The Student Room Group

How does it feel to be heartbroken?

As above, I understand the feeling can be different for everyone depending on the circumstances but how would you describe the heart break you've been through or are going through?

Scroll to see replies

I stopped eating, stopped sleeping and well cried all the time for a whole month...

It was like I had no reason to live and all my happiness taken away from me in one text and 15min fone call...

It took a long time for it to heal... But Ive been single ever since...
Reply 2
I feel like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU**........

I just feel like getting the phone and calling her and begging her to take me back.....

I LOVE HER SO MUCH. I regret breaking up....

P.S. I broke up with my gf 6 weeks ago and am still not over her yet....
Original post by musi_1993
I feel like FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU**........

I just feel like getting the phone and calling her and begging her to take me back.....

I LOVE HER SO MUCH. I regret breaking up....

P.S. I broke up with my gf 6 weeks ago and am still not over her yet....

I wish my ex felt like that bout me...
Reply 4
Like you want to die, really.

It's lying in the foetal position on the floor reverting back to the kind of uncontrollable crying you haven't uttered since you were a baby. You feel so helpless and like nothing will ever get better in that moment. In a daily sense, you get on with life but being heartbroken is always an undercurrent in everything you do.
Firstly comes shock. You're numb and feel an overhelming sadness. Then it becomes painful. You feel like there is no future, no reason for living (not in a suicidal way, but more like everything comes to a halt and is stuck in the present and past). All you can think about is the past, you torture yourself with everything. Suddenly the pain hits. You feel like a bus has driven into you. All you can do is cry. Don't want to eat, or see anyone, or go anywhere, just sit and be alone with your thoughts. Desperation, anxiety, and deep physical pain. Occasionally a feeling of sickness, like you want to throw up... panic and dread. The reason for the heart break fills your every though. Sleeping is hard... it never seems to come and when it does there is no releif because they;re there in your dreams, haunting what used to be pleasant and comforting dreams. The worst part is the waking up, feeling happy because you can feel their dream like presence, and you temporarily forget the trauma- until you wake up a little more and the shock, pain and greif gripps you all over again....

It can take a while to come out of the other side, but eventually you do, then life goes back to being good again.
Reply 6
Original post by GoingInsane
As above, I understand the feeling can be different for everyone depending on the circumstances but how would you describe the heart break you've been through or are going through?

You think being heartbroken is bad? I found a caterpillar in my house and slowly whispered this song into its tiny ear, imagining the horror and torture i was about to bring it... Then it looked up at me and it said "Take me away from all this..."

So i tied him very gently to a helium balloon and sent him floating away to oblivion. Now i sit and think why did i send him away? He was the only one who talked to me in days, and was actually nice and now hes gone. Im so ****in bummed right now.
Reply 7
Heartbreak I think is an integral part of love and life. In my honest opinion the best thing to do after a bad experience is to make sure you remember it so you appreciate how beautiful it can be when the right person comes long.
Reply 8
Cold, numb, empty, lonely, lost
Original post by RyRy.
Cold, numb, empty, lonely, lost

in a nutshell
Reply 10
It's pretty horrible. For me, it wasn't a break up as such, as I was never officially with the guy, but that didn't mean I wasn't in love with him. It made me feel totally worthless because for the previous 7 months or so I'd based my entire sense of self worth on the fact that I thought the same way about me. I felt like I must have done something wrong, and that I would never find anyone else I felt as comfortable with. I didn't see the point in going to lectures or eating, really. I felt like an idiot for ever thinking that we'd end up together. I hated myself for a while afterwards and kept running over old conversations we'd had thinking what I could have done differently to make him like me. I felt like I'd lost my best friend. Also the fact that I never really knew what was going on or how he felt made it feel worse - if I knew that he actually cared about me, at all, it'd help. This all sounds very melodramatic, I'm aware.

Now it's a couple of months on. I still miss him, so much. We're friends but it's not the same. I put a lot more into the friendship than he does and I'm not over him. I'm better than I was but it'll take time. I don't think I'll be over him until I meet someone else but despite trying no one really measures up.
hard to say...

sort of a kick to the balls
you cant understand why, you think what the fk....so many reasons, then theres the hatrid, confusion,sadness, can take,weeks,months or even yrs to get over, and if your 1st time even longer
in my case over a yr and half later does still hurt...prob will for a while
To put it simply - it's probably THE worst feeling in the world (or one of the worst). I've never felt so bad in my life so consistently for such a long time. It wasn't just the fact that it was the worst feeling in the world, but it was the fact I felt like that every day, for the whole day, for weeks and months.

2 months later now I am feeling a tonne better though, and I'm so grateful I don't feel as **** as I used to.
Original post by Future African game vet
Firstly comes shock. You're numb and feel an overhelming sadness. Then it becomes painful. You feel like there is no future, no reason for living (not in a suicidal way, but more like everything comes to a halt and is stuck in the present and past). All you can think about is the past, you torture yourself with everything. Suddenly the pain hits. You feel like a bus has driven into you. All you can do is cry. Don't want to eat, or see anyone, or go anywhere, just sit and be alone with your thoughts. Desperation, anxiety, and deep physical pain. Occasionally a feeling of sickness, like you want to throw up... panic and dread. The reason for the heart break fills your every though. Sleeping is hard... it never seems to come and when it does there is no releif because they;re there in your dreams, haunting what used to be pleasant and comforting dreams. The worst part is the waking up, feeling happy because you can feel their dream like presence, and you temporarily forget the trauma- until you wake up a little more and the shock, pain and greif gripps you all over again....

It can take a while to come out of the other side, but eventually you do, then life goes back to being good again.

Whenever I get stressed I wake up several times throughout the night. When my boyfriend and I broke up I would wake up in the middle of the night, I'd be in a daze and then it would dawn on me that we broke up and it would unleash fresh pain - it was bad, very bad.
It felt as if my chest was decaying and all that was left was a dead husk. I would give anything not to feel it ever again. That tangible physical pain lasted about 2 weeks.
how they end it with you can make it worse aswell though :s-smilie: kinda screwed me up a little
Reply 16

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

This happened to me today... I dreamt that I was sitting on a table with my ex and her family on christmas eve. We were having a really nice time and her dad was given me compliments... I then kissed my ex and woke up and felt sooooooooooooooo happy for like 30secs but then realised it just was a dream!!!!
Reply 17
Original post by merryhappy

Original post by merryhappy
Get back together with her?! She's likely to be feeling the same way, but don't be needy about it.

The thing is I broke up with her twice. So the first time she asked me to get back together - I was very hesitant but then agreed to it. After the second break up I asked her to get back with me and I really apologized for breaking up and literally begged her to get back but she refused to do so - that was 5 weeks ago. I don't know whether I should try again... what do you think??? I know that she's got feelings for me, but the thing is once I broke up with her two other guys have asked her out on dates - she refused to go out with them but still they are giving her an ego boost and thus she's being very cold about the whole getting back together.

What should i do??
First you feel your heart in your stomach, then you feel like contacting the person which makes it even worse, you cry for about a month sometimes more. You think about that person nearly all day everyday sometimes even after 4-5 months, you cannot eat/sleep for a week properly.
Yea one of the worst things are having dreams about them, then waking up and realizing it was just a dream. Really ****ing annoying...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending