The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

is the university of sussex difficult to get into?

i know that it depends on the course (i would like to do media studies) but generally speaking, can you get in with decent grades? and does it help being an international student?

:smile:
Reply 1
In my opinion, I think Sussex isn't "easy" to get into, but rather - an innovative university. They are less 'traditionalist' than other universities in the Top 20, probably since they're known for radicalism and left politics with a lot of student protests ongoing in the 60s (I think). They are more likely to look at each applicant on a case-by-case basis, rather than writing them off if they are in any way unconventional. I can't say this is true across the board, but I applied for English and got an offer, despite having a Diploma in Performing Arts from Malaysia. I am supplementing it with A-Levels, but still! Since you're applying for Media Studies, they will probably stress a lot more on your personal statement than your actual grades (not sure if they'll ask for portfolio or samples of previous work).

I'm unsure about their policy towards international students, but their prospectus does state that they aim to increase the diversity of the student population to have a more global learning, or something along those lines. I won't say being an international student will help, but I think they are more aware of our differences and circumstances in comparison to home students.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
thank you! sussex is my dream school :smile:
Reply 3
Really? :smile: I really liked its radical vibe when I applied, but I am still curious about what made other applicants choose it as well. You?
hmm, i find that i'm simply very drawn to it. i love the location, with the beach and all and it's proximity to london, as well. :biggrin:

i'll be applying next year though, as i'm currently in 11th grade (Year 12).
Reply 5
Where are you from?

Sweet :smile:. Maybe I'll see you when you enter! Hopefully, I'll be a second year student then! I might be the only Asian studying English. Hah! If so, I'll be easy to spot! Do say hi!
Reply 6
It is still a hard lace to get into (8 applicants per place) but as before they have different criteria. A strong statement will put you in with a good chance, but good grades are still a must; none of the courses offered will accept a C at A2 level
I got an offer from them :smile:

I'm not the sharpest tack in the drawer, but I'm not mentally challenged either :smile:
I wouldn't say it's "hard" because it doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong) require applicants to go through an interviewing procedure. But it is competitive because it's a very good university,high in ranking for most subjects, and it's in a fantastic location...

You just need to prove to them that you're a good candidate and you really want to study there :smile:
Yes, because it's the uk's 10th best uni and it's location, next to Brighton is highly desirable. However, it is not an arrogant uni and if you've met the grades or are predicted them you are highly likely to receive an offer. (remember the uni's make many more offers than they have places, due to various reasons)

All that said, I have an ABB offer for Biology, (its my insurance) including Biology and then two from History, Drama and General Studies (so they are not prejudice against students with undesirable A levels) :smile:

Also, Sussex is one of the most diverse universities in the country so being an international student is no bad thing :smile:

Good luck.
Ok, see, I'm not "from" the US, but I go to school here, and I've surpassed all of the requirements that they list for "American" students on the website. Mind you, these requirements are not sooo difficult to surpass.

Thanks for the luck, I hope I get in next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Also, do any of you happen to know, how long it takes to hear back from uni's in the UK?

I was reading on the UCAS website and they said something about like March/April......
It can take any time, from the same day until the end of march. All uni's (bar St. Andrews) will try to respond ASAP so it really just depends on how competitive each course is. Generally speaking, the higher up the league tables the longer it takes to receive a reply. Hope that helps :smile:
Thanks!

Happy holidays :biggrin:
Quite good to immerse urself at sussexx
What do you mean?
Reply 16
Can i get into brighton or sussex with a DDe?
Original post by Amraja
Can i get into brighton or sussex with a DDe?

If you mean distinction, maybe - depending on the course. Theres also foundations and you have a higher chance if youre over 21. I only have CC and I got an offer based on my experience after leaving school. (social sciences)

Quick Reply

Latest