't otherwise you would've taken it at the beginning of yr 12 don't put yourse;f through it!!! If you're going for OCR there is so much to learn it is like 2 A Levels, and doing it in 1 year.... I'm predicted an A/A* and I find it difficult, it comsumes so much time and so you need alot of it to fit all the work and revision in. If you want to do well in your other subjects you don't want to be worrying about AS AND A2 biology, why don't you just do AS?
Montagne
Rep:
?
I'm currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Economics and History, all at AS level. I plan to drop History next year and take the remaining subjects to A2. If my college allows it, I would ideally want to do full A level Biology as well.

At university, I'd like to study either medicine or other medical-related subjects. I know Biology isn't essential to all universities, but I don't want to be disadvantaged anyway.
Masderchef
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
During my A2 study, I took AS Maths. Maybe I could have crashed A2 in also. But I have also taken AS and A2 Biology. The volume of content for A2 Biology is ridiculous in itself.

I would say getting an A in Biology over 1 year is close to impossible. If your college allow you to take it along with your other subjects you risk causing your academic study some problems.
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does this happen in your school -- or externally, e.g. via Distance Learning?
Montagne
Rep:
?
Thanks, Masderchef. I'll think about doing just the AS, then. I'll try to contact the head of Biology and see what she says.

Id: Apparently, it happens a lot in my college. My friends said that there are Y13 students in their Maths (/further maths) class who are doing both AS and A2 Maths. Another friend says that he is going to do both AS and A2 Physics next year. As far as I'm aware, there are no distance learning options in my college.
Supermassive_muse_fan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently studying Maths, Chemistry, Economics and History, all at AS level. I plan to drop History next year and take the remaining subjects to A2. If my college allows it, I would ideally want to do full A level Biology as well.

At university, I'd like to study either medicine or other medical-related subjects. I know Biology isn't essential to all universities, but I don't want to be disadvantaged anyway.
Biology helps A LOT though but it requires a lot of effort.

I'd advise do full Biology, keeps Maths & Chem. Economics is going to require a lot of work! But again it's up to you, you know what you are capable of. Just be careful you don't take on too much, better to do very highly in a fewer subjects than mediocre in a lot.

And concentrate on what you need for university, after all A-levels are a gateway to university so choose what you need to make that step.
Sazziiee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone donne BIO CHEM and MATHS alevel in a year?[
Dorsaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hello, how did you manage to do biology and chemistry all in one year, did you get a private tutor or was it all independent work?
Dorsaaaa
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by blahblah772)
yeah, I did biology and chemistry in one year.
Hello, I am looking to try accomplish this as well however it seems and sounds impossible to do! I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on how you accomplished this. Did you do these independently, college or private tutor?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (21)
65.63%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
15.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
18.75%

Watched Threads