The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Imagine, you beating us, us coming 4th, then we win the CL, that'll make my day. Although tottenham coming 4th would make my day too.

Who do you reckon will win out of us two?
Also who do you reckon will be in top 4?

I reckon we'll beat you guys at the Emirates. Our home form has been brilliant since the United defeat.

Top 4 I'm gonna go with

1.United
2.City
3.Arsenal
4.Spurs

It'll be a close race for the 3rd and 4th places but I reckon we'll just edge 3rd, although you guys winning the CL and Spurs having to play in the Europa despite getting 4th would be :rofl2:
Reply 7821
I would not want Chelsea winning the CL at all costs. If they win they'll be the first London team to win the CL and I do not want that at all. I don't care if Spurs qualify for the CL, Chelsea must get knocked out.
Chelsea won't win the Champions League and even if Spurs do qualify for next year they won't have 'arry so they're ****ed.

Also what are you all talking about?

It's clearly going to finish
1.United
2.Arsenal
3.City
4.Spurs

when we go and win the rest of our games this season and city lose the rest of theirs.....
what does an arsenal player do after losing to QPR 2-1........? perhaps reflects on the loss? maybe is upset and frustrated that his team should not losing these games....

nah...

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/football/2012/apr/03/managers-chamakh-taarabt-shisha-pipe?fb_source=other_multiline&fb_action_types=news.reads
I hadn't bothered with analysis of the QPR game but has anyone worked out what Arsene is doing playing Ramsey on the left? I realise he wasn't the reason Arsenal lost *cough* Vermaelen *cough*, but you've got Benayoun, Gervinho and Oxlade available... 7 wins on the bounce, worked very hard to build up a 3 point cushion -- keep things simple and play players in their right positions? Nah, lets start another ****in' project and piss it away.

The joke has gone on long enough now. Start Oxlade Chamberlain. Every ****in' game. He won't burn out, he only really started featuring after Christmas. There's no substitute for real quality. You've got Ramsey doing these stupid little flicks every game, Gervinho shying away from 50/50s and Gibbs spending more time in the opposition's half than his own, Song thinking he's ****in' Xavi, Vermaelen playing box-to-box...only Arteta and Theo are playing the roles they're meant to be playing. Can everyone get back to doing what they're supposed to be doing? It's not hard...just play players in their right positions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7825

:biggrin:
Original post by Overmars
I hadn't bothered with analysis of the QPR game but has anyone worked out what Arsene is doing playing Ramsey on the left? I realise he wasn't the reason Arsenal lost *cough* Vermaelen *cough*, but you've got Benayoun, Gervinho and Oxlade available... 7 wins on the bounce, worked very hard to build up a 3 point cushion -- keep things simple and play players in their right positions? Nah, lets start another ****in' project and piss it away.

The joke has gone on long enough now. Start Oxlade Chamberlain. Every ****in' game. He won't burn out, he only really started featuring after Christmas. There's no substitute for real quality. You've got Ramsey doing these stupid little flicks every game, Gervinho shying away from 50/50s and Gibbs spending more time in the opposition's half than his own, Song thinking he's ****in' Xavi, Vermaelen playing box-to-box...only Arteta and Theo are playing the roles they're meant to be playing. Can everyone get back to doing what they're supposed to be doing? It's not hard...just play players in their right positions.

To be fair, Wenger did intimate as much after the game: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-now-we-have-to-go-back-to-basics

Your posts lack bite since you changed avatar. :dry:

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2012/arsenal-3-0-villa-as-he-likes-it/

Interesting read :beard:
Reply 7829

I've got a theory that Arsene is playing Ramsey away from home because he believes him to be more defensively solid than either Gervinho or Alex.

He isn't though.

That or he thinks we can retain the ball for longer with Ramsey in the team.

But I agree it destroys our shape.

It is interesting. And I agree it's lazy to have the 4-4-2, big-man-little-man, big black guy as the enforcer etc. as the only model of success and clearly it's not true, but keeping things simple works. I'm even ok on the fact that Song is not our holding mid...that's Arteta, and he does a decent job at it. And Song plays a more attacking role, and that's fine too. Ramsey on the left is not fine but anyway -- regardless of position, it's what they do on the ball that can be annoying.

You have to look at Ferguson and Man Utd -- everyone knows their roles and don't try many flashy things. We've got Ramsey trying a backheel every 3 seconds and Song wasting every attack going for the lofted chip...and, you know what -- it will work every now and then...it's the law of averages. Van Persie would probably score 10 35-yard screamers a season if he tried 7 times every game. But he doesn't, because it does more harm than good to go for the hollywood attempts.

Can anyone realistically tell me what positions everyone were in for the last 15/20 mins of the QPR game? Rosicky and Oxlade as CMs. Song at CB. Vermaelen LB. Chamakh..well, who cares. When Man Utd are chasing the game against Blackburn, they don't do **** like that because it's crazy.

