The Student Room Group

foundation samples

hey ladies,
just wondering what people's experiences are with asking for foundation samples? my skin is blotchy at the mo and i need a good, long lasting, non oily foundation but want to try before i buy. ive heard that estee lauder and chanel are good about giving samples, what about other brands? ive always wanted to try MAC but the thought of entering selfridges terrifies me! it's the most hostile shop ever.

also, any good foundation recommendations? im currently using revlon colorstay and not loving it. tempted by the bourjois healthy mix, but would like to try a more high-end brand before i resort to drugstore.
Reply 1
Estee Lauder do give samples out quite happily. If you feel cheeky just going and asking for a sample without buying anything, there is a "voucher" for a free sample of Double Wear which you can download from the Facebook page.

I am using Double Wear at the moment and like it but I would say you have to be quite wary with the shades you are offered. I went to House of Fraser and the lady who matched me up was trying to persuade me to get one that was way too dark for me. She was just not having it at all when I said I generally choose foundations that actually match my complexion and she was saying I should have my skin tone + 1 shade darker to give me a "nice" (orange?) glow. In the end I did get one that was a perfect match so just perserve if what they originally suggest is horrible!

It's not really foundation but you can get a free sample of Garnier BB cream posted out to you from Boots here

I'm not sure about samples from Mac - A friend wanted a makeover there and told me they don't give free makeovers like some places do. They charge (about £25 I think?) and then offset the cost against the products you buy. So it's only really worth it if you will definitely buy.

Clinique give free makeovers at a lot of places so you should be able to try some stuff at a counter but they don't always have samples to take away.

Tbh if you actually intend to buy something then most counters should be happy to help you and let you try!
Reply 2
Original post by hmaus
Estee Lauder do give samples out quite happily. If you feel cheeky just going and asking for a sample without buying anything, there is a "voucher" for a free sample of Double Wear which you can download from the Facebook page.

I am using Double Wear at the moment and like it but I would say you have to be quite wary with the shades you are offered. I went to House of Fraser and the lady who matched me up was trying to persuade me to get one that was way too dark for me. She was just not having it at all when I said I generally choose foundations that actually match my complexion and she was saying I should have my skin tone + 1 shade darker to give me a "nice" (orange?) glow. In the end I did get one that was a perfect match so just perserve if what they originally suggest is horrible!

It's not really foundation but you can get a free sample of Garnier BB cream posted out to you from Boots here

I'm not sure about samples from Mac - A friend wanted a makeover there and told me they don't give free makeovers like some places do. They charge (about £25 I think?) and then offset the cost against the products you buy. So it's only really worth it if you will definitely buy.

Clinique give free makeovers at a lot of places so you should be able to try some stuff at a counter but they don't always have samples to take away.

Tbh if you actually intend to buy something then most counters should be happy to help you and let you try!

thank you very much! :biggrin: defo gonna try estee lauder, heard lots of good things about double wear so will pluck up the courage and ask! prob try chanel too.

i really dont like the sound of MAC customer service, prob wont try them for a sample :s-smilie: plus i think their makeup is a bit heavy duty, i dont like looking too done up.

just ordered myself a BB cream sample too, thanks for sharing the link :smile: off to town tomorrow so ill update with how i get on sample-collecting!
Reply 3
I love the clarins foundations, and they are very willing to give samples out
Reply 4
Estee Lauder always do foundation samples and Doublewear is great.

Have heard MAC foundation isn't that good
Reply 5
MAC customer service is amazing, they obviously get huge commission but still miles better than any counter I've tried. I've not asked for any samples there but I'm sure they would give them I've got mascara samples from the website before.

Chanel will give you samples but they can have snobby women working on the counters so you have to be bold and stick with your guns to just get a sample not buy the whole product
I used to ask for Estee Lauder ones and just go round town once a month (from Boots to Debs) and every time I went to Glasgow or Edinb doing the same and the girls didn't seem to mind

But now I don't like the yellow pigment in Double Wear (the foundation I used to sample) so I've just bit the bullet and bought a Benefit Playsitck (which I find is more for me and brings out the pink in my skintone). It may be £25 a stick but it lasts aaaaaages and it does the job.

ALSO: What I used to do was use the sample and mix it in with a wee bit of nivea to make it last longer and get a tinted moisturiser type effect to it but still get the matte finish of a foundation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ChannieAlana
I used to ask for Estee Lauder ones and just go round town once a month (from Boots to Debs) and every time I went to Glasgow or Edinb doing the same and the girls didn't seem to mind

But now I don't like the yellow pigment in Double Wear (the foundation I used to sample) so I've just bit the bullet and bought a Benefit Playsitck (which I find is more for me and brings out the pink in my skintone). It may be £25 a stick but it lasts aaaaaages and it does the job.

ALSO: What I used to do was use the sample and mix it in with a wee bit of nivea to make it last longer and get a tinted moisturiser type effect to it but still get the matte finish of a foundation.

thanks everyone for the replies :smile: i hate yellow-based foundations too! but i have news from the lovely chanel lady at debenhams, chanel are bringing out a new range of shades for their lumiere (sp?) foundation, because at the mo its all yellow-based. the new ones will be more pink based. they will be giving out samples from 2nd Jan and it will be available to buy from the 8/9th.

estee lauder at debenhams were rude and unhelpful! im gonna try debenhams instead, they seem nicer in there. i guess it depends on each individual store really!

cant believe you went back every month though! that's ballsy. im jealous! i do like benefit products though, will check out the playstick when im next in! the hello flawless face powder is one of my fave products (even though the packaging is a bit flimsy and cheap, the product makes it worth it!).
Does anyone know of too faced doing samples?
Reply 9
I know that smashbox (in boots) do samples with their foundations as well as primers and mascaras!!
I’ve had Estée Lauder and Clinique foundation samples before, just walk in and ask for one and hopefully they’ll be able to pick the right shade for you. P.s I’ve got dry skin and found Double wear’s formula to work really well on my skin

Quick Reply

Latest