How do they get away with hunting foxes?

Watch
Computerised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
No comment on my views on foxhunting, all I wasn't to know is if it is illegal why are there thousands of guys on horses with dogs sauntering around the high streets of Britain on their way to hunt foxes? Surely it's obvious lawbreaking? Why aren't the police doing anything?
HP15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because counter to what soft-headed city folk believe, foxes are a big pain in the arse along with badgers.

Its a joke of a law and I believe there is a lot of room to manouvre within it.

Inc negs from soft-headed liberals, anti hunts people and animal rights terrorists.
Boo_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because they claim to be not hunting foxes and it's hard for the police to catch them when it's done in the country where there aren't as many police patrols
Lewis :D
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because fox hunting usually takes place in Tory heartlands where it's supported, people probably don't alert the police.
Square
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
its a totally unenforceable law, as well as being totally stupid.

As if any of these anti-hunt campaigners wouldn't poison mice if they had them in their city homes, because mice are vermin in cities in the same way that foxes are vermin in the countryside.

I read a study by the royal college of veterinary surgeons that said that killing foxes with hounds is the most humane way to go about it, but these 'hunt saboteurs', who go around with their faces covered and carrying big sticks but insist they are not there to provoke others, think they know better.

I also find it funny how they focus on fox hunting as an example of cruelty to animals, but not the dozens of other examples, battery farming, halal meat etc.

Basically the only reason they do it is out of some kind of non-existent 'class war', they don't do it out of love of the animals, they are just doing it so they can get at the 'toffs who ride around in red jackets'.
Computerised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Square)
its a totally unenforceable law,
But why? it's so obvious, you got guys in red jackets on big horses chasing loads of dogs around. Surely all the police have to do is drive around in a land rover to look for any wrongdoing?

or is it because a) the police secretly supports it (their dads probs takes part in the hunt) b) nobody tells the police or c) the area of land is too vast and rural to cover and horsemen have the advantage?

Im just curious because I didn't know the rule of law was so weak out in the country. In the city you cant get away with anything lol (tons of CCTV and metropolitan gestapo)
-Floral-
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Computerised)
No comment on my views on foxhunting, all I wasn't to know is if it is illegal why are there thousands of guys on horses with dogs sauntering around the high streets of Britain on their way to hunt foxes? Surely it's obvious lawbreaking? Why aren't the police doing anything?
It's illegal and obviously difficult to control, however I think your claim is abit hysterical and over the top. I have not seen thousands of guys on horses with dogs hunting foxes.
Computerised
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Floral-)
It's illegal and obviously difficult to control, however I think your claim is abit hysterical and over the top. I have not seen thousands of guys on horses with dogs hunting foxes.
Do your eyes span the entire country? No didn't think so. Don't comment if you have nothing useful to say next time.
-Floral-
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do your eyes span the entire country? No didn't think so. Don't comment if you have nothing useful to say next time.
Show me evidence of Thousands of people on horses killing foxes ?
JollyGreenAtheist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Probably because they have more money than the people that oppose it.

Animal rights activists aren't exactly rolling it in, but The Countryside Alliance is made up of upper class Tories and a segment of the aristocracy. They can financially influence authorities.
Computerised
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Floral-)
Show me evidence of Thousands of people on horses killing foxes ?
what I meant is not that there is thousands of people on the horses in a red coat but they got thousasnds of people across the country outside actively supporting the hunt.
-Floral-
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what I meant is not that there is thousands of people on the horses in a red coat but they got thousasnds of people across the country outside actively supporting the hunt.
Fox huntings banned and is illegal
michael321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Square)
I read a study by the royal college of veterinary surgeons that said that killing foxes with hounds is the most humane way to go about it.
Do you have a link? Genuinely interested.
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
But why? it's so obvious, you got guys in red jackets on big horses chasing loads of dogs around. Surely all the police have to do is drive around in a land rover to look for any wrongdoing?

or is it because a) the police secretly supports it (their dads probs takes part in the hunt) b) nobody tells the police or c) the area of land is too vast and rural to cover and horsemen have the advantage?

Im just curious because I didn't know the rule of law was so weak out in the country. In the city you cant get away with anything lol (tons of CCTV and metropolitan gestapo)
The reason that fox hunting is an unenforceable law is that there are a lot of exceptions within the law which allow fox hunting (such as killing a fox to protect game birds or use of terriers) so just to see a hunt wouldn't necessarily make it an illegal one. Also, a lot of hunts also use scent trails which are artificially laid down so they're not illegal. To enforce this law, you're going to need a horse mounted police officer with experience of the type of riding that a hunt does. Not every rider necessarily has this experience and there aren't that many officers of this type to go around, especially in rural areas where police forces are spread over a wider area. That's the practicality behind it but you have the opinions of the rural population too. Most of the rural public either support or are apathetic towards fox hunting so won't report any wrong-doing which makes policing even harder. Also, at the end of the day there are more important things for the police to worry about than the potential of a fox getting killed.
Computerised
Rep:
?
(Original post by hothedgehog)
. Also, at the end of the day there are more important things for the police to worry about than the potential of a fox getting killed.
Hear hear. I am forever arguing with animal rights wackos who want to see police time wasted on a full police investigation and jury trial for every fox/dog accidentally run over etc in this country
michael321
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe it's legal to hunt foxes but shoot them rather than let the hounds kill them, so people dressed for the hunt are not necessarily doing anything illegal. Then there's the fact that hunts take place usually on private estates over large distances which aren't very accessible to cars - hence police would have to walk to the hunt scene to gather any evidence.

It's just a totally unenforceable law. I am opposed to animal cruelty, and I don't support the idea of fox hunting, but nor do I agree with a law which is totally useless and was enacted for all the wrong reasons.
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 8 years ago
Honestly because most people could not give a ****. The area where they hunt is too vast to enforce it at all times and few people will report it.

I would rather the police be doing something useful with their already stretched resources, and stopping fox hunting is not one of them.
goape
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the foxhunters should take an arrow in the knee as punishment.
Square
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by michael321)
Do you have a link? Genuinely interested.
http://www.vet-wildlifemanagement.or...d=30&Itemid=32

supported by over 540 vets from the royal college of veterinary surgeons. Here's the conclusion:

"As members of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons we submit therefore that hunting by hounds is the natural and most humane way of controlling the population of all four quarry species, fox, deer, hare and mink, in the countryside. Humane, since at all times the wild animal remains in its natural environment and the relatively short period of physiological stress that may be suffered in the final phase of the hunt, followed by the almost instantaneous kill must be the preferred method of culling a wild animal. Hunting produces no wounded survivors. Hunting is the only method of culling that selectively maintains the health and vigour of the species and which allows the quarry species respite during the breeding season. Hunting is environmentally friendly to both the quarry species and to other wildlife. It is the natural, balanced, biological method of controlling wildlife, proven over centuries."

Do those who pass judgment on fox hunting really think they know better than these leading vets?
DH-Biker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because the law only bans the use of Dogs as a method to kill the fox. Hunting them down and using Pointers as tracking dogs is still perfectly legal. People still use Dogs too, but that's due more in part to there being little in the way of patrol Officers out in the woods and fields of the UK.

I, personally, don't have a problem with hunting foxes. I don't like them using dogs to kill them, but unless you live out in the Countryside like myself and others on here do, you wont see what a nuisance a Fox can be. Killing livestock being the main issue. They damage the animals farmers need to sell to get money, and that's an issue that must be controlled.

I hunt other game. Deer, Pheasants, Partridge, etc. And whilst I don't hunt Fox, I do support the destruction of them when Farmer's beasts are being killed by them. So, whilst I'd never support dogs tearing them to shreds, I do think that shooting them is justifiable. Trapping and relocating them isn't working, it just moves the problem and trying to ban it just led others into taking matters into their own hands.

As you would do with Minc, you need to exterminate them. Though Minc are a danger to humans, too, whereas Foxes would rarely attack a child, let alone an adult. Deer and incredibly over populated, Pheasants and Partridge are also controlled but Foxes are just a threat to people's ways of life, and therefore must be challenged. Its not humane to shoot an animal, but its a hell of a lot more humane then letting two dogs tear it to pieces.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.09%
I'm not sure (59)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.8%
I'm not a current university student (651)
49.32%

Watched Threads