Turn on thread page Beta

Donnie Darko watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good film?

I am thinking of what to rent and this is top of my list at the moment.

No spoilers please!

Adam

ReputationRep:
    its a great film! although it is hard to follow in some places, its definatly worth watching.
    shambles x

ReputationRep:
    I've just purchased it on DVD for £5.99 from HMV...bargain! Haven't had the chance to watch it yet though, but people say its really good but VERY confuzzling...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    I've just purchased it on DVD for £5.99 from HMV...bargain! Haven't had the chance to watch it yet though, but people say its really good but VERY confuzzling...

It really is... I managed to follow most of it, very proud But it's an excellent film, great concepts!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, one of my faves. I watched it with my Dad so its hard not to follow it with mr.I know everythiing sat in the back. It so dark. I end up been very attracted to donnie in the end he's so twisted. Watch it, honestly.

ReputationRep:
    I fell asleep....

ReputationRep:
    its a fantastic film, you'll "get it" more on the second viewing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    i think the £9.99 special edition is worth getting because you get documentaries and deleted scenes explaining some of the mystery. amd it's only 4 pounds more....

ReputationRep:
    The Special Scenes are the only way to understand the film - either that or search google for an explanation.

A good film, very confusing, and the only way I understood was because my boyfriend was explaining it to me as I watched it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    Is it a good film?

I am thinking of what to rent and this is top of my list at the moment.

No spoilers please!

Adam
    Yeah, i watched it a couple of weeks ago, it's one of those films where you get to the end and you have noooo idea what it was about, but you know you enjoyed it! You kinda figure it out eventually. I guess it means different things to different people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    its a fantastic film, you'll "get it" more on the second viewing
    or the 5th or 6th...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i think the £9.99 special edition is worth getting because you get documentaries and deleted scenes explaining some of the mystery. amd it's only 4 pounds more....
    One of the online retailers is giving it away free if you spend more than £25, though the two films I want to buy total £24.98

ReputationRep:
    its quite philosophical and psychological, with a confusing ending
    donnie is very identifiable

ReputationRep:
    its a great film, surreal, but good

ReputationRep:
    I havn't seen teh film, but read about it and from what I can make out, it is a rabbit who influences the events of Bonnie. A good explaination I ahve found is here:

"Cherita is not just an incidental figure in the plot. She is essential. Remember when Donnie tells her that someday her life will be better? He's talking about the way the universe will be after Donnie fixes it. Here's what happens:

Donnie Darko was supposed to die on October 2. He didn't, because he'd been sleepwalking. Frank manipulated Donnie, so that he would be in bed, when the airplane engine fell. Donnie's death led to his family's mourning him, which prevented his sister from performing in the talent show. That kept her and Donnie's mother from being on the plane, because they didn't win the talent show. Who won? Cherita. She finally had some happiness in her life.

I think that the plane ended up crashing, but Donnie's mother and sister weren't on it, so they didn't die in the crash. By dying on October 2, Donnie never flooded the school, so he never met Gretchen, so she was never at Grandma Death's house, so she and Frank never died.

By dying, Donnie saved the lives of his mother and younger sister, Gretchen and Frank, and he made Cherita's life better.

Why did Donnnie kill Frank? So that Frank's spirit could go back in time and manipulate Donnie into going back to his bedroom to die.

Why did Gretchen die? To motivate Donnie to give up his life for Gretchen's by going back to his bedroom to die.

Why did Grandma death tell Donnie that everybody dies alone? To put the thought into his mind that by his dying -- alone -- the lives of those he loved would be spared.

At least that's my interpretation. "

ReputationRep:
    You know they said no spoilers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Donnie Darko was supposed to die on October 2. He didn't, because he'd been sleepwalking. Frank manipulated Donnie, so that he would be in bed, when the airplane engine fell.
    thats not true because it was Frank shouting at donnie to get up and you could see donnie smiling just before he died. it was donnies own choice to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    thats not true because it was Frank shouting at donnie to get up and you could see donnie smiling just before he died. it was donnies own choice to die.
    Not me who wrote that, another person's opinion. But the rest are pretty acurate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Not me who wrote that, another person's opinion. But the rest are pretty acurate?
    Ya it's pretty accurate.. the whole thing is confusing.. ive seen it twice and still don't get all of it.... especially the part with the car accident near the end.. don't wanna go into detail for those who haven't seen it.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished watching it. It is 2 am but I am not at all tired. That is such an amazing film. I am watching it again tomorrow. My mind is on overdrive working it all out though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.