The Student Room Group

Men and women are not the same

This was inspired by the "Men: If a woman hit you, would you hit her back?" thread.

Mainly because the typical response to this question was "Yeah, if they want equal rights then they got 'em!!"

Is it so hard to understand that equal rights under the law does not mean that men and women are exactly the same? Please note, I'm in no way saying that women should be allowed to hit men without consequence - that's ridiculous. I was just a little disheartened to read how eager males (and females!) were to treat women exactly the same as men. Disregarding chivalry and propriety and all those niceties which I suppose are dead - women are weaker than men, statistically speaking. I would refrain from hitting anyone, male or female, if he/she could not take a hit. Most women cannot take a hit from a man; most men can take a hit from a woman.

But that's really beside the point. None of us should worry about striking a member of the opposite gender in the first place. What I'd like to know is, do you truly consider men and women exactly the same? Do you consider a woman who swears and boasts and swaggers any more uncouth than a man who does the same? Do you believe in treating young girls exactly the same as young boys, teenage girls just the same as teenage boys, etc?

tl;dr - Do equal rights for men and women mean that men and women should be regarded as exactly the same? (Not under the law; in society/interpersonal relationships.)

EDIT: Guys, I'm not really too focused on men hitting women and vice-versa. If you notice, I said nobody should be hitting anyone. Please address the bit in bold? And Merry Christmas :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Forget that and enjoy the christmas spirit :santa3:
Reply 2
God created us the same :smile:
I'm a woman and any bitch that hits a man deserves to get hit back. Why should men stop themselves from hitting back just because they have a vagina? Shouldn't have hit the man in the first place.
Reply 4
Interesting fact: 1 in 5 murders in london are caused by domestic violence.
Reply 5
What do you mean by "take a hit from..."? If a woman punched a man in the face it would be very likely to result in a bruise and pain. Is "taking it" synonymous with not crying? I understand that men are generally stronger, so it would be safe to conclude that a punch from a man would hurt more.

But as I understand it, women have a higher threshold for pain than men do.

Just for the record, I'm not in any way promoting the beating of women.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
So here it is merry christmas! Spam spam spam spam, spam spam spaaaaam!
Original post by *Hakz*
God created us the same :smile:

Well, no he didn't because in the Bible, women are treated as-...

Ah screw it. It's Christmas. Let us let this one slide.
I don't think anyone should be hitting anyone really...
ehhh

:merry:
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Well, no he didn't because in the Bible, women are treated as-...

Ah screw it. It's Christmas. Let us let this one slide.

Your a less grumpy sod than me then :tongue: I wouldn't have let it go even on xmas day :P
If a women hits a man, a man has every right to hit her back. If a old person hits a young person, a young person has ever right to hit them back. Once a skinny teenager hits a 6'5 300lbs powerlifter, the powerlifter has every right to hit them back. Strength doesn't not come into the equation of whether or not you should hit them. Strength comes into the equation of how hard you should hit them. Last time I got into a fight with a women I just grabbed her hair and slammed her face onto the table until she calmed down.

Anyway, no I don't consider women and men the same. And yes, I consider a women who does those things more uncouth than a man who does those things. But, should I? No, speaking rationally I shouldn't. Yes, teenagers girls should be treated the same as teenage boys (generally). Can you give me an example of when a teenage girls/boys physiological differences cause them to be treated differently?
Reply 12
Original post by modini
What do you mean by "take a hit from..."? If a woman punched a man in the face it would be very likely to result in a bruise and pain. Is "taking it" synonymous with not crying? I understand that men are generally stronger, so it would be safe to conclude that a punch from a man would hurt more.

But as I understand it, women have a higher threshold for pain than men do.

Just for the record, I'm not in any way promoting the beating of women.

It would still hurt, yeah, but as an example, I have a pair of twin brothers a year younger than me who are a foot taller than me (6'2). Occasionally we get into a physical fight. However, if I were to hit one of them at full strength the most I would probably be able to do is break their nose. If they were to hit me at full strength I would probably be knocked out, concussed... dead? That is a bit extreme but they're strong, ha.

So with that reasoning, generally it's easier to "take a hit" from a girl.

I definitely don't think woman should beat a man up either so, just for clarification.
Reply 13
if someone throws a punch they should expect one back. If the person is that much stronger than them they probably should of thought it through before hitting them
I think what you need to pay attention to if someone hits you, is how much weaker than you they are. If they are far weaker, and couldn't defend themselves effectively against you, then it's probably "wrong" to hit them back.
By all means defend yourself and stop them, but it could never be a fair fight.

This isn't necessarily just linked to gender (although most women are weaker than a lot of men, but it's not a rule as such), it is also about not hitting children, disabled people, or basically anyone significantly weaker than yourself.

This is obviously just my personal opinion. We all should have equal rights, but are not all the same physically.
Having said all of this, I don't think we should really be hitting each other at all, unless absolutely necessary.
Reply 15
Original post by im so academic
i'm a woman and any bitch that hits a man deserves to get hit back. Why should men stop themselves from hitting back just because they have a vagina? Shouldn't have hit the man in the first place.

i love you:colondollar:
Original post by ak137
Forget that and enjoy the christmas spirit :santa3:

:lol:
Original post by t-swiper
i love you:colondollar:

i love her too :colondollar:
Reply 18
Original post by im so academic
I'm a woman and any bitch that hits a man deserves to get hit back. Why should men stop themselves from hitting back just because they have a vagina? Shouldn't have hit the man in the first place.

Original post by Fishbulb25
I don't think anyone should be hitting anyone really...

Original post by boba
if someone throws a punch they should expect one back. If the person is that much stronger than them they probably should of thought it through before hitting them

I already said, I don't think anyone should be hitting anyone else. I was more focused on whether or not you feel men and women should be regarded exactly the same simply because they have equal rights. But that's okay - we can save it for after Christmas, I agree (:
someone stop the presses now!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending