The Student Room Group

Men and women are not the same

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I want to hit the op
Reply 21
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I think what you need to pay attention to if someone hits you, is how much weaker than you they are. If they are far weaker, and couldn't defend themselves effectively against you, then it's probably "wrong" to hit them back.
By all means defend yourself and stop them, but it could never be a fair fight.

This isn't necessarily just linked to gender (although most women are weaker than a lot of men, but it's not a rule as such), it is also about not hitting children, disabled people, or basically anyone significantly weaker than yourself.

This is obviously just my personal opinion. We all should have equal rights, but are not all the same physically.
Having said all of this, I don't think we should really be hitting each other at all, unless absolutely necessary.

Really wish people would read the OP :/ You pretty much just restated everything I already laid down.
OP, how about you share your view of why (I presume) women and men shouldn't be treated equally socially/in interpersonal relationships? What known differences in men and women lead you to believe this?
Original post by tite23
I already said, I don't think anyone should be hitting anyone else. I was more focused on whether or not you feel men and women should be regarded exactly the same simply because they have equal rights. But that's okay - we can save it for after Christmas, I agree (:

No, they should be treated the same way because it is not right to treat another person differently just because they have different genitals.
Original post by tite23
This was inspired by the "Men: If a woman hit you, would you hit her back?" thread.

Mainly because the typical response to this question was "Yeah, if they want equal rights then they got 'em!!"

Is it so hard to understand that equal rights under the law does not mean that men and women are exactly the same? Please note, I'm in no way saying that women should be allowed to hit men without consequence - that's ridiculous. I was just a little disheartened to read how eager males (and females!) were to treat women exactly the same as men. Disregarding chivalry and propriety and all those niceties which I suppose are dead - women are weaker than men, statistically speaking. I would refrain from hitting anyone, male or female, if he/she could not take a hit. Most women cannot take a hit from a man; most men can take a hit from a woman.

But that's really beside the point. None of us should worry about striking a member of the opposite gender in the first place. What I'd like to know is, do you truly consider men and women exactly the same? Do you consider a woman who swears and boasts and swaggers any more uncouth than a man who does the same? Do you believe in treating young girls exactly the same as young boys, teenage girls just the same as teenage boys, etc?

tl;dr - Do equal rights for men and women mean that men and women should be regarded as exactly the same? (Not under the law; in society/interpersonal relationships.)

EDIT: Guys, I'm not really too focused on men hitting women and vice-versa. If you notice, I said nobody should be hitting anyone. Please address the bit in bold? And Merry Christmas :tongue:

I completely agree with your arguments
Reply 25
Original post by *Hakz*
God created us the same :smile:

Ewww, just no
Reply 26
how many women are going round 'throwing punches'? Ridiculousness.
Reply 27
Original post by Sadsnail
Interesting fact: 1 in 5 murders in london are caused by domestic violence.

were did you get that statistic from?
The person who think men are women are the same have clearly been doing it wrong for sometime.
Reply 29
Original post by RinniieX
were did you get that statistic from?

Met police advert on radio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10307913
Reply 30
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
OP, how about you share your view of why (I presume) women and men shouldn't be treated equally socially/in interpersonal relationships? What known differences in men and women lead you to believe this?

See, when you bring the word "equally" into the discussion, it makes it sound like I don't want men and women to be treated as equal beings. We're both equally important, deserve equal rights, etc. What I'm saying is men and women are not the same. Those "different genitals" that you guys are trivializing actually do make a difference.

The known differences I've observed in men and women tend to be more pronounced masculinity (boldness, assertiveness, aggression, etc) in men, and more pronounced femininity (gentleness, sensitivity, "girly"ness, quiet grace, etc) in women. Sounds sexist or stereotypical, but it's true to some degree in every case. Men and women also have unique sense of humors with obvious overlaps. I act differently around fellow females than I do around males; I can talk about certain topics I wouldn't usually bring up around guys. Do you act exactly the same around girls as you do around guys? Honestly curious; I'm not trying to attack you in any way.

None of this means I think one gender is superior to the other, or that one should be able to hit the other without consequences. It just means I feel we are different - and we are. It's not a bad thing.
Reply 31
Original post by nmudz_009
I completely agree with your arguments

Are you being sarcastic? Sorry; hard to tell on here.
Reply 32
If a women hits a man, a man has every right to hit her back. If a old person hits a young person, a young person has ever right to hit them back. Once a skinny teenager hits a 6'5 300lbs powerlifter, the powerlifter has every right to hit them back. Strength doesn't not come into the equation of whether or not you should hit them. Strength comes into the equation of how hard you should hit them. Last time I got into a fight with a women I just grabbed her hair and slammed her face onto the table until she calmed down.

Anyway, no I don't consider women and men the same. And yes, I consider a women who does those things more uncouth than a man who does those things. But, should I? No, speaking rationally I shouldn't. Yes, teenagers girls should be treated the same as teenage boys (generally). Can you give me an example of when a teenage girls/boys physiological differences cause them to be treated differently?

Hm, I don't agree with that above bit. Maybe a young, strong person has every right to strike a frail, older person in retaliation, but what does that say about that young person? Where's the strength of will, the maturity, the restraint? I agree that nobody should expect this restraint as a given, but ideally "strong" people shouldn't be cowardly enough to lash out at "weak" people.

I, for one, would not applaud a young person knocking an old person to the ground when he/she could've easily restrained them. Unnecessary.

EDIT: Reread your post. So you slammed a weaker person's face into the table till she "calmed down"? Couldn't you have grabbed her instead? Do you not see how that constitutes an out-of-control character? That's called abusing your strength, if you could have restrained her.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tite23
Hm, I don't agree with that above bit. Maybe a young, strong person has every right to strike a frail, older person in retaliation, but what does that say about that young person? Where's the strength of will, the maturity, the restraint? I agree that nobody should expect this restraint as a given, but ideally "strong" people shouldn't be cowardly enough to lash out at "weak" people.

I, for one, would not applaud a young person knocking an old person to the ground when he/she could've easily restrained them. Unnecessary.

EDIT: Reread your post. So you slammed a weaker person's face into the table till she "calmed down"? Couldn't you have grabbed her instead? Do you not see how that constitutes an out-of-control character? That's called abusing your strength, if you could have restrained her.

Agreed. It shows a lack of consideration of the persons strength. This is why I noted "Strength comes into the equation of how hard you should hit them". Actually, change the word hit to "physically restrain".

Well she was trying to scratch my face. How am I supposed to grab her? By pushing her face on the table it calms her down. I wasn't doing it with extreme force just enough so she could calm down and stop reacting violently.

Original post by tite23
See, when you bring the word "equally" into the discussion, it makes it sound like I don't want men and women to be treated as equal beings. We're both equally important, deserve equal rights, etc. What I'm saying is men and women are not the same. Those "different genitals" that you guys are trivializing actually do make a difference.

The known differences I've observed in men and women tend to be more pronounced masculinity (boldness, assertiveness, aggression, etc) in men, and more pronounced femininity (gentleness, sensitivity, "girly"ness, quiet grace, etc) in women. Sounds sexist or stereotypical, but it's true to some degree in every case. Men and women also have unique sense of humors with obvious overlaps. I act differently around fellow females than I do around males; I can talk about certain topics I wouldn't usually bring up around guys. Do you act exactly the same around girls as you do around guys? Honestly curious; I'm not trying to attack you in any way.

None of this means I think one gender is superior to the other, or that one should be able to hit the other without consequences. It just means I feel we are different - and we are. It's not a bad thing.

Hmm, I see what you're saying and I agree. Men and women (generally) differ in terms of their behavior/psychology hence in interpersonal relationships/socially shouldn't be treated as those they have the same psychology/behavior. For example, don't expect women to appreciate your toilet humor. Then, again is there much difference then the way we treat different ethnicity/classes? As a black person, I recognize that some of my humor which comes from black comedians like Dave Chapelle etc won't be a hit with some white people. Similarly, as working class I recognize that my humor won't bit a hit with the upper class. The working class are typically more hands-on etc so I can't expect those from the upper class to be similar and willing to get dirty etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Sadsnail
Met police advert on radio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10307913

thank youu! (need statistics for my criminology essay, that will be good use to me! hehe)
Reply 35
Agreed. It shows a lack of consideration of the persons strength. This is why I noted "Strength comes into the equation of how hard you should hit them". Actually, change the word hit to "physically restrain".

Well she was trying to scratch my face. How am I supposed to grab her? By pushing her face on the table it calms her down. I wasn't doing it with extreme force just enough so she could calm down and stop reacting violently.

No, in that case I guess you did the right thing. The way you said it made me think you were repeatedly smashing her head into the table, but just pushing her against the table was the best you could do. Trying to scratch your face, huh? Sounds like a true lady :tongue:

Hmm, I see what you're saying and I agree. Men and women (generally) differ in terms of their behavior/psychology hence in interpersonal relationships/socially shouldn't be treated as those they have the same psychology/behavior. For example, don't expect women to appreciate your toilet humor. Then, again is there much difference then the way we treat different ethnicity/classes? As a black person, I recognize that some of my humor which comes from black comedians like Dave Chapelle etc won't be a hit with some white people. Similarly, as working class I recognize that my humor won't bit a hit with the upper class. The working class are typically more hands-on etc so I can't expect those from the upper class to be similar and willing to get dirty etc.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. We shouldn't act like we're exactly the same just because we're equal. Disregarding the fact that it takes a whole lot of fun out of society (diversity is always fun :smile:), it's just not true.
Original post by tite23
This was inspired by the "Men: If a woman hit you, would you hit her back?" thread.

Mainly because the typical response to this question was "Yeah, if they want equal rights then they got 'em!!"

Is it so hard to understand that equal rights under the law does not mean that men and women are exactly the same? Please note, I'm in no way saying that women should be allowed to hit men without consequence - that's ridiculous. I was just a little disheartened to read how eager males (and females!) were to treat women exactly the same as men. Disregarding chivalry and propriety and all those niceties which I suppose are dead - women are weaker than men, statistically speaking. I would refrain from hitting anyone, male or female, if he/she could not take a hit. Most women cannot take a hit from a man; most men can take a hit from a woman.

But that's really beside the point. None of us should worry about striking a member of the opposite gender in the first place. What I'd like to know is, do you truly consider men and women exactly the same? Do you consider a woman who swears and boasts and swaggers any more uncouth than a man who does the same? Do you believe in treating young girls exactly the same as young boys, teenage girls just the same as teenage boys, etc?

tl;dr - Do equal rights for men and women mean that men and women should be regarded as exactly the same? (Not under the law; in society/interpersonal relationships.)

EDIT: Guys, I'm not really too focused on men hitting women and vice-versa. If you notice, I said nobody should be hitting anyone. Please address the bit in bold? And Merry Christmas :tongue:

You could have said this **** on that question. It didn't deserve a new thread.
Reply 37
Original post by ilovefashion90
You could have said this **** on that question. It didn't deserve a new thread.

Could you actually take the time to read the OP? Even just the bold bit would have told you that my question was whether or not men and women should be regarded as exactly the same, not whether or not men should hit women. Merry Christmas.
Original post by tite23
Are you being sarcastic? Sorry; hard to tell on here.

I do, its just IM too tired to explain :colondollar:
The title of this thread cleared up a lot of stuff for me. I finally see where I was going wrong all these years, for that, I thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending