The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Since he was a born a Jew, then I very much doubt it.
Reply 2
He was Born in Jerusalam right? :confused:
Reply 3
I would have said he was more of a tan colour.
Reply 4
he would have looked more middle eastern than black.
i think he was olive skin but its a good theroy
Reply 6
yeah he was definitely coloured a) he came from a predominately coloured reason and b) it says so in the bible (thick wiry hair, feet the colour of brass)

white supremacists have no argument, blacks/coloured are the master race
Reply 7
Jesus would have been Middle Eastern in appearance. Not Caucasian white, but not black either.

There doesn't have to be a "master race" at all, does there?
Reply 8
Bigcnee
Since he was a born a Jew, then I very much doubt it.

Why can't jewish people be black? There is a substantial jewish community in Ethiopia. I definitely don't think he was white, but i doubt Moses or any of the Israelites were. Living in the middle east they would have developed a darker skin complexion.
Reply 9
I don't think the Ethiopians are excluded from the jewish community. At my school (a jewish one) we had this rather religious teacher, and she told this (trying not to be racist or anything) "black" guy who was jewish, that black people couldn't be jewish. At which he got rather upset about. Needless to say the teacher got in a lot of trouble for her narrow-minded statement and the boy was moved out of her classes out of his own chouce.
Reply 10
piginapoke
Why couldn't Moses be black?

You mis-understood me. I meant that i'm sure Jesus was not white, and i'm sure moses or any of the israelites weren't white either.
he was not black, but his skin would probably be darker than he is often shown to be in england.

some think that he may have survived crucifiction and lived in kashmir until he was 80...look it up...
I don't think it matters.
blag dahlia112
Anyone else agree?

I know this sounds odd, but according to a large percentage of the UK, people who are of coloured race are often referred to as black.

I know this isn't shouldn't be the case, but I am iranian and i do know many who would casually refer to me as "black" even though my skin is brownish colour; and not in a racist way or anything, just as if it's a normal comment.

If you're putting "is jesus black" in that context, then yes he was as he's rom the middle east!! :tongue:

BTW - To the person who said this, good point, Jew's can be black as well (and i mean black, not just "coloured LOL), so that's an interesting point....

But he was'nt White!
innitman_uk

some think that he may have survived crucifiction and lived in kashmir until he was 80...look it up...

Really?! Wow, that's interesting......
Reply 15
piginapoke
Quite likely given that crucifixion normally takes days to kill someone, and Jesus was only up there for a few hours (true - do the math). He also bled when pierced by the spear, hinting at the fact he was probably still alive then.

Nah-uh - crucifixion could take any length of time - he was probably up there several hours, and having been beaten etc he would have been very week. The trauma of being nailed would also have sped up the death, even if the blood loss wasn't that extreme (normally people were just tied to the cross).

When pierced by the spear, it says something like "blood and water poured out." This indicates that he was dead - the blood separates when you die, and this separated mixture (RBCs and plasma in reality, I think) is what is described. Because of this, the Romans did not break his legs, which was normal practice if victims were taking too long to die. It's in Mark or something, I think.
Reply 16
piginapoke
I'm not a medical person. I read somewhere (long forgotten where) that the 'water' could have been some kind of fluid that's produced when the body suffers great trauma. Either way I was convinced that he was not necessarily dead. I'll try to dig up the reference.

Again I don't have references to hand at the moment but also Pilate was 'surprised' to hear that Jesus had died so quickly suggesting it was rare for people to die so fast via crucifixion.

Anyway, didn't Jesus almost immediately die or pass out after drinking the sponge held up for him?

who cares it was just a normal guy anyways... he didn't have any special powers....... and he probably looked like an arab
Reply 17
John 19: 32-34 "32The soldiers therefore came and broke the legs of the first man who had been crucified with Jesus, and then those of the other. 33But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. 34Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water."

Didn't find anything about Pilate. Oh, and I know that this one was written later, but all the others refer to him "Giving up his spirit." I dunno, you can argue till you're blue in the face whether or not he died; we'll never really know.

Gnostic - do they actually nail themselves up, or are they just tied? It depends on what you believe - the entire Christian faith is based on the fact that he died; even if he didn't how would he have got out of the tomb, got rid of the guards (presumably if he hadn't risen from the dead, there wouldn't be any angels around to help with that) and got out unnoticed, being as famous as he was?

MuniE
who cares it was just a normal guy anyways... he didn't have any special powers....... and he probably looked like an arab

That all depends on what you believe. I'm not about to start defending my beliefs or trying to convert people though.
Reply 18
Gnostic
The pagans and Jews believed that Jesus' father was a Roman soldier - Tiberius Julius Abdes Pantera, an archer, native of Sidon, Phoenicia, who in 9 AD was transferred to service in Germany where his grave remains to this day. See, for example, the Jewish Talmud, and Origen's "Contra Celsus".

Evidence?

Oh, I don't know. I'm getting confused. Time for bed.
Reply 19
Gnostic
As for Jesus calling himself "son of God" (assuming that he did), that is nothing remarkable - it was a common phrase amongst magicians-miracle-workers in the first century and is found in many ancient pagan magical spells.

I think Jesus always referred to himself as the "Son of Man," to make a distinction between himself and the others or something. I dunno, I'm not the best person to argue about these things with. These (religious) arguments always end up upsetting me.

Latest

Trending

Trending