Implant Worries, Constantly Hungry, Feeling Sick Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello!

I had the contraceptive implant put in the end of August and been having unprotected sex with my boyfriend since the day it was put in.

Since then I have not had one period, yet I have had period-like cramps and aches. This last week I've been feeling so sick. I'm constantly feeling hungry and having hunger pains, but because of the feeling sick it dulls my appetite.

Also, you know when you're stomach is about to rumble and you sort of feel a tension building up - I get that but then it doesn't rumble it just turns into this huge pain that sort of moves up my abdomen.. very painful, had it for about an hour yesterday, all through the night last night and had it his morning. Is this heartburn? I haven't eaten.. but I've never had it before or is it something to do with my other tummy problems? Or are they unconnected..? :/

I can't be pregnant because I've got this implant fitted but wondered if anyone else had any of the same problems or if the implant can cause these symptoms? Or someone has even suggested Celiac disease..

Just wondered for some quick reassurance as it's xmas, and I'm going away tomorrow for a two weeks so will be a while before I could get to a Dr!

Thank you and Merry Christmas
Beige_Angel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know where you went to get your implant fitted but your nurse should have told you that you should not have unprotected sex for at least a week (sometimes two depending on the type) before starting on any kind of contraception other than using condoms. If you have unprotected sex before this time then there's still a risk of pregnancy.

The implant works by slowly releasing progestogen into your body over periods of time until it is constantly in your bloodstream (until it runs out after 3 years). Your nurse should have informed you that, because of the slow release, it takes a short while to become fully effective.

If you had unprotected sex the day after having the implant fitted then you should do a pregnancy test as soon as possible because the hormones would only just have entered your bloodstream and as you said, you have been having unprotected sex since the day it was put in. Your symptoms could be related to a pregnancy.

Also, the implant does have side effects and many girls have constant nausea, bloating, stomach pains, lethargy or missed/irregular periods etc for several months after having the implant fitted. I personally was quite ill (and hated it :o: ) for around 5-6 months after having mine put in but was told this was normal. Apparently it can take up to 6 months for side effects to wear off and if they last longer than this you should see you nurse/doctor and consider having the implant removed.

If you need any more info I'd suggest you check the NHS website but the first thing you should do is buy and take a pregnancy test just in case.

Hope this helps!
hakashazen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have the implant too but i do get my period atleast i got it once since it was placed in september I was really really hungry all the time and i'd eat and eat but my stomach kept sending signals of hunger pain and i will grumble though... I'll eat and 30 min later be super hungry again and it's happening again it started yesturday i don't understand
Devify
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hakashazen)
I have the implant too but i do get my period atleast i got it once since it was placed in september I was really really hungry all the time and i'd eat and eat but my stomach kept sending signals of hunger pain and i will grumble though... I'll eat and 30 min later be super hungry again and it's happening again it started yesturday i don't understand
This post is 6 years old so best to start a new one
Leah.Hattle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ive been on the Inplanon Since 2008 and getting them renewed every 3 years and since ive been in it since 11 years i have put on 4 stones with the implant and im always hungry every 5 minutes and before i had the implant put in i could get away with not eatting or feeling hungry for 1 day and also i been diagnosed with Chronic Migraines (caused my Implanon) and the reason why i wont switch to no other contraception is because my options are limited 1) Birth Control Pill is a no no as im overweight and i dont qualify and plus i wouldnt remember anyway. 2) Depo Injection can take up to a year for your Fertility to return so no. 3) Condoms- Well it feels better without. 4) The implanon i suppose the Good thing about implanon is that it stops periods permanently while your on the implant. and the coil or iud no no no as that gave me pelvic pains and very very heavy moutains of bleeding which i have never suffered from before
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (38)
15.7%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (17)
7.02%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
7.02%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (26)
10.74%
Monster Munch (18)
7.44%
Pringles (65)
26.86%
Walkers Oven Baked Crisps (15)
6.2%
Walkers Beef and Onion (3)
1.24%
Thai Sweet Chili Sensations (43)
17.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise