The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know where we pick up our Accreditation? Is it at the G4S training centre in Stratford? Anyone know whether its possible to pick up our stuff during a day when we are training to save on travel costs?
Original post by hardleyouth
Ah you've been selected for a managers role too! Do you have any previous experience? Or are you in the same boat as me?

No managerial experience at all, just finished college this year. but i worked different places such as in gov , teaching etc. do you know any thing about the pay, i didn't want to ask her.
Original post by Prodigy
Lol G4S is so stupid it's unreal. Congratulations to all of you that have been offered managerial roles, but unless it's in some sort of admin, I think it's a real mistake to make un experienced people managers on the front line.

they will provide some sort of managerial training, keep waiting who knows you open your mail managerial role for you, they are confused.
I received an email from Recruitment coordinator designing my role as a Perimeter Security Manager and before that i was told my role was Search and Screen Manager, this is ridiculous which one to go for, am confused as them.
Original post by Prodigy
Yeah go for it, great pay, good experience.

In other news, I missed my SIA training as I've given up on G4S now, still no contact from them lol.

Well precisely my point, if I can pull it off, having managerial experience with a global firm like G4S on my CV will look AMAZING at 18, perhaps a good reference too. However, I'm not looking forward to learning as I go in such a serious situation :')

Original post by Erazor
Lol I hope the x-ray managers are not in similar situation... I just got this image in my head now, asking a young manager what to do a with a potential bomb threat and him saying "stick ya finger in and find out innit" :biggrin:

ahaha, I imagine there must be some experienced managers, will be interesting to see how intense the training is! However, I doubt I'll learn THAT much to be some expert 'Perimeter Security Manager' in 3 days! :smile:
Original post by al_habib
No managerial experience at all, just finished college this year. but i worked different places such as in gov , teaching etc. do you know any thing about the pay, i didn't want to ask her.

Ah, I had the cheek to ask, and although she didn't have a specific job description for my role, she assured me that I'd be on £15 an hour! Nigh on triple my current wage! :redface: 12 hour shifts, 5 days on, 3 days off!
they will provide some sort of managerial training, keep waiting who knows you open your mail managerial role for you, they are confused.

Yeh there's a 3 day course I have to attend for my managers role, next wednesday, thursday and Friday! Job specific training
Another thing the woman she was kind of begging me to do the door supervision training again after i've done with BTG, what do you think guys shall i do the training again coz already i passed the training and got my reference no.
Yeh there's a 3 day course I have to attend for my managers role, next wednesday, thursday and Friday! Job specific training

same as me, are you from manchester and do you know where you are going to meet before you depart to london
Ah, I had the cheek to ask, and although she didn't have a specific job description for my role, she assured me that I'd be on £15 an hour! Nigh on triple my current wage! :redface: 12 hour shifts, 5 days on, 3 days off!

£15 thats a good pay, work my socks off in the training.
Yay, last day of PSA training today :smile: now just waiting for some form of letter, email or call about my SIA badge, accreditation, uniform and where/when I'll be working...mind you, still haven't passed screening yet :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Another thing the woman she was kind of begging me to do the door supervision training again after i've done with BTG, what do you think guys shall i do the training again coz already i passed the training and got my reference no.

Are you sure its the same training and not the role specific course shes asking you to do?
Original post by Jetblast
Anyone know where we pick up our Accreditation? Is it at the G4S training centre in Stratford? Anyone know whether its possible to pick up our stuff during a day when we are training to save on travel costs?

No its from the UDAC centre in westham, or at least the address i was given was; 101 Stephenson Street, West Ham, London, E16 4SA. :smile: the stratford centre is for training and uniform collection i believe but i could be mistaken :smile:
same as me, are you from manchester and do you know where you are going to meet before you depart to london

£15 thats a good pay, work my socks off in the training.

Bliming heck you're travelling from Manchester??? I'm further south, I'm in Northampton, about an hour train outside London! You living in London during the games I presume?

aha yes I know, I'm going to study the things they sent me in the email earlier hard! Did you receive the booklet for the SIA training as an email attachment too?
Reply 1375

There's you answer right there, government work.

Guy on one of our courses was TL, previous worked for the government.

Good luck to yous, I wouldn't fancy doing the job straight out of college.

Another twist to my tale, phones them today to ask about my lack of training in psa, done guard training as I was apparently down for patrol team, but was fitted for a psa uniform.

There no record of me on the system.

The more I deal with then, the more I realise what a shambles they are.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cl_steele
No its from the UDAC centre in westham, or at least the address i was given was; 101 Stephenson Street, West Ham, London, E16 4SA. :smile: the stratford centre is for training and uniform collection i believe but i could be mistaken :smile:

Thanks
Original post by tkm18
There's you answer right there, government work.

Guy on one of our courses was TL, previous worked for the government.

Good luck to yous, I wouldn't fancy doing the job straight out of college.

Another twist to my tale, phones them today to ask about my lack of training in psa, done guard training as I was apparently down for patrol team, but was fitted for a psa uniform.

There no record of me on the system.

The more I deal with then, the more I realise what a shambles they are.

Where's my answer? I've worked on the market, McDonalds, and now I'm a cleaner for god sake! :biggrin: :') Only relevant experience I have is I have been a steward with casual security duties twice! .....it's going to be an interesting summer that's for sure!! :colondollar:
I reckon the PSA roles were a priority so these were filled first and they are just putting bodies into roles with no real consideration of previous experience etc.
They're in a hurry to fill up roles so will place anyone on anything- so long as nobody makes any massive mistakes during the Games then G4S look good and then nobody cares how old/experienced the managers were
Reply 1379
Where's my answer? I've worked on the market, McDonalds, and now I'm a cleaner for god sake! :biggrin: :') Only relevant experience I have is I have been a steward with casual security duties twice! .....it's going to be an interesting summer that's for sure!! :colondollar:

Likes a said, not having a go at you, fair play for getting the job.

Just a strange appointment in my opinion.

Keep us updated as to how it works out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending