The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I've kind of surprised myself.. I'm in my second year now, and I'm really not looking forward to starting uni again on Monday. This time last year I couldn't wait to get back but the novelty seems to of worn of a bit. I'm running out of reasons to enjoy uni I think; I'm enjoying the content of the course but really struggling with the exams (failed my first year, got a course change, and just got results back from exams before Christmas - 32, 42 and 55%. Oops), I'm badly running out of money, my friends just seem to have oodles of free time and occupy that time with not a lot beyond getting high every day.. I'm just getting a bit overwhelmed! I feel a bit tragic really, aged 20 and all I want to do right now is stay at home with my mum and dad haha. Lame.
Reply 61
Original post by Lucyyy
I've kind of surprised myself.. I'm in my second year now, and I'm really not looking forward to starting uni again on Monday. This time last year I couldn't wait to get back but the novelty seems to of worn of a bit. I'm running out of reasons to enjoy uni I think; I'm enjoying the content of the course but really struggling with the exams (failed my first year, got a course change, and just got results back from exams before Christmas - 32, 42 and 55%. Oops), I'm badly running out of money, my friends just seem to have oodles of free time and occupy that time with not a lot beyond getting high every day.. I'm just getting a bit overwhelmed! I feel a bit tragic really, aged 20 and all I want to do right now is stay at home with my mum and dad haha. Lame.

Did you change courses at the same uni??? How did you go about and get a course change???
Reply 62
Original post by Mel2606
Did you change courses at the same uni??? How did you go about and get a course change???

It was at the same uni but the course change was automatic, I failed my first year of pharmacy and universities offering it have to offer a 3 year BSc equivalent for dim folk like me!
Reply 63
Got back an hour ago and feel pretty **** right now tbh, I really didn't want to go back, I freaking love my life at home and it does really trump Uni in every way. I had never wanted to go to Uni in the first place actually (well I did but I don't think I was ready) but coming back today I felt worse even than I did when I was on my way there for the first time because then I at least had the hope that I would enjoy it despite my misgivings. Thing is I thought I'd finally got a bit settled at the end of the term after a tough start to Uni but now I think I was pretty much just hanging on and waiting for Christmas to be back home again. I want to drop out but I know I won't because I wanted to drop out for a lot of the first term, and also wanted to defer entry for a year in the summer, but I've never really had the guts to tell anyone this. The annoying thing as well is that this now means I've left it too late to realistically apply for next year, so I either have to just try and stick out the whole 3 years or reapply later in 2013, if such a thing is even possible or feasible with money and everything.

And to make things worse I've a 9am seminar tomorrow morning in a module that I don't even want to be doing, and a 2 hour long one at that!
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't want to come back either :frown: I feel overwhelmed by the work already. And I miss being able to wander out of my room and see people, here it feels like I'm locked in this little basement cell all frigging day.
Reply 65
totally agree. I hate it here. The place is lovely don't get me wrong and I like my own space. I just miss home like hell, i'm really close to my mum and I hate not being able to go downstairs for a chat to her or go to my own fridge stupid things like that. I just miss my own bed and all the home comforts. I'm shy but here I'm becoming like a recluse and I don't want to leave my room. I've tried joining societies but that's like what 3 hours out of a week, the rest of the time i'm sat in my room alone. :frown:
Well im back now, sent off my ucas for 2012 uni cycle, for both 2nd year entry and 1st year entry on some courses.
Finding it weird being back, have missed my friends here, but still wishing i was home.
When does this end? bloody hell.
Reply 67
I feel the same sort of D: I live at home because the uni is quite close to my house but I never really felt like I belonged at uni if that makes sense. The first 2 weeks were just awful and I was ready to drop out but parents persuaded me to change courses. The course I am doing now is better but it doesn't change the way I feel about uni :frown: I haven't really made any friends and I thought it would get better after Christmas but it has just gave me more time to think properly and I am so close to dropping out. Yet if I do drop out, I will have nothing to do. I worked so hard to get here so I just don't want to throw it all away but at the same time, I don't feel like uni is the right thing for me. Plus I am only getting 40-49% on assignments despite putting a lot of effort in them. I started back yesterday and so far, only went to 1 out of 3 lectures and I am tempted not to go tomorrow because I have lost all motivation :frown: Everyone keeps saying it gets better but it's just getting worse.
To be honest, the only reason that is keeping me in uni is the money from student finances...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Teito
I feel the same sort of D: I live at home because the uni is quite close to my house but I never really felt like I belonged at uni if that makes sense. The first 2 weeks were just awful and I was ready to drop out but parents persuaded me to change courses. The course I am doing now is better but it doesn't change the way I feel about uni :frown: I haven't really made any friends and I thought it would get better after Christmas but it has just gave me more time to think properly and I am so close to dropping out. Yet if I do drop out, I will have nothing to do. I worked so hard to get here so I just don't want to throw it all away but at the same time, I don't feel like uni is the right thing for me. Plus I am only getting 40-49% on assignments despite putting a lot of effort in them. I started back yesterday and so far, only went to 1 out of 3 lectures and I am tempted not to go tomorrow because I have lost all motivation :frown: Everyone keeps saying it gets better but it's just getting worse.
To be honest, the only reason that is keeping me in uni is the money from student finances...

Sadly yes also
:frown:

i also have no plan of what to do if i drop out...
Original post by ilovebagels
I know how you feel.

I settled in well at uni with regards to making friends- I've found a group I get on with really well, and I love my halls, and I've even put down a deposit for a house next year.

But academically, it just isn't right. I've got no motivation to do work, I can't concentrate on revision. I thought it would get better after the first lot of deadlines- that doing some actual work would remind me why I'd chosen to go to university in the first place, but it hasn't. And I feel even worse now I've come home. I miss what I had on my gap year- a job, with no studying to do outside of it.

I don't know what to do :/ has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I feel exactly the same. Everything socially is going great but being a student again is just such a struggle after a summer off working pretty much full time. I'm personally gonna stick with it tbh but if it weren't for my flatmates housemates and society friends I would have dropped out a while ago. I'm just hoping ill get more into it next semester.
Original post by natalieann1993
Is anyone else feeling like they dont really want to go back to uni after the holidays end?

Ive been working full time, catching up with my mates, and am really enjoying myself and feeling happier than i have in the past 3 months.

Although ive enjoyed my first term and made friends, i do slightly regret my choice and am really enjoying being back in the city after being bored for 3 months.

is this normal with your first long term home visit?
im really dreading going back in 2 weeks time.

Hey natalieann1993 :hello:

It is totally normal to be unmotivated about coming back to uni after having time off for Christmas at home with family and friends. I would recommend that you return to your university in January and see how you feel once you are back. If you still feel the same as you do now, your next step would be to speak with your universities student support and/or academic advisor. Most universities offer fanstastic support services that are not utilized.

You want to make sure that you get all of the support and advice you need in order to make the best decision for yourself of whether or not university is the right path for you.. and most importantly make sure you are happy!

If you have any other questions let me know and Ill do my best to help.

I hope this helps,

Amy :biggrin:
6 year old thread.
As most of these comments on this thread are years old, i wonder how everyone got on? did you guys drop out?

Latest

Trending

Trending