Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am Wiccan :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Wicca is the religion, a wiccan is a follower of wicca (by the way).
    And no, I'm an atheist but I'm interested in all religions and have a couple of Wiccan friends.
    I like to dispel myths .
    Wicca is not a religion. Wiccans themselves talk about following the "Wiccan tradition" and not the Wiccan religion.

And, as I pointed out earlier, modern Wicca is based on the writings of a crank called Gerald Gardener and goes back at least as far as......erm......1950.

No "religion" attracts charlatans and fools like Wicca.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Oh, here's another one!
    Satanism in its original form actaully isn't worship of the devil, but worship of oneself and one's needs and desires.
    It's basically organised selfishness, which is pretty damned awful anyway.
    The Church of Satan is based in the US and it's basic theology seems to be "if it feels good, do it" Doesn't sound that bad to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The Church of Satan is based in the US and it's basic theology seems to be "if it feels good, do it" Doesn't sound that bad to me.
    But if it 'feels good' to someone to behave in a morally correct way, helping others etc, now can that be satanistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    But if it 'feels good' to someone to behave in a morally correct way, helping others etc, now can that be satanistic?
    Isn't satanism more about hedonism rather than just getting off on being a good guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Isn't satanism more about hedonism rather than just getting off on being a good guy?
    yeah, you'd think satanism would be about like making life miserable for other people rather than just doing stuff that makes you feel good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Thats sort of my point.
    It can't simply be, "if it feels good, do it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia O.)
    yeah, you'd think satanism would be about like making life miserable for other people rather than just doing stuff that makes you feel good
    Well being hedonistic doesn't intrinsically mean you will make life miserable for others. But it is a probably side-effect I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting question!

ReputationRep:
    Thats sort of my point.
    It can't simply be, "if it feels good, do it".
    Perhaps I ought clarify this.

I think what the Church of Satan is saying is that all those "naughty things" we shouldn't do because they are morally wrong in the eyes of the Church (the Christian one) we should do anyway "if it feels good"

I don't think they're talking about helping an old lady cross the road, but more about massive intakes of chemical stimulants and huge ****-fests!!!!

ReputationRep:
    that's what satan would like you to think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Wicca is not a religion. Wiccans themselves talk about following the "Wiccan tradition" and not the Wiccan religion.

And, as I pointed out earlier, modern Wicca is based on the writings of a crank called Gerald Gardener and goes back at least as far as......erm......1950.

No "religion" attracts charlatans and fools like Wicca.
    My apologies, I used the term "religion" too loosely.
    But please don't think that all Wiccans are "charlatans and fools", cos they're not.
    And remember the distinction between witches and Wiccans - not all Wiccans practice magick, though they often overlap.

ReputationRep:
    wow some of the posts in this thread actually made me angry.i was brought up wiccan and so was always aware of how derisivly people could view what i believed in, the beliefs i kept and the gods i loved. i also became increasingly aware of the 12-17 year old 'fad' of being what they think is wiccan or a witch just becuase theyve got a couple of cunningham books and wear dark clothes. and yes its annoying, but more than anything amusing. BUT what i didnt know was how mean and judgmentally people viewed wicca. for a start in itself, the is no 'hierarchy' no 'attaining levels' or 'seven year training', this is what is imposed by the gardnerians and also those who want a taste of power, like all things there are individuals that are in it for the wrong reasons. i think generally everyone with half a brain can understand the distinctions between wicca and satanism but i dont think the same can be said about the differance between wicca and wiccan practice. not everyone spends an hour casting a circle and not everyone acknowledges it as a way of living.

hmmm that might have come out garbled but i think it shows what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryoku)
    urm, the devil, satin and sin are all christian concepts, so to be a 'satanist' you'd have to be a christian. Anything worth while will take time, otherwise it's not worth while, cause everyone would have 'it'. They don't promis that you can do magik, it's more of an 'inner journy' to find yourself.
    Yay, i'm back, been a while though, had a lot to do (damb you games... I love you really... I love my games)
    Eh? Oookay... basic lesson here:

Christianity is only 1 of a number of religions which believe in a God and a Devil, two opposing forces. Think Judaism, Islam etc. etc. So the concept of Satan is not exclusively Christian though I'm pretty sure Muslims don't call Satan "Satan" (if that makes sense).

I think it's known as Abrahamic monotheism.

By your logic, you have to be a Christian, Jew or Muslim (as well as other religions doubtless) to be a Satanist. Wtf?

I think what you were trying to say is that in order to be a Satanist you have to accept the concept of a being called Satan. Right? Because as far as I know, Wiccans don't believe in a God or a Devil....

ReputationRep:
    ''Because as far as I know, Wiccans don't believe in a God or a Devil....''

we believe in the God just as we believe in the Goddess, infact many of us believe in many deities masculine and feminine. we dont believe in a specific evil character, the devil, however we do acknowledge the flip side of the life cycle, death, and in that way there are many deities connected to death and chaos and the 'underworld'. the crone aspect of the major Goddess trinity is sometimes identified as a 'devil' character but not in the malevolent evil sense. but as a reflection tht not all in life is babies and kissing.

ReputationRep:
    Wicca - the religion of choice for angsty teens who watch Buffy.

ReputationRep:
    i was brought up pagan and have been studying wicca for 6 years. where do i fit in in your ignorant generalisation?

i dare you to tell me that i have at least three or four generations of buffy watching anxty teens in my family. i assure you tv wasnt invented that far back.

go cause trouble in a music debate, youl have more success.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 2, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.