Arsenal win 7 league games in a row. Players have returned from injury. There are genuine options in most areas. So why mess with that and stick Ramsey out wide? You have to play your best team and I really don't know why Oxlade is not in it.

good to see park is still alive :tongue:

aiii yaiiii yaiiiiiiii :tongue:
It is interesting. And I agree it's lazy to have the 4-4-2, big-man-little-man, big black guy as the enforcer etc. as the only model of success and clearly it's not true, but keeping things simple works. I'm even ok on the fact that Song is not our holding mid...that's Arteta, and he does a decent job at it. And Song plays a more attacking role, and that's fine too. Ramsey on the left is not fine but anyway -- regardless of position, it's what they do on the ball that can be annoying.

You have to look at Ferguson and Man Utd -- everyone knows their roles and don't try many flashy things. We've got Ramsey trying a backheel every 3 seconds and Song wasting every attack going for the lofted chip...and, you know what -- it will work every now and then...it's the law of averages. Van Persie would probably score 10 35-yard screamers a season if he tried 7 times every game. But he doesn't, because it does more harm than good to go for the hollywood attempts.

Can anyone realistically tell me what positions everyone were in for the last 15/20 mins of the QPR game? Rosicky and Oxlade as CMs. Song at CB. Vermaelen LB. Chamakh..well, who cares. When Man Utd are chasing the game against Blackburn, they don't do **** like that because it's crazy.

Arsenal win 7 league games in a row. Players have returned from injury. There are genuine options in most areas. So why mess with that and stick Ramsey out wide? You have to play your best team and I really don't know why Oxlade is not in it.

I agree with everything you've said. I really can't understand why Wenger didn't sub of Ramsay very early in the second half, it clearly wasn't working.

I think the idea behind it was that QPR would be battling for it in midfield (and they did in many parts of the game) and having Ramsay on as a "winger" would help us control the game.

What it does though is unbalance the whole team, this isn't the first time as well Wenger has decided to start without a LW; playing four CM's and a RW which is ludicrous and even more so when we have two fit LW's available.

I don't blame the formation or the choice of players for the loss though, the players weren't focused enough and it was clear from the get-go. I'm tired of this silly roundabout where we play fantastic football and go on a run, then we get complacent and lose a few which fires us up and we go on another run.
The curse of the Arsenal no.9 is well known but this has to be the most transparent waste of a no.9 shirt in the history of football. It's so obviously for marketing reasons. The club should be forced to refund the Koreans for the Park shirt sales. It's such a con.
Newcastle are the only top club with a good number 9. Our last was Pav, Berbatov at Utd, Torres at Chelsea, Carroll at Liverpool... could go on.
Original post by rockrunride
Newcastle are the only top club with a good number 9. Our last was Pav, Berbatov at Utd, Torres at Chelsea, Carroll at Liverpool... could go on.

But they were all big money signings and were expected to become big players for the club. At the very least, they were given a fair chance before being written off.

This Park guy has been fit all season and doesn't even make the bench. He has made 1 sub appearance in the league. We're 31 games in and effectively played the season with only 1 striker (one that had the reputation of being injury-prone, at that).

The signing is a complete mystery. He's not a completely useless player. He can't be. He obviously can't be an amazing player either. But he scored 12 league goals last season at a 1 in 3 rate in the French league last year. And he has a good international record (1 in 2) and is the captain of his country. Remember him scoring a cracking goal in the Carling Cup this year too and has shown some good touches in the very limited time he has got. So it's not like he has been a liability when he has been on the pitch.

Makes absolutely no sense that failures like Chamakh get given a go and this guy doesn't. Even if he turns out to be crap -- nothing is lost because the alternative, Chamakh, is also crap. Does anyone get the logic of that? It seems clear cut to me. It's like the Almunia vs Szczesny situation again. It took Wenger a lot time to give Szczesny a chance even though Almunia was pissing away points every other game. Even if Szczesny turned out to be rubbish, he wouldn't have made things worse -- they were as bad as they could've got with that sieve in goal.

The fact that Park hasn't played suggests, to me, that Arsene had no intention of playing him. Strikes me to be a signing purely to sell shirts in Asia. 'Park no.9' makes him sound better to the Fifa kids buying the shirt rather than 'Park no.43'.
Got to go all the way back to Anelka for our last prolific No. 9, or maybe as far back as Alan Smith.
Van Persie was a fantastic no.9 for a while and maintained a solid goals/game ratio. The only problem was he played about 3 games.
I hadn't bothered with analysis of the QPR game but has anyone worked out what Arsene is doing playing Ramsey on the left?

It's the same old Wenger mistake of having too much faith in players who aren't performing. We've seen it with Denilson, we've seen it with Diaby, now we're seeing it with Ramsey. I'm not writing Ramsey off here, it's just at the moment nothing seems to be coming off for him, in fact he's actively slowing down our attacking play. Don't like to see him starting as CM let alone on the wing tbh. If his name is in the starting 11 vs City I will facepalm.
(edited 11 years ago)