The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by .Missy
Ahh.. they did mine differently. They selected me for x rays and then I had to do a hard x ray assessment. It was soo hard :/ I haven't done any training. Have to wait until my screening is done. Is it long? I don't want my coming exams to be affected.. but i soo want to work in the olympics :frown:

Hopefully they provide u with flexible training times, they should do cause theres always training sessions on going, i heard it was easy :/ my screening took around 3-4 weeks mayb even more forgot now but yh just keep them docz ready to scan over to them or something..
Reply 241
Original post by ostego
I had my interview on 12th march, got the call about references (as i'd missed one out on the application) around 2 weeks ago.....

Since then, my app still says sent to screening, and i've asked the personal references and they havent heard a word from them.

Similar thing is happening with a mate of mine who had his interview a month before mine, he had the call, and as far as i know hasnt heard from them since.

I'm considering phoning the woman who called me regarding the references on the number she left on my voicemail and asking her what is going on with the application, has anyone else tried this?

NEED a job for summer, and if this isnt going to work out, i need to know ASAP so i can apply for others!!

Tell me about it, my interview was on the 26th of jan. Got called up about reference and crap on around the 5th of march and still nothing. Tomorrow ill approach 12 weeks :/
Reply 242
Original post by kingcoltzan
For London I read somewhere it was meant to be "London Living wage" which was between £8.00 - 8.50 / hour. Which isn't bad at all... But if I pass clearing and get the job I will report back :smile:

The rates of pay are dependant on if you are licensed or not. Normally starting at £6.50 up to £8.50

Supervisors get more and without experience you may still get the job if you are switched on and competent.

I am/was a G4S Manager and have often used 1st timers as my Supervisors
Reply 243
Original post by Lintu93
Applied for this on a whim quite a few months ago and at the time I didn't know what the job would entail. Got a phonecall from them a few days ago asking me to book an interview. Only just realised it's a security job... I'm a girl, 5'1, bit thin, incredibly weak, got no muscle. Would I have any chance of getting the job??

Size and sex are irrelevant, some of the best security staff I have had working for me are girls and some even short. Use what ever you have to your advantage. its all about learning to deal with people and being confident.

Once you have done your first day you will be surprised how easy it is.

Rolling around on the floor fighting means something has gone wrong somewhere and the key is to use your skills.

Ive walked people out without them even realising what has happened and closed the door behind them on my way back in.

You will be fine, the biggest advantage to having the SIA license is you have a badge and a qualification so get paid more then a Steward who does the same thing for less money

I hope that bit was highlighted enough :smile:
Went to interview for Wimbledon tennis turns out you cant work for both g4s London events and g4s Olympics due to some stupid technical problem relating to payroll numbers, screening or something.
Reply 245
Got an email saying...

You have been selected to attend PSA/OSA Screener ( Bag Loader, Pacer, EAC Operator) training.

Then it says it's a four day SIA Door Supervisor course.

Does anyone know what the four day course entails?!
And is this PSA/OSA Screener now my definite job? Anyone know what it is lol?
Reply 246
Original post by niyaz93
Hopefully they provide u with flexible training times, they should do cause theres always training sessions on going, i heard it was easy :/ my screening took around 3-4 weeks mayb even more forgot now but yh just keep them docz ready to scan over to them or something..

Ahh Ok thanks :smile:
Reply 247
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
Went to interview for Wimbledon tennis turns out you cant work for both g4s London events and g4s Olympics due to some stupid technical problem relating to payroll numbers, screening or something.

I would question that again, Is Adriaan your Line Manager. The problem is other events are still happening and G4S are desperate for staff for those as well as Olympics.

I have seen them try that line before. Its all tosh, I have worked for many different departments of G4S and use the same number throughout so I can see money on ESS etc
Reply 248
do u need to be physically big to apply for a security job? im 19 but look like a 15yr old! lol im 5' 7.5
Reply 249
Original post by Blaze008
do u need to be physically big to apply for a security job? im 19 but look like a 15yr old! lol im 5' 7.5

no it doesnt, not at all
Reply 250
Original post by .Missy
Ahh Ok thanks :smile:

no problem :biggrin:x
Reply 251
Original post by niyaz93
no it doesnt, not at all

i jus applied one minute ago and i got an interview on the 3rd/ 4th. what are the chances of me gettin the job? im not good with interviews with loads of people around!
Reply 252
Original post by oiMr
Got my Interview booked today, just wondering if anyone else has one,

got to go to upton park to westham stadium

so not going to wear a suite just smart casual clothes..

any advice

got the same interview on the 4th!! how did urs go?:smile:
Reply 253
Original post by niyaz93

i got a invitation for training, it starts on may 7 what exactly will i get to do in my training ,but my application status still says "sent to screening" .

is denim ok to wear for training ?
Original post by Mickimus
I would question that again, Is Adriaan your Line Manager. The problem is other events are still happening and G4S are desperate for staff for those as well as Olympics.

I have seen them try that line before. Its all tosh, I have worked for many different departments of G4S and use the same number throughout so I can see money on ESS etc

don't know who Adriaan is
its stupid but its done now my Wimbledon application has now moved to unsuccessful guess that means I cant apply for london events for 6 months now?
I made the choice of having an olympic interview they kinda put me on the spot halfway through my interview giving me about 10 secs to decide what to do.
shame as i was really hoping to do both events plus some races etc

some people where also refused to be interviewed because they had already been enrolled via G4s olympics
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 255
If you applied for the olympics job and still in the screening phase, how can you apple for wimbledon? I couldnt apply through the site as they will take the same steps as the olympics job which will then create a double application? Would I wait after i hear back from G4S regarding olympics then try to apply for another event?
Thanks
Original post by marakanti
i got a invitation for training, it starts on may 7 what exactly will i get to do in my training ,but my application status still says "sent to screening" .

My training dates for 7 may too. There saying we should wear a white shirt, black tie and trousers.. Denim's not allowed i dont think.
Reply 257
Original post by Blaze008
i jus applied one minute ago and i got an interview on the 3rd/ 4th. what are the chances of me gettin the job? im not good with interviews with loads of people around!

the interview is really easily, you most likely to pass it, its the process of screening/vetting and training that can take up time but if you put ur mind to it youll be fine..
Reply 258
Original post by marakanti

yeah denim is fine for further training, it depends which training youve been invited for if your doing the door supervision id advise you to wear smart then last day you should wear loose clothing and depends which training it is they teach you different stuff from searches to defence etc..
(edited 11 years ago)
I too have the email saying ive been selected for the PSA/OSA Screener ( Bag Loader, Pacer, EAC Operator) training.

My training is on 7th May to 11th.

Where are others travelling from to attend this training? As I am having great difficulty in finding adequate transport- Trains from here will cost me £75 a day, as well as having to leave at 5:30am daily!!!

Would be great to hear others transport methods, and if you live close to me we could maybe travel together!!

xxxx

Quick Reply