littleone271
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, this may seem like a silly question but I'm sure I can't be the only one whose wondering about it lol.
Basically I've applied to study psychology with criminal behaviour/forensic psychology at southampton solent, portsmouth, bedfordshire and UEL. I've heard that there's a 'no pets allowed policy' in some halls of residence but the pets that I'd be bringing aren't like cats or dogs. I have two giant african land snails and a goldfish. I could leave the goldfish at home but my family aren't going to want to clean out my snail tank because they think my snails are gross and they don't really know how to handle them and things or what to do when certain things happen.
Is the no pets rule something that is actually enforced because I know that some university halls actually have rules against overnight visitors and obviously nobody pays attention to that lol.
Aeschylus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Totally unrelated but girlfriend's flatmate in first year brought a coral snake (or a milk snake, whichever one's the poisonous one) to university. Kept it in a tank, fed it rats he kept in the freezer, hid it when the cleaner came in. Apart from one quite worrying afternoon when they lost it, didn't seem to have a problem.
stepbyfaith
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It will totally depend on the university and the accommodation though the majority tend to have a no pets policy. Though like you said, we all ignore the limit on guests and the policy banning candles so if you're going to remember to hide them every week for the cleaner (and the rare fire alarm tests), and make sure they can't be seen from the window, you'll be fine.
littleone271
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aeschylus)
Totally unrelated but girlfriend's flatmate in first year brought a coral snake (or a milk snake, whichever one's the poisonous one) to university. Kept it in a tank, fed it rats he kept in the freezer, hid it when the cleaner came in. Apart from one quite worrying afternoon when they lost it, didn't seem to have a problem.
Oh really? do cleaners go into the bedrooms then? And I have actually been thinking about getting a leopard gecko lol not that I should even be thinking about adding to my collection...
LTC1409
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by littleone271)
Hi, this may seem like a silly question but I'm sure I can't be the only one whose wondering about it lol.
Basically I've applied to study psychology with criminal behaviour/forensic psychology at southampton solent, portsmouth, bedfordshire and UEL. I've heard that there's a 'no pets allowed policy' in some halls of residence but the pets that I'd be bringing aren't like cats or dogs. I have two giant african land snails and a goldfish. I could leave the goldfish at home but my family aren't going to want to clean out my snail tank because they think my snails are gross and they don't really know how to handle them and things or what to do when certain things happen.
Is the no pets rule something that is actually enforced because I know that some university halls actually have rules against overnight visitors and obviously nobody pays attention to that lol.

I'm going to say that they're probably not allowed and can only suggest the proper way around it is to ring the universities and ask. However, considering they're in a tank/cage and that your uni accom mightn't be checked very much... TBH I'm not sure what they would do if they found out you had some GIANT snails! It's also worth remembering that if you go into private accom in second/third year landlords may be picky about pets.

I happen to think that having some land snails would be kinda cool though.
MiaMoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh really? do cleaners go into the bedrooms then? And I have actually been thinking about getting a leopard gecko lol not that I should even be thinking about adding to my collection...
Don't want to start an unrelated discussion here, but animals are living creatures, they're not some sort of "collectible". You're already having trouble finding a place for your animals and you're thinking about getting another one?! Btw - you have only one goldfish? You know you need to have at least two?
UGH. If you can' take care of them properly you shouldn't have them. And don't get more.
littleone271
Rep:
?
(Original post by LTC1409)
I'm going to say that they're probably not allowed and can only suggest the proper way around it is to ring the universities and ask. However, considering they're in a tank/cage and that your uni accom mightn't be checked very much... TBH I'm not sure what they would do if they found out you had some GIANT snails! It's also worth remembering that if you go into private accom in second/third year landlords may be picky about pets.

I happen to think that having some land snails would be kinda cool though.

Well the problem with my snails is that they breed like crazy unless you keep removing the eggs and killing them (humanely of course by putting them in the freezer). It's because of their breeding habits and the rate at which they can munch through veg that it's illegal to let them loose in the wild. A landlord definitely wouldn't have a clue that I had snails. It's a small tank and they don't make any noise or smells or anything, they don't even require a heat mat or any special lighting. To be honest I don't like the idea of cleaners coming into my room at all!
jmfc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, suddenly I don't feel so different! In a perfect world I'd also be able to take my pets with me everywhere!

Since it's a small pet, it must be allowed, but perhaps you'd be better off checking that in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
gm15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well i've never heard of the cleaners actually cleaning bedrooms. I think they mean when somebody from the uni staff comes and inspects your room and flat once or twice a term to check you are clean and tidy.
littleone271
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiaMoo)
Don't want to start an unrelated discussion here, but animals are living creatures, they're not some sort of "collectible". You're already having trouble finding a place for your animals and you're thinking about getting another one?! Btw - you have only one goldfish? You know you need to have at least two?
UGH. If you can' take care of them properly you shouldn't have them. And don't get more.
I can take care of them properly. If worse came to worse and I couldn't take them with me then my family and friends would look after them for me. I don't mistreat animals.
I don't NEED more than one goldfish. My goldfish is perfectly happy on his own. I rescued him from a friend who wasn't treating him right so don't accuse me of mistreating animals. Before I came along he was living in a coke bottle filled with untreated water. I adopted him and now he has a nice tank with ornaments, a filter, treated water and he's fed regularly.
I'm not going to get any more, I want a leopard gecko but I'm not going to get one any time soon!
LTC1409
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MiaMoo)
My family had one goldfish for years (well, we originally started with three, but the first two died and I only remember ever having the one). Anyway my point is it lived for fricking ages! I remember it being around from when I was little until I was about 16 when it died! We cleaned out it's tank and fed it and stuff and it was fine. It's a goldfish for flippin' sake!

