The Student Room Group

Girl who've used the contraceptive implant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have been on Implanon and then Nexplanon for a number of years now (at least 9 and I will be getting another next month) with no side effects whatsoever apart from the best one - no periods! I absolutely love it. I have lost 3 and half stone with Slimming World during that time and also put some back on when my resolve went, so I know my weight has nothing to do with the implant. (Unlike when I ballooned on the pill). I also have another friend who uses it with no issues atall. I think it just depends on your physiology as to whether it will work the same way for you. I hope it does. One tip: get it done in the winter months so you can wear long sleeves to hide the bruising as it looks a bit gruesome for a little while !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!

I will be having sex for the first time soon! ( cant wait :biggrin:)

However I am worried about contraception. I'm thinking of using the implant, and I just want to hear experiences from girls who have already used this. Ive read some on the NHS website and the the vast majority of the comments were negative but I dont know whether to put this down to the fact it was on the NHS and most people on there probably were trying to find a cure to their bad symptoms. Im mostly worried about gaining weight and mood swings ( and of course not falling pregnant :P).

Advice?

Thanks xx

Hi!

I got my implant put in last July and quickly after that I experienced very severe mood swings, however I had been suffering from depression years before so that could have been a separate issue completely. But I would prepare myself for that sort of thing because I cried pretty much every day for months before my mood turned out more stable.

Aside from that, it's great contraception and have had about 3 pregnancy tests all negative, and it's stopped my period with occasional spotting.

I'd defintiely recommend it as you don't have to keep reminding yourself to take a pill or go to the doctor's for an injection.

Christina :smile:
Mine didn’t hurt at all! That used a needle full of anaesthetic and completely numbed after 2 minutes or so, if you’ve ever had you ears pierced it’s a similar like procedure just for a flat surface and they pierce the skin making a little hole and slide the thing in with no pain atall! Usually anyways. Hurts a little for the next couple of days and the bruising goes away after a week. I haven’t had a period at all not even anything and haven’t gotten pregnant so I recommend and is quite good for teenagers that have period trouble. Once it’s there you forget about it really!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!

I will be having sex for the first time soon! ( cant wait :biggrin:)

However I am worried about contraception. I'm thinking of using the implant, and I just want to hear experiences from girls who have already used this. Ive read some on the NHS website and the the vast majority of the comments were negative but I dont know whether to put this down to the fact it was on the NHS and most people on there probably were trying to find a cure to their bad symptoms. Im mostly worried about gaining weight and mood swings ( and of course not falling pregnant :P).

Advice?

Thanks xx

I’ve had it done and tbf it’s the best best decision ive made. The only issue I have with it is the long periods, I usually have a month on and have a month off however everyone is different so some people don’t even have a period with the implant. I’ve noticed I’m getting more spots but that could be due to anything. It’s better than the pill I believe. Only issue with having the implant and not a condom is that the implant doesn’t protect you from STD/Is so I recommend using a condom too
I'm not sure about the weight gain/water retention thing because I eat like crap anyway, but I've found the mood swings to be really bad. I'll have very happy periods and then others where I find it hard not to burst out in tears in public, but that might be me. I'm considering getting it removed for that reason.
Reply 25
If anyone reading this is considering getting the implant, DON'T! I had it put in a year ago, and immediately started putting on weight, esepcially around the chest and stomach. I also bleed for weeks without stopping, which comes on suddenly. I started trying to get it removed in April but when my appointment finally came around in June, they found that it was too deep in my arm to remove. I have gone through a stressful referral process and had one appointment canclled when I was on the train home to get it done later that day. I have an appointment for January, and I am certain it is going to be cancelled again. I am about one drink away from just cutting it out myself with a kitchen knife. I would rather have an unplanned pregancy than this. It isn't worth it
Hey!

I dion't sleep with lads but I use the implant to treat my PMDD, and I love it so much.

The first few weeks i felt uncomfortable and bloated, and was spotting. Now i don't have a period and am in no pain at all. Some girls still spot though, its different for everyone.

Also i think its the best option for girls our age because i always used to forget to take the pill at the worst times aha.

Good luck girl x

Quick Reply

Latest