The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should a 70 year old man be allowed to have sex with a 16 year old girl?

Poll

Are big age gaps bad?

...the titular scenario is, of course, an extreme... but what do you think of age gaps in relationships or sexual encounters? As it stands, once you're over 16 you're fair game, legally. Yet most people would frown upon - if not ostracise - an old man dating a teenage girl (unless he's rich and called "Hefner").

There seems to be an "acceptable" age gap of a few years which increases as people get older - a 40 year old and a 60 year old would be less frowned upon than a 40 year old and a 20 year old, generally.

How do you feel about it? Are attitudes changing or still the same? Would you date/sleep with someone much younger/older than you?

Personally, at 27 most of the girls I go for are around 20... sometimes 19. My opinion is that - as girls get older, not only does their physical attractiveness diminish but they also start to want something different - the last girl I slept with who was the same age as me said, after the first time we'd slept together "look, I'm not getting any younger, and I feel like we have a real connection." Talk about warning signals.

It's also interesting to note that if, say, a rich, good looking man of 50 goes out with a girl in her twenties he'll probably be congratulated and envied... whereas if it's the other way round, the woman would be seen as a comical, desperate cougar, e.g Demi Moore. Also, if the older guy is not attractive and not rich, he'll be reviled. But then, that's the same with any age gap: girls will always complain about unattractive guys being "creepy" if they hit on them, yet will fall into bed with an attractive guy who uses exactly the same tactics.

Anyway, big age gaps: good or bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's the girls choice in the end, we shouldn't be able to tell who you can or can't love, but Yeahh that's nasty...
Sometimes things are hypothetical, but they still have to be some what possible and I can't see any 16 making LOVE to a 70 year old, if that ever happens it would be forced or for money.
Reply 2
...should a 16 year old girl be allowed to have sex with a 70 year old man? :lolwut:
Everyone seems to be OK with Hugh Hefner doing it.
Yeah, I think it's fine. If they both consent, who are we to judge? Though I don't see what they'd have in common to be honest, which is obviously why quite a rare thing to see
Reply 5
First that pops into my mind... Courtney Strodden
If it's consensual I don't see anything wrong with it.
Reply 7
She'd probably give the poor guy a heart attack...
If they are both DTF then let the very slow fireworks commence... i'm not exactly going to go out of my way to stop them
[jealous]I frown upon it, grr.[/jealous]

:colone:
Although I'd personally feel a bit creeped out... it's not up to me to judge, she's legal, he's legal, leave them at it as long as it's consensual.
Yes. At 16 the girl can make her own decisions.
I think there is some discrimination here. What if it were a 16 year old boy having sex with a 70 year old woman?

Rather than questioning whether it is right, people would just laugh it off. If someone is old enough to make their own decisions on who they sleep with, who has the right to stop them?
Reply 13
I'd say it's fine if the girl wants to do it. It's probably less dangerous than a strong, healthy 40-50 year old man preying on 16 year olds.
Reply 14
GrandLad ?
personally i find it vile, and cant see it being a very healthy relationship. however who am i do judge? if it is consensual then nobody is getting hurt and it has nothing to do with me. (for some reason this reminds of series one misfits episode but with the genders swapped round)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Hef had a eighteen year-old twins a couple of years ago :colone:
Very sick, but if they're both consenting, and both above the age limit, then I suppose it's fine.
Well it's not illegal, but :puke:
Reply 19
If both are up for it then yes, of course, why would you take that right away from the girl just because -you- wouldn't be up for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending