The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Piers Morgan is an attention seeking and annoying ****.
Shame hes an Arsenal fan.
Reply 8261
Piers Morgan is such a joker :lol:
Original post by jit987
Piers Morgan is such a joker :lol:

He's a joke as well.
i like arsenals ethos and style of play. without wenger, it wouldn't be arsenal anymore.
one good thing about having a manager for 15 years.
Reply 8264
That eboue account is fake. Most of the Arsenal players don't share the same hatred of nasri that the fans do.
Ill be honest I wanted Wenger to leave. I love the man, he gave us so much success as a club in the early years of his tenure with us. That said by mid sewason my frustration had reached its apex. For years there would be gaping holes in our squad, obvious changes which need to be made and nothing happened. We need a right winger? stick Eboue there. Need a goalkeeper? Nope stay with a worse goalkeeper in the league or a kid with potential but no confidence. Honestly if Szczesny hadn't come good I doubt we would have got anyone. What's mor Wenger started to make absurd tactical decisions: AOC substitution, persisting with Ramsey, refusing to play Arshavin in the middle. Admittedly he's turned it around and well done to him but if the necessary changes are not made e.g. a back up striker and creative midfielder minimum I wouldn't be surprised if the disillusionment resurfaces
Chelsea now level on points and goal difference with tottenham but are currently still 5th, obviously I want chelsea to drop points, but it'd be quite interesting seeing spurs drop out of the top 4 for the first time in what? 6 months? Thats a heck of a long time.
Reply 8267
footballer's just need to get off twitter ffs.
Original post by milkytea
I actually agree with almost everything you've posted on this page, but please. Making a few sensible posts does not give you the right to condescend everybody. Most of us were sensible and rational when refuting your senseless trolling of this thread, too. Aside from defending Nasri, which is fair enough up to a point, you don't really have the right to take the moral high ground here. "Finally! Arsenal fans have seen the light and agree with me! At last, the senseless ones have become rational!" Seriously, just no. Four months or so ago you were saying that Wenger had gone senile and should be sacked and half the squad should be sold. Now he has been vindicated somewhat, you've changed your tune, but don't expect us all to forget your time as a massive WUM.

I can assure you it was never meant in a condescending way. I just meant that football fans generally aren't rational and intelligent irl. This forum generally has a largely intelligent base.

I should add that it was fun wuming this in its time. Not everything i said was meant, more to provoke reactions. Obviously with your success atm it's not so fun to wum :wink: But seriously, i think i was more pro Wenger more than most? Not that i was, but i have always thought there is little better option than Wenger for many reasons such as club loyalty, and the fact it's probably a lot of the board's fault. Wenger has still made crap loads of mistakes this season, tactically and transfer wise, and he should keep a lot of that blame for that, despite his inherent quality and way he has got the club back to 3rd/4th most likely.
(edited 12 years ago)
Via the arsenal-mania forum and Twitter:

Olivier Giroud: "My next step will be England. It has always been my dream." (Telefoot)

Koscielny: "If Olivier calls me I will tell him to come to Arsenal." (Telefoot)

Wenger asked if he is interested in Olivier Giroud. Big smile: "There's no big player in the world Arsenal aren't interested in." (Telefoot)

He's the top scorer in Ligue 1, with 18 goals in 28 games (33% of Montpellier's total goals this season) and 7 assists. Strengths are his 'aerial prowess, physicality and a surprisingly cultured left foot', and he looks set to become an integral part of the French Euro squad. Apparently Wenger has sent a scout to report on him for the rest of the season. The rumours that they will sell him for €50 million are LOL worthy though, but he looks like a much more promising striker than Chamakh ever was. That and he's BFFs with Koscielny :h:

Thoughts?
Reply 8270
Original post by Complex Simplicity
Ill be honest I wanted Wenger to leave. I love the man, he gave us so much success as a club in the early years of his tenure with us. That said by mid sewason my frustration had reached its apex. For years there would be gaping holes in our squad, obvious changes which need to be made and nothing happened. We need a right winger? stick Eboue there. Need a goalkeeper? Nope stay with a worse goalkeeper in the league or a kid with potential but no confidence. Honestly if Szczesny hadn't come good I doubt we would have got anyone. What's mor Wenger started to make absurd tactical decisions: AOC substitution, persisting with Ramsey, refusing to play Arshavin in the middle. Admittedly he's turned it around and well done to him but if the necessary changes are not made e.g. a back up striker and creative midfielder minimum I wouldn't be surprised if the disillusionment resurfaces

It wasn't just you, it was literally the entire society when you were in meltdown.

Times change eh?
Reply 8271
Dempsey!
Original post by TM94
It wasn't just you, it was literally the entire society when you were in meltdown.

Times change eh?

Times have changed. When your beloved club isn't competing to the level you expect it, obviously you start to question what's going wrong. If Newcastle went on a losing streak with this current side, surely you would start to question the management?

We as a society were irrational, fine. However, that's why we aren't in charge of the football club. We make knee-jerk decisions as fans (questionable with the lack of a trophy spread over a number of years) whilst the board are more considering with their judgement of Wenger. We aren't no angels but we have our club's best interest at heart.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
I can assure you it was never meant in a condescending way. I just meant that football fans generally aren't rational and intelligent irl. This forum generally has a largely intelligent base.

I should add that it was fun wuming this in its time. Not everything i said was meant, more to provoke reactions. Obviously with your success atm it's not so fun to wum :wink: But seriously, i think i was more pro Wenger more than most? Not that i was, but i have always thought there is little better option than Wenger for many reasons such as club loyalty, and the fact it's probably a lot of the board's fault. Wenger has still made crap loads of mistakes this season, tactically and transfer wise, and he should keep a lot of that blame for that, despite his inherent quality and way he has got the club back to 3rd/4th most likely.

OK. Well to be honest people should know better than to react emotionally to WUMming, but I still found your brand of it particularly objectionable.

My personal feeling on the subject of Wenger is that although I did not at any stage want Wenger to leave, at some points this was only because there was a lack of a viable alternative. He has made serious mistakes - there's no need to elaborate on these because we all know what they are. But he has actually shown a lot of managerial quality this season in my opinion. Say we had sacked him after the 8-2. I don't think we would be in this position right now. Wenger has a real knack of winning a lot of league games. You could say that RVP has carried us but the performances of nearly all of our players have been pretty damn good when things could so easily have collapsed totally.

I think he's also done well to turn this group of players into a well-knit unit considering how disastrous last summer was in terms of transfers. It's easy to point out his bad mistakes, but a lot more could have gone wrong this season. After our first 5 or so games, if the management was bad or even mediocre we could have finished mid table this season.

Think about Reagan's famous line "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" That is not the right question to ask either when determining the future of a President or manager. The question to ask is "Are you better off now compared to how you would have been under the management of the other candidate for that period of time?" I can't think of a manager who might realistically have come in who would have done better than Wenger has, and that goes for this season or pretty much any other time in Wenger's tenure.

For those of you that are attempting to brand the fans in this Soc as irrational, I say that is in the nature of being a football fan. When you devote yourself totally to an identity like a football club, your mindset obviously isn't going to be objective any more. That's why, when watching a match, if there's a dubious tackle committed by the opposition you always shout at the ref, even if you didn't see it properly. You just want your team to win. There's nothing wrong with that. There's a fine line between being irrational and being fickle, that much is true. But I think in this case I would judge most people that post in this thread as being occasionally irrational rather than fickle.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8274
Fulham 1-1 Chelsea :biggrin:
Chelsea's luck has run out :rofl:
So Spurs and Chelski drop points.. it's been a good day! Wouldn't you love to see us get 3rd and Newcastle get fourth ahead of our London rivals :colone:
A nice little draw for Chelsea. Gives us the opportunity to go 5 points clear of Newcastle and Spurs as well as 7 points clear of Chelsea.
Reply 8278
Original post by De Chirico
So Spurs and Chelski drop points.. it's been a good day! Wouldn't you love to see us get 3rd and Newcastle get fourth ahead of our London rivals :colone:

I'd love to see Newcastle 4th, they've played very well throughout the season (maybe a little dip in the middle) and I think they deserve it.

Latest