Are you "Reading" or "Studying" your subject at university?

Watch
yomomalomo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've always wondered whether it was more correct to say that your are reading your subject e.g. "I am reading law at BLABLA university", rather than to say that you are studying it. Is this something that is subject specific - can you only read art subjects for example - or is it university specific?

So... what do you think?
Mr Dangermouse
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People who say the read a subject tick me off. You read a book, not an entire subject.
yomomalomo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
People who say the read a subject tick me off. You read a book, not an entire subject.
It seems usually as though Oxbridge students say this, but I cannot completely discriminate against them - I've heard many others say this from other universities, but usually they are studying/reading the arts.

Are you studying a Science by any chance? :P
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not doing either. I'm coasting. :cool:
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I say study, but in any correspondence from the universities I applied to they said read. e.g. We would like to give you an offer to read Medicine at Cardiff University.
innerhollow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Either is correct, there's more than one way to express a certain phrase. "To read a subject" is pretty uncommon a phrase though, and it's usually (for no particular reason) used for literary subjects; for example "I'm reading History at X Uni" would be less bizarre than, "I'm reading Engineering at X Uni". Older universities tend to use this phrase more too, Oxbridgers seem to be "reading" their course significantly more often than any other students.
chiliman14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm learning things a month before exams and coasting the rest of it
NotSoCool.Fly
Badges: 11
Report 8 years ago
they say studying here but tbh i am not studying i just DONT REVISE
-aimz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I say studying, I think reading sounds too old-fashioned.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It irritates me when people ask if I'm applying to "read" pharmacy. It's a vocational subject with lots of practical elements so no, I will not just be reading. Still, they're still nice people. Just me nit-picking.
truthandtragedy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Reading sounds posh and pretentious, in my opinion.
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe I'm just common but I wouldn't really say either. "I'm doing languages and law" :yy:
yomomalomo
Rep:
?
It is looking pretty ominous for the term "reading a subject". I suppose that is due to the fact that most subjects outside Pure Arts encompass a lot more than just theoretical learning nowadays. Nevertheless, there surely must be someone on TSR willing to defend it! :rolleyes:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I "read" Music at Oxford but wouldn't necessarily say I'm "reading" ethnomusicology for my Masters. I'd say "studying" or, as xmarilynx says, "doing"
srascal8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"Reading" just sounds really pretentious and up your own arse to be honest. I think it should be reserved for Oxbridgees, simply because they are of the academic elite. But it would be better, if everyone just said "study", you go to university to study a subject don't you?!
yomomalomo
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I "read" Music at Oxford but wouldn't necessarily say I'm "reading" ethnomusicology for my Masters. I'd say "studying" or, as xmarilynx says, "doing"
Just wondering, what do your fellow Oxonians usually say?
bouillabaisse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Reading as most of my degree involves reading! I'd say you 'study' subjects such as medicine, physics, maths etc, and you 'read' subjects such as Literature, History and Law; simply because I feel the words compliment the subjects best.

It hardly makes a difference anyway, people can refer to what they are doing at university however they want. It's boorish to make some sort of judgement on what word they use.
Aeschylus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Reading - I do a literature degree so I believe it's justified!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think "reading for" is probably more formal - it's always the older & better spoken friends & family who ask me what I'm reading at university.

However, I tend to say that I'm "doing" politics at uni
Wednesday Bass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I tend to use "reading" on things like CVs and covering letters, I think it's more formal. Otherwise I'm doing Computer Science and Maths.

However, both "reading" and "studying" are equally correct.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (175)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.12%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.75%

Watched Threads