MedicalMayhem
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I've got a few questions concerning CVD, and I'd be grateful if some people can help

So how/why does alcohol increase blood pressure?

The textbook mentions the use of aspirin, and how it reduces the stickiness of the platelets. It says that some are allergic to aspirin, so use clopidogrel, so I assume they do the same thing? And is it for both, that they can cause stomach bleeding?

And it is said to be good to eat more oily fish, but how does it help?

Also, it doesn't specify on the syllabus, but are we expected to know about non-starch polysaccharides, acting as a gel which traps cholesterol and prevents its absorption?

Thanks for your help
leogirl1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
alcohol is absorbed as sugar in the body,
so in order to metabolize the sugar, insulin is needed.

Rise of insulin will cause the blood pressure to increase.

yup, if I am not mistaken (I am doing Unit 5 biology edexcel) . clopidogrel and aspirin do the same thing but clopidogrel will have greater effect (as in the bleeding of the stomach will be more severe).

Oily fishes are rich in the good fats. Good fats will transport the bad fats aka cholesterol to the liver to be metabolized.

Hope this helps
MedicalMayhem
Rep:
(Original post by leogirl1992)
alcohol is absorbed as sugar in the body,
so in order to metabolize the sugar, insulin is needed.

Rise of insulin will cause the blood pressure to increase.

yup, if I am not mistaken (I am doing Unit 5 biology edexcel) . clopidogrel and aspirin do the same thing but clopidogrel will have greater effect (as in the bleeding of the stomach will be more severe).

Oily fishes are rich in the good fats. Good fats will transport the bad fats aka cholesterol to the liver to be metabolized.

Hope this helps
Erm are you sure about the insulin bit? We were taught about the production of ethanal..
leogirl1992
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MedicalMayhem)
Erm are you sure about the insulin bit? We were taught about the production of ethanal..
Umm, care to clarify a bit on that? my memory is bad nowadays :/ sorry, not really sure.

Are you trying to say that the production of ethanal is the result of oxidising the alcohol?

Quote me please so that that I know that you replied. Thanks
MedicalMayhem
Rep:
(Original post by leogirl1992)
Umm, care to clarify a bit on that? my memory is bad nowadays :/ sorry, not really sure.

Are you trying to say that the production of ethanal is the result of oxidising the alcohol?

Quote me please so that that I know that you replied. Thanks
Erm well I've heard a few different reasons, I'll just list them.

• The liver cannot metabolise (process chemically) angiotensin, and so blood pressure cannot be controlled.
• Excess alcohol consumption means that glucose and lipids cannot be removed from the blood.
• Also, more ethanol would be produced, and though most is used in respiration, some may end up as VLDL’s which increase the likelihood of a plaque deposition.

But I'm not sure if they are all true. :/ Did you do the Edexcel course too?
Magiclovr_Nishlim
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Alcohol is metabolized to form LDL's, and this increases the risk of plaque formation in artery walls, which in turn increases blood pressure....Also it damages liver cells which makes the liver unable to carry out detoxification as well as process carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

yes....about aspirin and clopidogrel

Oily fish helps remove LDL from blood.

Well, i guess it isn't essential to know about the non starch polysaccharides, but then again i found it in 2 sets of notes given by 2 teachers as well as in some textbooks so i guess it is needed but idk.....
PowerPuff
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
  • Oily fish contains unsaturated fats which contribute to the production of HDL which help with the removal of excess cholesterol by transporting cholesterol from the blood to the liver to be broken down.

• Excess Alcohol consumption can damage the liver which breaks down lipids and glucose, excess lipids in the blood can build up in the inner lining of the arteries, narrowing them and therefore increasing/raising blood pressure.

In terms of glucose, I myself need to recap the reason behind that.

Hope this has helped
liliway
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
lili_way add me on snapchat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.37%
Okay (64)
29.77%
A bit lacking (81)
37.67%
Not good at all (52)
24.19%

Watched Threads