The Student Room Group

Girl who've used the contraceptive implant

Hi!

I will be having sex for the first time soon! ( cant wait :biggrin:)

However I am worried about contraception. I'm thinking of using the implant, and I just want to hear experiences from girls who have already used this. Ive read some on the NHS website and the the vast majority of the comments were negative but I dont know whether to put this down to the fact it was on the NHS and most people on there probably were trying to find a cure to their bad symptoms. Im mostly worried about gaining weight and mood swings ( and of course not falling pregnant :P).

Advice?

Thanks xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I sound 14 in the post, I'm actually 20 :h:
I got the implant about 6 months ago and have had no problems with it. Stopped my periods quickly and I'm not pregnant so its win win so far!
I've known some people who had some problems with their periods but their GPs just put them on the pill too for a while and that sorted them out :smile: I'd say go for it. Best contraception decision I ever made.
Original post by fivebyfivewhat
I got the implant about 6 months ago and have had no problems with it. Stopped my periods quickly and I'm not pregnant so its win win so far!
I've known some people who had some problems with their periods but their GPs just put them on the pill too for a while and that sorted them out :smile: I'd say go for it. Best contraception decision I ever made.

did you experience weight gain or mood swings or any other bad side effects??
Reply 4
For some girls, periods stop altogether (the lucky ones :biggrin: ) but for others they actually bleed more often, so it's a side effect to watch out for. Although saying that, you can be given a pill to try and stop or reduce the bleeding and try and regulate it again. :smile:
Reply 5
I'm on my 2nd one; I think it's great. Hardly any periods and definitely no babies. Not everyone is as lucky though; some people do get bad side effects and they're more likely to go and talk about it on the net.
I'm 21, have had mine for 9 months now. I had spotting (extremely light) for the first month and then I seem to have very light and short (2 days!!) periods at least 6 weeks apart, except for one which was accompanied by the worst cramps ever. I've gained a little weight (but thats because I'm lazy and uni is bad for my waistline). and I haven't noticed moodswings.
I was nervous about getting it too, because it seems everyone posting on the nhs site has had a horror story, and because you have to be fully warned of the side effects, I think it puts some people off.

Summary: no baby, no moodswings, no weight gain and none of the paranoia of "did I take my pill?" or "did the condom split?"
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 21, have had mine for 9 months now. I had spotting (extremely light) for the first month and then I seem to have very light and short (2 days!!) periods at least 6 weeks apart, except for one which was accompanied by the worst cramps ever. I've gained a little weight (but thats because I'm lazy and uni is bad for my waistline). and I haven't noticed moodswings.
I was nervous about getting it too, because it seems everyone posting on the nhs site has had a horror story, and because you have to be fully warned of the side effects, I think it puts some people off.

Summary: no baby, no moodswings, no weight gain and none of the paranoia of "did I take my pill?" or "did the condom split?"

awww, thanks that makes me feel heaps better!

I guess I'll never know how Im going to react to it until I try it out xx
Reply 8
awww, thanks that makes me feel heaps better!

I guess I'll never know how Im going to react to it until I try it out xx

I was told by my doctor that weight gain isn't actually a side affect of the implant, people just think that it is.

I'm about to get one fitted soon too :smile: let's hope I'm lucky with it and get no periods!
Original post by A100whoo
did you experience weight gain or mood swings or any other bad side effects??

No weight gain whatsoever, and the mood swings were no different from the ones I would usually get with my period and stopped as soon as my period did, so I can't really attribute them to the implant.
Reply 10
Got mine fitted yesterday!! Was surprised at how little pain there was! Thought the procedure would be more painful. So far, so good. Just waiting for the little bruise on my arm to go now :smile:
Original post by emilym94
Got mine fitted yesterday!! Was surprised at how little pain there was! Thought the procedure would be more painful. So far, so good. Just waiting for the little bruise on my arm to go now :smile:

good luck! :smile:
i got one fitted yesterday and it HURT!! the needle they put in first is huge! once the anaesthetic is in though it's completely pain free, just hope im lucky and have no periods!!
Reply 13
Original post by Dollaleigh
i got one fitted yesterday and it HURT!! the needle they put in first is huge! once the anaesthetic is in though it's completely pain free, just hope im lucky and have no periods!!

Wow really? :erm: Mine didn't hurt at all!! Hope i'm lucky too with the periods lol :biggrin: We'll see...
Original post by emilym94
Wow really? :erm: Mine didn't hurt at all!! Hope i'm lucky too with the periods lol :biggrin: We'll see...

yea hurt like hell, having a 4cm needle stuck in ur arm with no numbing cream or anything is not pleasant!!
Hi!

However I am worried about contraception. I'm thinking of using the implant, and I just want to hear experiences from girls who have already used this. Ive read some on the NHS website and the the vast majority of the comments were negative but I dont know whether to put this down to the fact it was on the NHS and most people on there probably were trying to find a cure to their bad symptoms. Im mostly worried about gaining weight and mood swings ( and of course not falling pregnant :P).

Advice?

Thanks xx

I used it for a bit, my first period whilst on it lasted about two weeks and I was so hormonal- crying for no reason! I went back and they told me to ake evening primrose oil with vitamin E, which helped (not sure to what degree this was a psychological effect tho it's possible but it still worked), after that I could get very light and short periods. I stayed on it for three years but am now on the pill which helps my skin, and I know when I am going to have my next period which is helpful.
Reply 16
My personal experience of the implant (implanon) a few years back was horrible. I was initially put on it because my mum was worried about the fact that I was having no periods/very few (I was later to be diagnosed with PCOS), so I had this fitted - I bled VERY heavily for about 3 months solid, constantly. Then the GP try and put me on the pill to stop that, but it turned out to be the wrong pill to do so (probably not strong enough, perhaps), so in total I had constant vvery bad bleeding, feeling miserable because of that, it also messed with my moods a lot, constantly very tired, gave me occasional very bad headaches etc (to be fair, I think you'd feel tired if you was bleeding as much as I was), so I got it removed. I'm on the Loestrin 30 pill now as microgynon was no good to me. I am probably just really sensitive to the hormones or something, though.
The UK no longer uses the Implanon implant and only the nexplanon implant - reviews for the latter are far better!
Reply 18
Original post by rubixcyoob
The UK no longer uses the Implanon implant and only the nexplanon implant - reviews for the latter are far better!

Since when? I have the implanon =/
Reply 19
Hi!

Advice?

Thanks xx

How can I put this..
I love the implant for what it is.. that is not having to worry about remembering the pill, really reliable etc.

I have had it less than a year and I am getting it taken out this week. It is sad because I love it in theory but out of about 8 months I have bled almost 6 months :frown: it is just constant. AND I have gained a stone and a half. Cannot lose any of it at all, I just retain water like a camel.

You won't know if its for you unless you try it, we can't tell you if you will have side effects. I say it's worth a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending