The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick 2012 POSTGRADUATE Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Wow, I was one of the two persons that received the scholarship!!!!!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Spairos
Wow, I was one of the two persons that received the scholarship!!!!!

Congrats! What are you studying again?

I was one of the many who missed out unfortunately :frown: Just trying to figure out if I'll hunt around elsewhere, or try and get a couple of publications done and try again next year.

You must be quite estatic :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Theridamas
Congrats! What are you studying again?

I was one of the many who missed out unfortunately :frown: Just trying to figure out if I'll hunt around elsewhere, or try and get a couple of publications done and try again next year.

You must be quite estatic :smile:

Indeed I am, thank you very much for congratulating!!
I have applied for MSc in Statistics.
However I have to decide between Essex, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Lancaster, UCL, LSE, Warwick, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge
Reply 43
Interesting that there are so few participants in this thread so far. Well, it's still early...

Anyway, let me use this rare moment of activity on TSR to state that I'll probably be doing a(n offered) PhD at PaIS in international relations in the next years.

Original post by Gr.
The only thing I'm anxious about right now is the accommodation. They don't usually allow visiting the campus outside of open days, which I won't be able to come for (I live outside of UK) so I'm in a bit of a bind atm.

Really? Well, I'm not sure about other than the PaIS department but uni staff in general seems to be much more relaxed than e.g. at London universities. If you want to have a look - which would be a good idea - just email the kind of people you'd like to talk to and make an appointment so they'll be there. If they don't want you to - well, then you should ask yourself whether that's a department/university you want to attend for a year.

Original post by rollarcoaster
I was just wondering. I got a conditional for Msc accounting and finance at wbs. But do u think it is possible to change to another program (msc finance)? do you think they will let me?
thanks

As far as I'm aware about WBS, to be frank: no way*.

(*Disclaimer: this statement is only true as long as you are not willing to make a significant financial contribution, have influential family members or can successfully blackmail the programme coordinator)
(edited 12 years ago)
i checked with them. apparently i need micro and marco economics for msc finance which makes no sense. so therefore i am not eligible.. accounting and finance it is..
Reply 45
i checked with them. apparently i need micro and marco economics for msc finance which makes no sense. so therefore i am not eligible.. accounting and finance it is..

do they really ask for micro and macro in order to accept people in msc finance?! wow
Hi there one and all! I've been accepted into a postgraduate Economics course for the upcoming year, so I decided to drop in and say hi :smile:
Original post by Spairos
do they really ask for micro and macro in order to accept people in msc finance?! wow

ya thats quite harsh. technically only economics students can study it..

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/masters/finance/requirements.cfm

'Your degree should be in a relevant subject such as finance, economics, business administration, engineering or other science. The course selectors will look for evidence that you have studied mathematics and statistics, micro- and macroeconomics and ideally some econometrics. You will need to have studied all of these to an intermediate level to enable you to cope with the course.''

so technically year 2 equivalent studies of micro and macro economics...

*quick question. did anyone make a FB group for the WBS PG 2012-2013 intake?
Reply 48
Original post by Economics_ Student
Hi there one and all! I've been accepted into a postgraduate Economics course for the upcoming year, so I decided to drop in and say hi :smile:

Congratulations and hi everyone :smile:

Apparently they have sent quite a number of email today :smile: I got the informal offer for financial mathematics today :smile:
Reply 49
I just accepted my offer :smile: Does anyone want to buddy up and find somewhere to live? I can't afford to pay £100 a week on campus! PM me if you're interested.
Reply 50
Original post by Helen-C
I just accepted my offer :smile: Does anyone want to buddy up and find somewhere to live? I can't afford to pay £100 a week on campus! PM me if you're interested.

Congratulations for your offer!
What course are you in?
Reply 51
Just a word of warning for people wondering when to accept your offers- there is a deadline for applying for accommodation. And they run a ballot system- if you lose the ballot, they sort through applications based on the date they applied. Just a warning for those of you that want campus run rather than private housing :smile:
i think living off campus would be real far since warwick is on a hill right?
Reply 53
i think living off campus would be real far since warwick is on a hill right?

It's not on a hill. The castle is - not the university (which is located in the outskirts of Coventry, despite its name).

Basically, there are off-campus options available in Coventry, Earlsdon, Leamington and maybe a few other areas. Coventry is generally not so well liked by students (the city is certainly not a tourist attraction), Leamington is a mix between a decent bigger town and and a student town. The problem with off-campus accommodation is, that in most cases (although not all, e.g. if you get a place in Canley which is the Coventry area right next to the campus) you will have to take the bus/car or at least a bike to get to the campus. The buses are not really following their schedule, are often packed and it's an annoyance for many. On the other hand, if you live on-campus, you'd hardly be leaving it for a year as it's a bit of a drag (except for going to Birmingham/London occasionally).

You can find plenty of more information in this forum.
Reply 54
Original post by Betski
Just a word of warning for people wondering when to accept your offers- there is a deadline for applying for accommodation. And they run a ballot system- if you lose the ballot, they sort through applications based on the date they applied. Just a warning for those of you that want campus run rather than private housing :smile:

Is the application system for 12/13 open yet? Oh my, I guess I should accept my offer soon then.
Reply 55
Original post by Betski

What is this ballot system about?
Congratulations every one :smile:
I just received an offer from MSc Finance. However I applied to MSc Accounting and Finance as well.. just a few days after applying for Finance and I am waiting for an offer for the course.

In case i do receive an offer from MSc Accounting and Finance... I was wondering if you guys know which course is perhaps better among the two aka MSc Finance vs. MSc Accounting & Finance??
I did BBA (majored in Finance)... with a CGPA of 3.98/4

If you guys have any opinion regarding the two programs please do share.

Reply 57
Original post by cheese_cake
Congratulations every one :smile:
I just received an offer from MSc Finance. However I applied to MSc Accounting and Finance as well.. just a few days after applying for Finance and I am waiting for an offer for the course.

In case i do receive an offer from MSc Accounting and Finance... I was wondering if you guys know which course is perhaps better among the two aka MSc Finance vs. MSc Accounting & Finance??
I did BBA (majored in Finance)... with a CGPA of 3.98/4

If you guys have any opinion regarding the two programs please do share.

Well, this depends on what kind of career you're going for.

Finance (F) seems to be more geared towards traditional banking roles like IB,but also corporate finance etc. Accounting & Finance (AF) should be a little less finance-sector focused but might open some doors at companies who would not be too interested in F grads.

Obviously, this is only a very general observation. Think about what course you studied before and how this could best be complemented for the job you want to go for afterwards. It's the same school, both courses share modules and hence it will not make a huge difference (there are more F than AF students btw). Still, some people consider the degree title being very important (just think about the endless BA vs BSc discussions).
Original post by marcelbandur
Hey there!
I got a conditional to study MA in International Politics.
Does anyone know by what date you need to state whether you accept the conditional offer or not? Is this binding? If you accept the offer and meet the conditions, can you still decide not to go? They don't require any deposit or anything...

I'm looking at applying for the same course this autumn - and I noticed you studied at Durham. I'm currently doing my undergrad in Politics there - can I be cheeky and ask which course you studied and the grades you applied to Warwick with?

Thank you!
Original post by grt
Well, this depends on what kind of career you're going for.

Finance (F) seems to be more geared towards traditional banking roles like IB,but also corporate finance etc. Accounting & Finance (AF) should be a little less finance-sector focused but might open some doors at companies who would not be too interested in F grads.

Obviously, this is only a very general observation. Think about what course you studied before and how this could best be complemented for the job you want to go for afterwards. It's the same school, both courses share modules and hence it will not make a huge difference (there are more F than AF students btw). Still, some people consider the degree title being very important (just think about the endless BA vs BSc discussions).

Are chances for working in IB with AF much harder than just F then? do you think employers would care alot?

Quick Reply

Latest