OP, it depends on where you live whether the cleaners will come into your room or not. When I was at uni, were responsible for keeping our room tidy, and the cleaner only ventured into the communal kitchen and bathrooms. The only time anyone 'official' looked around my room was once during an 'inspection' during the first term. They basically knocked on the door, had a glance at the room, said it was fine and left.

Maybe you could just keep the tank in a place not easily visible. I do however agree with not adding to your 'collection' just yet.
Persephone9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most uni managed accommodation doesn't allow pets, and I'd probably be hard to find a landlord who would allow pets in a non-horrible student house.

However, I'm not allowed candles in my room and I'm not certain that I'm allowed to have a pole up either, so as long as you're prepared to hide them when necessary/pay for any damage they might cause then it should be fine. Usually you will get a bit of notice if people are coming into a private area that you rent.
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My family had one goldfish for years (well, we originally started with three, but the first two died and I only remember ever having the one). Anyway my point is it lived for fricking ages! I remember it being around from when I was little until I was about 16 when it died! We cleaned out it's tank and fed it and stuff and it was fine. It's a goldfish for flippin' sake!

OP, it depends on where you live whether the cleaners will come into your room or not. When I was at uni, were responsible for keeping our room tidy, and the cleaner only ventured into the communal kitchen and bathrooms. The only time anyone 'official' looked around my room was once during an 'inspection' during the first term. They basically knocked on the door, had a glance at the room, said it was fine and left.

Maybe you could just keep the tank in a place not easily visible. I do however agree with not adding to your 'collection' just yet.
You sure your parents didn't just keep replacing the fish?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dunno what your flatmates are going to think about you freezing giant snails eggs in the freezer... But it'll probably put them off stealing your food when you tell them.
CoffeeStinks
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In the accommodation that I'm in we have a no pets rule. Also, cleaners come in once a month because we have en suite to check the up keep of the bathroom and do a once over.
LTC1409
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gm15)
You sure your parents didn't just keep replacing the fish?

Ha ha, maybe. TBH it did kinda get to the point where it was like 'oh for goodness sake!'

I can't say I was ever emotionally attached to the fish, so wouldn't have been THAT upset if it had 'gone' earlier, but we looked after it just fine whilst it was alive. Was sadder when the Cat and Guinea Pigs died.
littleone271
Rep:
?

Yeah 'collection' wasn't really the right word to use lol and I won't be getting any more pets any time soon! To be honest if it was a dangerous reptile or a mouse or something then I could understand the uni being a bit funny about it cos they can escape and cause problems but honestly I could leave the lid off my snails overnight and they probably wouldn't even bother sliming away lol even if they did then they'd only be a few metres away. Plus all they eat is vegetables and they're very handy for getting rid of things like slightly gone off lettuce or cucumber etc. I once took my snails to school with me for a presentation lol they really don't seem to mind being carted about. I could hide them easily so yeah I guess it should be ok...
littleone271
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
Dunno what your flatmates are going to think about you freezing giant snails eggs in the freezer... But it'll probably put them off stealing your food when you tell them.
They're really tiny it's just the number of the eggs that's the problem as they lay like 100-300 at a time. I always put them in clear sandwich bags though so they don't get into food or anything lol
LTC1409
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah 'collection' wasn't really the right word to use lol and I won't be getting any more pets any time soon! To be honest if it was a dangerous reptile or a mouse or something then I could understand the uni being a bit funny about it cos they can escape and cause problems but honestly I could leave the lid off my snails overnight and they probably wouldn't even bother sliming away lol even if they did then they'd only be a few metres away. Plus all they eat is vegetables and they're very handy for getting rid of things like slightly gone off lettuce or cucumber etc. I once took my snails to school with me for a presentation lol they really don't seem to mind being carted about. I could hide them easily so yeah I guess it should be ok...

Just take them to lectures with you. They could be like your little study mascots. Would certainly prove to be a talking point anyway! Do the snails have names? I need more details.
littleone271
Rep:
?
Just take them to lectures with you. They could be like your little study mascots. Would certainly prove to be a talking point anyway! Do the snails have names? I need more details.
HAHAHAA lol that's a great idea!
Yeah they're called roy and amanda. Technically neither one is male or female because they're hermaphrodites. I put nail varnish on their shells so I can tell them apart

I can't find any pictures of amanda but I've attached one of roy.
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (658)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (835)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.49%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.53%

Watched Threads