The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmhumphries
If the inner lane is empty, they should be in it. If it isn't, anyone wanting to overtake them will also be in the middle lane, no problem.

If someone is able to overtake you, even in heavy traffic, why is that? Because you are at less of a speed than the inner lane. In busy conditions, I will sit in the inner lane at about 60, and if the lane ahead of me is clear, and the 2nd and 3rd lane are busy, I will undertake as allowed by the highway code.

what?

and yeah i don't feel comfortable doing that, whenever I'm in that situation i find myself purposely going the same speed as the middle lane incase someone wants to pull back into the inner lane. (if that makes sense)
Original post by MutantGecko
what?

and yeah i don't feel comfortable doing that, whenever I'm in that situation i find myself purposely going the same speed as the middle lane incase someone wants to pull back into the inner lane. (if that makes sense)

Sorry, that was meant to be undertake. I am a bit merry shall we say :tongue:
Sorry, that was meant to be undertake. I am a bit merry shall we say :tongue:

oh haha :P all this is too much debate for christmas night :L ill just admit I'm a middle lane hog, i try not to be, but i always think 'yeah ill overtake' then 2 seconds later 'crap they are going really fast'
Reply 23
Coz they can't drive lol

sorry - it's the truth; oh and driving includes parking, sheeeeshhh
WOAH! Hold on a sec theory
I've seen just as many men do it tbh and I'd say the tailgating that the op does as a "solution" is just as dangerous.
Reply 26
No, the problem is that you are meant to move to the inside lane if there is nothing there. If you women are too ****ing stupid to me able to move lane, why should you make a problem for all the rest of us?

did you seriously just say 'if women are too ****ing stupid'...?! How pathetic and ignorant can you be?! Not to mention stupid and narrow-minded. And extremely idiotic.

Go back to the 20th century dude (before that thing called feminism, and the women's rights movement, heard of them?), where your views might be more appreciated.. you don't belong in a modern society and no one wants you here anyway. christ..
Reply 27
Well i've seen idiots from both genders.
Original post by imy7
did you seriously just say 'if women are too ****ing stupid'...?! How pathetic and ignorant can you be?! Not to mention stupid and narrow-minded. And extremely idiotic.

Go back to the 20th century dude (before that thing called feminism, and the women's rights movement, heard of them?), where your views might be more appreciated.. you don't belong in a modern society and no one wants you here anyway. christ..

Whilst I don't disagree with you about him being ignorant and narrow-minded you would have to go further back than that to find the start of feminism (1893 or 4 New Zealand gave equal voting rights to all women and ideas of equality in other areas were around in quite a few nations at that time.) Other examples may be even further back but I can't be sure.
Original post by imy7

Oh hi, did you read my post at all? The poster was female, and made fun of males, so I decided to make fun of females. Or, because it is 2011, I am meant to allow sexist jokes, as long as they are against males? Well?

Original post by curtis871
Whilst I don't disagree with you about him being ignorant and narrow-minded you would have to go further back than that to find the start of feminism (1893 or 4 New Zealand gave equal voting rights to all women and ideas of equality in other areas were around in quite a few nations at that time.) Other examples may be even further back but I can't be sure.

You are welcome to reply to this as well.

Lastly, you should note that the person I quoted and myself parted tonight on good terms. Why you trying to pick a fight with me?
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh hi, did you read my post at all? The poster was female, and made fun of males, so I decided to make fun of females. Or, because it is 2011, I am meant to allow sexist jokes, as long as they are against males? Well?

You are welcome to reply to this as well.

Lastly, you should note that the person I quoted and myself parted tonight on good terms. Why you trying to pick a fight with me?

I wasn't trying to pick a fight and it's good that you parted on good terms. Having reread it I think that on my part I mistook your post as being serious. With only the writing and no other signs as there are in other forms of communication I find it hard to tell quite often so I'll take this opportunity to apologise and be a bit confused about why I assumed yours was serious but the person you quoted wasn't :confused:. Anyway I hope you had a good Christmas.
Reply 31
To answer the OP's question, women stick to the middle lane to avoid being blocked in by lorries/other slow drivers further ahead. It saves you moving in and out, which is more dangerous than staying put. As far as I was aware both genders had the general idea that, unless overtaking, the middle lane is for people who actually go up to the 70mph speed limit and the inside lane is for those who don't.

Are these drivers doing the 70mph or not? If not then I agree they shouldn't be in the middle lane but if not then I only agree they shouldn't be there if there is literally nothing in the inside lane (e.g. no lorry in the distance).

As for getting up their back end, again I can see your point (this doesn't mean I agree it's sensible) if they're not doing the speed limit but otherwise I'm surprised they move over. I would stay put, because the outside lane is there for a reason.
I have never noticed this problem to be caused solely by women. It is bloody annoying though. I used to do a majority of my driving by night when the roads were fairly quiet. In those conditions, there really is no excuse for remaining in the middle lane.

Sometimes I would pass them on the inside. Depended on what mood I was in.

I always used to get stuck on the M1 just as it passes Meadowhall. There, the motorway is just two lanes and there would always be someone sitting in lane 2 doing about 50mph with a lorry in lane one going ever so slightly faster. Highway code rule 110:

"Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users."

Justified imo.
if someone feels comfortable in the middle lane i don't see what the problem is if they are going the appropriate speed?

whats worse is men drivers who think its sensible to undertake (because that is actually dangerous, not just annoying, also)

there is no 'appropriate speed' to remain in lane 2 if lane 1 is empty. you should only be in lane 2 if you are passing a vehicle in lane 1 - and you should pull back into lane 1 unless you'd have to pull straight back out to pass another vehicle.

and if someone can undertake you without causing other vehicles to change speed or direction, it's a big sign you should not be in the lane you are in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by StacFace
To answer the OP's question, women stick to the middle lane to avoid being blocked in by lorries/other slow drivers further ahead. It saves you moving in and out, which is more dangerous than staying put.

no it is not 'more safe' ...

the law , 'normal' , 'advanced' and 'emergency driving instructors / trainers do not advocate it on safety grounds

you create an impediment to the flow of traffic

and if you cannot change lanes easily i'd suggest some coaching to improve your basic driving skills

As far as I was aware both genders had the general idea that, unless overtaking, the middle lane is for people who actually go up to the 70mph speed limit and the inside lane is for those who don't.

no, lane 2 and any subsequent lanes are for passing , you return to lane 1 after passing - if there are a lot of LGVs on a stretch of road you may well remain in lane 2 in a car or light commercial becasue you can travel at 70 mph rather than the 56 mph that some >3.5 t vehicles and the vastest majority of >7.5 t vehicles are limited to

Are these drivers doing the 70mph or not? If not then I agree they shouldn't be in the middle lane but if not then I only agree they shouldn't be there if there is literally nothing in the inside lane (e.g. no lorry in the distance).

As for getting up their back end, again I can see your point (this doesn't mean I agree it's sensible) if they're not doing the speed limit but otherwise I'm surprised they move over. I would stay put, because the outside lane is there for a reason.

if you are not actively passing you should not be in lane 2 - you should only stay in lane 2 if returning to lane 1 would put you in a position where you'd be looking to pull out again to pass the next vehicle in lane 1
Reply 35
I can understand staying in the middle lane if the left lane is crowded with pensioners and lorry drivers.. but not at midnight when theirs no traffic.
Original post by zippyRN
there is no 'appropriate speed' to remain in lane 2 if lane 1 is empty. you should only be in lane 2 if you are passing a vehicle in lane 1 - and you should pull back into lane 1 unless you'd have to pull straight back out to pass another vehicle.

and if someone can undertake you without causing other vehicles to change speed or direction, it's a big sign you should not be in the lane you are in.

yes but sometimes when the thing you are going to overtake pulls out at pretty much the same time as you, someone will quickly undertake you before you have chance to go back.
yes but sometimes when the thing you are going to overtake pulls out at pretty much the same time as you, someone will quickly undertake you before you have chance to go back.

In that case, the undertaking driver clearly is not looking ahead.
Reply 38
You're right! In that crazy taxi/cabbie game my sister always stays in the middle lane, even though it might be easier to move left or right... :rolleyes:
Original post by InnerTemple
In that case, the undertaking driver clearly is not looking ahead.

i know, its annoying and seems to happen quite a lot :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending