The Student Room Group

Top reasons for failing your driving test

Scroll to see replies

I just failed my test.

1 was for getting 'too close' to a parked vehicle (just 1 out of many). I was driving slow, I had cars driving past me the other direction and a car behind me (so I would cause incidents by stopping, I was all ready going slow).

the other one was going into a bend too fast (I braked) and went near to the line (no cars coming and didn't effect any one, under my control all the time). I would class it as driving fault as no one was put in danger and was corrected quickly, I knew I went too fast as I got there and braked when I noticed.

Apart from that I got 2 minors. 1 I revved the car while changing gear as left the throttle on (whoops) and the other I was close to 'parked vehicles'. I was always told if there's space, drive slowly and carefully when cars coming the other way.

Speaking to someone, DVLA tell the examiners how many they have to pass and fail.

On this day I had been on antibiotics for 2-3 days for a water infection and had lack of sleep because of it.

Technically this was my 2nd attempt of a test as last time I went there and got turned back because the examiners wife was ill.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Clare P T17
Speaking to someone, DVLA tell the examiners how many they have to pass and fail.

It's nothing but BS. People fail their test and claim it's fixed to make themselves feel better about failing, but they conveniently forget that it's supposedly fixed when they pass their test. Just a bunch of people that can't accept they can't drive to the standard.
Quite a few people have told me they fix it. Clearly cab be if they write things which isn't serious or dangerous.

The problem is there's no middle ground.

When you take risks you can get minors for it or more if you just go slightly too bad.

But then if you don't take these risks you get a mark for undue hesitation.

Somethings are only done once (like being too close too 1 car. And going into the corner and they say I went over the line but I would of know If I had) but is marked as serious. 1 time if you have done the rest perfectly, should mean a driving fault because it was 1 mistake.

The amount of people these days who cut corners and probably are too close too parked cars while driving is unbelievable and if we fail our test for doing it once, those who do it on the road on there own should get disqualification from driving and have to re take test even if it's only 1 corner because that's serious or dangerous.

I see a driving fault as something minor you done. Also if something that could be serious but no actions were taken by other drivers or the examinor and it was done only once without any harm as you drived wrong only once out of the rest. This should mean drivers made no to little adjustments and the examinor making no verball or physical answer over the incident.

Serius and dangerous faults should be marked if another road user seriously had to do something or the examinor had to verbally or physically do something about it. Either that or if you did it more than once dangerously.

Tests should pass or fail on how you drove overall. Yes they did a serious act but it was once and no actions on ohers or me took place, making it a driving fault.

I know someone who failed first time for something petty just to prove how bad some examinors were.

There was a cyclist ahead of him and the examinor asked the car to over take and turn at a juntion ahead. The car drivet felt it was safe as they were all close to the junction to stay behind the cyclist so he dosnt cause an accident. They failed him for this.

He appealed and got a retest and got a top examinor. He passed this time and once he showed the examinor where it was and explained it, the examinor agreed with the learners decision and actually told the old examinor that the driver was right.

He now is a lorry driver.

His example shows how it can be fixed because he did right for the cyclists sake.
(edited 8 years ago)
"He now is a lorry driver"

That says nothing but negative things to me... The vast majority of lorry drivers I come across are some of the worse drivers on the road.

His story doesn't say it's fixed in the slightest, it just shows it's flawed because things aren't set in stone. Hell, he may well have avoided getting marked down if he just said what he was doing.
He did tell the examinor. This was on his standard car test not lorry test.

He is a good driver (he moved our car and car trailer woth my race car on on our tight streets) even with a knackered shoulder (dont ask, its complicated).

I can agree with the no set books on things, meaning its more difficult.
I failed 4 times, First was nervous, second was nervous and third was the same but this fourth one i drove pretty well and failed because of Traffic lights...

Damm why do i always do it wrong
First time I failed bc I ended up with my back wheels on the kerb while reversing around a corner, very embarrassing, 🙊never done that before but I was nervous. Second time I failed I was stalled like 3 times in a row while trying to change lane so failed for hesitation and control. Just failed today because I was coming off at the round about when a car from the inner lane swerved out in front on me with no indicators on and the instructor got to the break before I did, absolutely fuming that I wouldn't passed otherwise if it wasn't for that idiotic driver.
I failed today for speeding(40 in a 30 without realising) and stopping at an amber light when i could've went through. (Failed for not checking interoir mirror)

I was so sad..

and one question. if you drive to close to a parked car for like 10 seconds is that an instant fail?
Original post by Junaid12
and one question. if you drive to close to a parked car for like 10 seconds is that an instant fail?

If you're very close to the car and you had plenty of space on the right, yes.
I failed thrice. 1st because of undue hesitation on a mini round about. I let go off traffic from my left but just once. But i only got 2 minors. Overall driving was perfect. I could have got the liscence. 2nd because the car was turning left on the road i was about to take the right. There was a car behind that car too which has to go straight. He failed me cz he said u must have waited for the other car to go straight which i thought is slow enough because of the car in front of him turning left, i can get a chance but alas instructor put a brake. 3rd was the most stupid fail. On a mini round about a man put a wrong indicator. He went straight giving a left indictor on. I was about to turn left thinking its all safe he is turning in to the road when instructor applied brake. So sometimes u r fail because u r concious or hesitant ..some times u need to be more observant. Look again and again .. and sometimes looking again and again will cause u a fail too .. it's luck .. just pray u won't get stuck in to stupid situations and u'll pass th first time
Original post by Mahamxx
I failed thrice. 1st because of undue hesitation on a mini round about. I let go off traffic from my left but just once. But i only got 2 minors. Overall driving was perfect. I could have got the liscence. 2nd because the car was turning left on the road i was about to take the right. There was a car behind that car too which has to go straight. He failed me cz he said u must have waited for the other car to go straight which i thought is slow enough because of the car in front of him turning left, i can get a chance but alas instructor put a brake. 3rd was the most stupid fail. On a mini round about a man put a wrong indicator. He went straight giving a left indictor on. I was about to turn left thinking its all safe he is turning in to the road when instructor applied brake. So sometimes u r fail because u r concious or hesitant ..some times u need to be more observant. Look again and again .. and sometimes looking again and again will cause u a fail too .. it's luck .. just pray u won't get stuck in to stupid situations and u'll pass th first time

You failed your tests all for similar reasons; you have to go with what you know not what you think. All other drivers except you are stupid and you need to exercise some caution. Once I started thinking like that my lessons went a lot better. Even if he indicates left wait until he actually turns left before you move out. Never assume anything when it comes to other drivers, they have a license - you don't. They'll get away with being stupid; you won't.

Good luck buddy.

------
Anyway, I passed 2nd time; so we'll revisit my trainwreck of a first test.

Riding down a main road, person in front of me indicates left just before a junction; then pulls up on the left and turns his indicator off. I proceed to overtake and the examiner slams on the dual controls. "There's a car pulling out of there". In hindsight, I have right of way, but the examiner is always right and obviously; she wouldn't have done it if there wasn't a risk so I took it on the chin - because I'd have failed in other areas anyway.

Got another for when she meekly said "the... white... van!" as I was doing the full 30 onto an oncoming red light and she was powerless to stop it. Because I didn't coast like an idiot managed to stop the car just mere inches behind the van else it would have ended in tears. Second major. Got a few minors along the way after this, I went to 4th instead of 2nd on a roundabout but fixed it pretty quick so got away with a minor. Third major for driving too close to parked cars on the approach back to the test center (if I hadn't failed before this, I'd have been upset about this one lol). I never drove from that centre or route again; it was just idk... aids. This was Southall test centre, I then went on to pass in Ashford.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
You failed your tests all for similar reasons; you have to go with what you know not what you think. All other drivers except you are stupid and you need to exercise some caution. Once I started thinking like that my lessons went a lot better. Even if he indicates left wait until he actually turns left before you move out. Never assume anything when it comes to other drivers, they have a license - you don't. They'll get away with being stupid; you won't.

Good luck buddy.

------
Anyway, I passed 2nd time; so we'll revisit my trainwreck of a first test.

Riding down a main road, person in front of me indicates left just before a junction; then pulls up on the left and turns his indicator off. I proceed to overtake and the examiner slams on the dual controls. "There's a car pulling out of there". In hindsight, I have right of way, but the examiner is always right and obviously; she wouldn't have done it if there wasn't a risk so I took it on the chin - because I'd have failed in other areas anyway.

Got another for when she meekly said "the... white... van!" as I was doing the full 30 onto an oncoming red light and she was powerless to stop it. Because I didn't coast like an idiot managed to stop the car just mere inches behind the van else it would have ended in tears. Second major. Got a few minors along the way after this, I went to 4th instead of 2nd on a roundabout but fixed it pretty quick so got away with a minor. Third major for driving too close to parked cars on the approach back to the test center (if I hadn't failed before this, I'd have been upset about this one lol). I never drove from that centre or route again; it was just idk... aids. This was Southall test centre, I then went on to pass in Ashford.

Not the best examiner if she let you get that close to having an accident
Anyway, I passed 3rd time

First time, Was going really well until I completely missed a no entry sign. I knew I had failed and my driving just went completely out the window. I kerbed a wheel on a straight road because I was so caught up in failing. Failed with 5 minors and 1 serious
Second time, I almost sideswiped a truck, although Im also blaming the car in front as well. Was going really well until I got to a cross roads with traffic lights. Ours went green and the car in front turning right decides to instead of moving off to the right so people can pass easily sits just in the middle of the lane. I begin slowing down before I realise there is enough space to pull around safely on the left but as I go to move round someone in a rigid truck decides to go around both of us. I wasn't indicating but apparently he thought I was turning right also. Failed with 4 minors and 1 dangerous
Passed 3rd time, was really uneventful tbh, Got 3 minors

I know people get hung up about passing first time but after failing and passing. I think its much better to fail at least one test. Its better to fail and make mistakes with a competent driver beside you with dual controls than pass first time and cause an accident
Failed my first one because I stopped behind a bus as I couldn't see the road ahead clearly and because I didn't see the 20 plenty sign on so was doing 30.
How funny!
failed first one cos I messed up with the gears merging onto a dual carriageway and slipped into 3rd instead of 5th... then proceeded to have a fight with the gearstick (something i'd NEVER done before) and literally came to a stop (almost) and caused about 3 cars to overtake me. pretty awkward, lol. passed second time with 2 minors.

If you're nervous/panic, you'll fail.
(edited 5 years ago)
I failed my first test for stopping behind a bus because I couldn't see the road ahead clearly since there was a bit of a dip in the road. I failed for being safe whilst a friend of mine went round a roundabout in 4th gear and passed first time.
First - clutch control/nerves, definitely wasn't ready
Second - apparently I drove like a maniac , 7 serious and one minor. Examinator wouldn't let me correct reverse round the corner and then shouted at me for not pushing through a very tight space between parked cars and oncoming van. To be fair, I drove like crap for the rest of it
Third - 4 minors moving off making it serious, didn't stall or anything and actually probably the best drive out of the lot so don't know.
Fourth - tried to stop car from stalling on a round about and ended up shooting forward
Passed 5th time with 5 minors , would be 4 but examinator wasn't from the area, told me to turn left, then last minute changed it to right and gave me a minor for road position 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Hummmm an interesting one. Yes you weren't indicating but you where on the roundabout and they should have given way to you. Don't admit to anything. Go through your insurance company and let them sort it out.
Me was the same! After the test, my instructor asked me do you know you failed your test just minutes after you started? I said no, if I known I wouldn't do it, won't I??
I did the exact same! Only had 1 minor in the other 40 minutes so gutted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending