Girl who've used the contraceptive implant Watch

Nicolou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have been on Implanon and then Nexplanon for a number of years now (at least 9 and I will be getting another next month) with no side effects whatsoever apart from the best one - no periods! I absolutely love it. I have lost 3 and half stone with Slimming World during that time and also put some back on when my resolve went, so I know my weight has nothing to do with the implant. (Unlike when I ballooned on the pill). I also have another friend who uses it with no issues atall. I think it just depends on your physiology as to whether it will work the same way for you. I hope it does. One tip: get it done in the winter months so you can wear long sleeves to hide the bruising as it looks a bit gruesome for a little while !
Moonagedreamday
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi!

I will be having sex for the first time soon! ( cant wait )

However I am worried about contraception. I'm thinking of using the implant, and I just want to hear experiences from girls who have already used this. Ive read some on the NHS website and the the vast majority of the comments were negative but I dont know whether to put this down to the fact it was on the NHS and most people on there probably were trying to find a cure to their bad symptoms. Im mostly worried about gaining weight and mood swings ( and of course not falling pregnant :P).

Advice?

Thanks xx
Hi!

I got my implant put in last July and quickly after that I experienced very severe mood swings, however I had been suffering from depression years before so that could have been a separate issue completely. But I would prepare myself for that sort of thing because I cried pretty much every day for months before my mood turned out more stable.

Aside from that, it's great contraception and have had about 3 pregnancy tests all negative, and it's stopped my period with occasional spotting.

I'd defintiely recommend it as you don't have to keep reminding yourself to take a pill or go to the doctor's for an injection.

Christina
Jasb6688
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Mine didn’t hurt at all! That used a needle full of anaesthetic and completely numbed after 2 minutes or so, if you’ve ever had you ears pierced it’s a similar like procedure just for a flat surface and they pierce the skin making a little hole and slide the thing in with no pain atall! Usually anyways. Hurts a little for the next couple of days and the bruising goes away after a week. I haven’t had a period at all not even anything and haven’t gotten pregnant so I recommend and is quite good for teenagers that have period trouble. Once it’s there you forget about it really!
Anonymous #4
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi!

I will be having sex for the first time soon! ( cant wait )

However I am worried about contraception. I'm thinking of using the implant, and I just want to hear experiences from girls who have already used this. Ive read some on the NHS website and the the vast majority of the comments were negative but I dont know whether to put this down to the fact it was on the NHS and most people on there probably were trying to find a cure to their bad symptoms. Im mostly worried about gaining weight and mood swings ( and of course not falling pregnant :P).

Advice?

Thanks xx
I’ve had it done and tbf it’s the best best decision ive made. The only issue I have with it is the long periods, I usually have a month on and have a month off however everyone is different so some people don’t even have a period with the implant. I’ve noticed I’m getting more spots but that could be due to anything. It’s better than the pill I believe. Only issue with having the implant and not a condom is that the implant doesn’t protect you from STD/Is so I recommend using a condom too
maebhy-lydia
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not sure about the weight gain/water retention thing because I eat like crap anyway, but I've found the mood swings to be really bad. I'll have very happy periods and then others where I find it hard not to burst out in tears in public, but that might be me. I'm considering getting it removed for that reason.
Nesgul
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If anyone reading this is considering getting the implant, DON'T! I had it put in a year ago, and immediately started putting on weight, esepcially around the chest and stomach. I also bleed for weeks without stopping, which comes on suddenly. I started trying to get it removed in April but when my appointment finally came around in June, they found that it was too deep in my arm to remove. I have gone through a stressful referral process and had one appointment canclled when I was on the train home to get it done later that day. I have an appointment for January, and I am certain it is going to be cancelled again. I am about one drink away from just cutting it out myself with a kitchen knife. I would rather have an unplanned pregancy than this. It isn't worth it
lcdnoisesystem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey!

I dion't sleep with lads but I use the implant to treat my PMDD, and I love it so much.

The first few weeks i felt uncomfortable and bloated, and was spotting. Now i don't have a period and am in no pain at all. Some girls still spot though, its different for everyone.

Also i think its the best option for girls our age because i always used to forget to take the pill at the worst times aha.

Good luck girl x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads