The Student Room Group

what are the top 5 hardest courses at university to get onto?

which degrees have the highest applications per place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maths,law, and 3 others
Reply 2
Probs medicine too
Original post by cj_134
maths,law, and 3 others

Really? Maths is in the top 5 of applicants per place? O_O
Original post by lucas13

which degrees have the highest applications per place?

Medicine and dentistry for sure! not sure about other 3
Purely guessing but I would imagine medicine, dentistry, veterinary science... then probably law... then I have no idea what would come next. Maybe maths.
Reply 6
All the Engineering courses
Reply 7
Medicine and denistry is certaintly up there, followed by, english, law and then mayby economics - subjective to my opinion.
Reply 8
I'm not sure... but:

Maths, Medicine, Dentistry, Law and English?

A lot of people miss Dentistry out, but from experience (brother is doing it), it's incredibly competitive due to a limited number of universities doing it and a huge number of applications.
I thought the less popular the course the lower number of people they accept?
Medicine
Dentistry
Vet Med
Law
Engineering/Economics
Medicine, Dentistry, Vet Med

The other two are likely to be two from: Law, Economics, English Lit, International Relations, PPE... /unsure

Original post by rainbow_kisses
Really? Maths is in the top 5 of applicants per place? O_O

Well OP posed two questions:

"what are the top 5 hardest courses at university to get onto?"
"which degrees have the highest applications per place?"

The answer to the second question almost certainly does not include Maths. However for the first question let's remember that even though Maths may not have as many applications, the quality of applicants is insanely high hence why top unis ask for things like STEP/AEA in addition to stellar A-level grades; making it very difficult to get accepted into top Maths courses.

Original post by Still_Learning
Medicine
Dentistry
Vet Med
Law
Engineering/Economics

A good list apart from that item. Engineering is notoriously undersubscribed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by gepdent2013
Medicine and Dentistry in top 5 for sure! :yes:

YUP
Reply 13
Definitely medicine and dentistry
Reply 14
everyone will just name the courses they're applying for :rolleyes:
Most English degrees have about a 5:1 ratio of applications, so surely that's up there?

When I asked at Leicester I was told that the straight English course had over a thousand applications for just under 200 places.
1. vet medicine
2. dentistry
3. medicine
4. law
5. PPE
Original post by innerhollow

A good list apart from that item. Engineering is notoriously undersubscribed.

Really? I was under the impression that it was quite competitive....although that may be due to the fact that my opinion is heavily biased by the large proportion of my friends that are doing engineering, who constantly tell me how popular it is :s-smilie:
Original post by Still_Learning
Really? I was under the impression that it was quite competitive....although that may be due to the fact that my opinion is heavily biased by the large proportion of my friends that are doing engineering, who constantly tell me how popular it is :s-smilie:

Ah fair enough, sounds like your friends may be bigging up the subject :p: Engineering doesn't compare in terms of popularity with the courses being named in this thread. If you look at the Russell Group unis they have pretty much all AAA< requirements for courses such as Medicine, Law and English; whereas the Engineering courses offered at these same unis can have a big range of requirements, usually around the BBB-AAA area.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending