What's the diffrence between 4FT Hon BSc and 3FT Ord BSc

Watch this thread
05dochertyf
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I get the 4 is four years, and the 3 is three years, but what is the diffrence between Hon and Ord? My understanding of it was Hons is if you don't fail any units, and Ord is if you do, But im looking at The university of Glasgow:

Anatomy 4FT Hon BSc and
Human Biology 3FT Ord BSc

So does that would mean you can't get as good of degree in Human bilogy?

any help would be appritated, thankss
Shmockpock
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Hey did you manage to find out about the difference? I'm checking out Unis and I'm confused about the same.
Imnotcreative5
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Shmockpock)
Hey did you manage to find out about the difference? I'm checking out Unis and I'm confused about the same.
I'm in the same situation right now

"3FT/4FT Hon/IMD" is what I'm looking at (For computer science). From what I can tell. "FT" just means full-time so you'd be studying full time. The numbers "3" and "4" refer to however many years you do the course.

So basically, I can do a 3 year full-time course for a Bachelor's degree or I can opt to do another year for a Master's degree.
I presume that the "Hon" just means that you have to complete your bachelor's with honours (which from UCL's site I think is just how many marks you get in your end of year assements with 40% being the cut-off point) in order to be offered the 4th year Master's degree.

Again, I'm in the same boat as you so I have literally no idea if any of this is true. But if your course says it is "IMD" I believe you are applying to do a Bachelor's then after the 3rd year, you are given the option to study for another year in order to do a Master's
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Imnotcreative5)
I'm in the same situation right now

"3FT/4FT Hon/IMD" is what I'm looking at (For computer science). From what I can tell. "FT" just means full-time so you'd be studying full time. The numbers "3" and "4" refer to however many years you do the course.

So basically, I can do a 3 year full-time course for a Bachelor's degree or I can opt to do another year for a Master's degree.
I presume that the "Hon" just means that you have to complete your bachelor's with honours (which from UCL's site I think is just how many marks you get in your end of year assements with 40% being the cut-off point) in order to be offered the 4th year Master's degree.

Again, I'm in the same boat as you so I have literally no idea if any of this is true. But if your course says it is "IMD" I believe you are applying to do a Bachelor's then after the 3rd year, you are given the option to study for another year in order to do a Master's
IMD stands for integrated masters degree (MSci)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Shmockpock)
Can you give some examples of the degrees you’re confused by?

OP is talking about Scottish degrees which have a different pattern of study to degrees in the rest of the UK
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.72%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.28%
No (116)
40%

Watched Threads