The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5740
This is on twitter at the moment so take it with a pinch of salt.

http://www.sky.de/web/cms/de/bundesliga-lukas-podolski-wechselt-offenbar-nach-london.jsp

We have agreed personal terms with Podolski apparently. Fee still need to be agreed by clubs.
what are peoples thoughts on lucas from sao paulo? ?
Original post by Colonel.

i don't get it :frown:
Original post by jilebinator
i don't get it :frown:

source / sauce :smile:
Reply 5744
According to my friend in Germany, their 'fan papers' are suggesting that Podolski is on his way to Arsenal, and that Götze is pushing for a move, if Arsenal make the champions league.

Before anyone has a go at me - I don't fully believe it - and I stress, this is only what a friend in Germany is saying!!
It also seems very vague, but it seems Low keeps praising Arsenal (perhaps eyeing up Wenger's job?!)
Podolski + Gotze and rvp doesn't leave would be a very good summer transfer window.
I don't see why Podolski would want to join a club without CL though? And this is 80% likely for me you won't. I mean if you get it i can see why Podoski would join then.

Ultimately i don't understand why Arsenal are pushing the rumour mill for top players now. It's a season too late. Should have been done last season. That said if you achieve top 4 this season then it's a risk which has paid off.
Reply 5747
Hmmm, imo Gotze + Podolski seems a pipe dream.
oh yh whatever happened to denilson??
Reply 5749
Original post by jilebinator
Podolski + Gotze and rvp doesn't leave would be a very good summer transfer window.

Surely though, we need to strengthen the defensive frailties by adding a CB (I don't see how Dojorou is a good enough rotation defender).
Original post by Gob Bluth
I don't see why Podolski would want to join a club without CL though? And this is 80% likely for me you won't. I mean if you get it i can see why Podoski would join then.

Ultimately i don't understand why Arsenal are pushing the rumour mill for top players now. It's a season too late. Should have been done last season. That said if you achieve top 4 this season then it's a risk which has paid off.

80% likely we won't? What have you been smoking? Nevermind finishing 4th, we could overtake Tottenham if they lose on Sunday as their confidence will just evaporate if it hasn't already. And I hope you realise Arsene Wenger has finished in the top four fifteen seasons in a row or something. Ridiculous comment to make. It's like me saying Swansea are 80% likely to get relegated when they're a credit to the league and should survive comfortably.

This is a dream but imagine if it happens:

Sczcesny; Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs; Song, Wilshere; Walcott, Gotze, Podolski; van Persie

#titlewinningteam
Original post by gunit123
Surely though, we need to strengthen the defensive frailties by adding a CB (I don't see how Dojorou is a good enough rotation defender).

he was only being played because all our defence was injured.

we have 3 good CB's: Kosc, TV5 and Mertesacker are good enough.

but having vertonghen would'nt hurt :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5752

Considering we are 4th atm and the others team fighting with us for the 4th place aren't really consistent either, 80% is a bit unfair.

Wrt Podolski he hasn't barely played contentinetal football his whole career so don't think it'll go against us if we can't offer him CL football.
Reply 5753
Original post by gunit123

Our defensive frailities is massively overhyed by the media. Not saying it doesn't need massive improvement but I can't help but feel that everytime we concede, everyone wants to blame it on schoolboy defending even when it isn't there.
Gob bluth is part WUM/part blind.

Saying that, I'd wait till the end of the weekend to decide how likely you are to get 4th. If you get dicked by Liverpool, it's going to become very hard. If you smash them, then very likely. Draw and it's anyones (with Chelsea being favourites).
If vermalean is back, I'll secretly be quite confident against liverpool.
Reply 5756
Original post by antonfigo
lmao...even if that is "true" I wont be celebrating too soon. It means nothing if RVP goes.

What? If RvP goes, atm we are currently without any decent strikers and may potentially have no CL to offer, having Podolski signed down would be huge.
Ultimately i don't understand why Arsenal are pushing the rumour mill for top players now. It's a season too late. Should have been done last season.

The club aren't. Kids from Asia on twitter are. Journos have always linked the club to big name signings and for some reason people fall for it. The only big name signing Arsenal have made in a long time is Arshavin.

That's why myself and a lot of Arsenal fans I know don't care too much about finishing 4th. Obviously we want to see the club play at the highest level, but it's hardly the end of the world. You hear garbage like "now Arsenal won't be able to attract top players"...I must've missed the vast number of top players we've signed in recent years.
Reply 5758
Out of interest, how much do people reckon we could get for Walcott if we shipped him out at the end of the season?
More like 70% then to be fair. That makes it 30% likely, which is in effect 1/3. Same as Liverpool for me. 40% for Chelsea. I don't see how after one good win against Tottenham that you are going to be more likely to get 4th? Seeing as before the game a lot of fans were saying top 4 is out of the question after the Milan and Sunderland games. It's just a general trend. I mean, i'm sure much of the fans would have said around 80% unlikely (20% likely) after being knocked out of 2 cups in a week. All of Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are inconsistent. All are capable. Just i think Chelsea are the most likely to get that bit of luck as they have the best squad of the 3.

Original post by Overmars
The club aren't. Kids from Asia on twitter are. Journos have always linked the club to big name signings and for some reason people fall for it. The only big name signing Arsenal have made in a long time is Arshavin.

That's why myself and a lot of Arsenal fans I know don't care too much about finishing 4th. Obviously we want to see the club play at the highest level, but it's hardly the end of the world. You hear garbage like "now Arsenal won't be able to attract top players"...I must've missed the vast number of top players we've signed in recent years.

True, but there is the off chance Wenger sees his youth project failing, and now has money to spend, judging from the big profits. So what better time than to change? Still unlikely i agree though of course.

Original post by Zerforax
Gob bluth is part WUM/part blind.

Cool story bro. Rather than people saying pointless things like that, prove me wrong? Sure i can wum sometimes, but it doesn't hurt to say why i'm wrong. And the half blind comment comes from nowhere
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest