888jamie888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://trifter.com/caribbean-latin-a...the-falklands/

I was brought up believing that they were British and rightfully ours. But now I have my doubts. The article is pretty neutral but I think the Argies have a pretty strong case.
What do you reckon? Who do they belong to?
-Floral-
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 888jamie888)

I was brought up believing that they were British and rightfully ours. But now I have my doubts. The article is pretty neutral but I think the Argies have a pretty strong case.
The British settled the Falklands before Argentina was even a country, if the Argentinians want the Falklands handed back, they should hand back Argentina to the indigenous South Americans.

They have NO case for ownership of the Falklands
deejayy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Plus the population would rather be under British control.
888jamie888
Rep:
?
Well the author reckons that as we left the islands, them settling first does not matter? Was the re-taking illegal?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

There is no debate, the islands are ours end of.
NS17
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Falklands are rightfully ours, **** the Args. -Floral- wraps it up nicely.
888jamie888
Rep:
?
The Argies certainly think there is a case. Try to think neutrally rather than as a Briton.
amime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well the author reckons that as we left the islands, them settling first does not matter? Was the re-taking illegal?
If I have a holiday home but decide not to live in it, does that give squatters the right to move in?
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What exactly in that article makes you take Argentina's side? Also, the author doesn't reckon anything of the sort; that is one to the most impartial articles about the Falkland's I have ever seen.
ak137
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Argies certainly think there is a case. Try to think neutrally rather than as a Briton.
This is the problem. Many get their nationalism mixed into situations where it is not needed.
888jamie888
Rep:
?
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
What exactly in that article makes you take Argentina's side? Also, the author doesn't reckon anything of the sort; that is one to the most impartial articles about the Falkland's I have ever seen.
I just thought that article was a nice summary.
I watched a few videos on youtube where there were some fierce debates going on.
888jamie888
Rep:
?
(Original post by amime)
If I have a holiday home but decide not to live in it, does that give squatters the right to move in?
I dont think countries quite work like that.
Aramiss18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The families of the soldiers who died in the last Falklands War ares still alive so it's unthinkable to hand them back. Also, the Falklanders have the right to self-determination as supported by the UN- I don't know what Argentina think there is to discuss. Even if downing street wanted to hand them back the Falkanders have their right to self-determination. Argentina are pathetic when it comes to this issue. Unfortunately they tried to take the Islands by force and although the government changed long ago the thoughts and feelings evoked by the war still exist.
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just thought that article was a nice summary.
I watched a few videos on youtube where there were some fierce debates going on.
Right, but I'm interested to know why you have taken Argentina's side. The article even clearly stated that in the 21st century, the right to self-determination ranks pretty highly in solving territory disputes and that all but settles it in Britain's favour.
amime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I dont think countries quite work like that.
Okay... Lets call the squatters 'Iceland' and holiday home 'the Shetland islands'
Iceland suddenly moves into and lays claim to the uninhabited British Shetland islands. Should they have a claim simply because nobody lives on most of the islands?
888jamie888
Rep:
?
(Original post by pol pot noodles)
Right, but I'm interested to know why you have taken Argentina's side. The article even clearly stated that in the 21st century, the right to self-determination ranks pretty highly in solving territory disputes and that all but settles it in Britain's favour.
I would not say I was taking their side, merely I've realised that they were once theirs. The Spanish actually settled there before us which many people dont realise.
Lewis :D
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would not say I was taking their side, merely I've realised that they were once theirs. The Spanish actually settled there before us which many people dont realise.
The Welsh settled on the Chubut Valley (Argentinian province) and irrigated the area first. I don't see the United Kingdom government making a fuss.
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aramiss18)
The families of the soldiers who died in the last Falklands War ares still alive so it's unthinkable to hand them back. Also, the Falklanders have the right to self-determination as supported by the UN- I don't know what Argentina think there is to discuss. Even if downing street wanted to hand them back the Falkanders have their right to self-determination. Argentina are pathetic when it comes to this issue. Unfortunately they tried to take the Islands by force and although the government changed long ago the thoughts and feelings evoked by the war still exist.
The UN isn't completely behind the UK's claim. They consider it a "non self governing territory". So apparently, while they generally support self-determination, they don't consider choosing to remain a British territory an acceptable choice.
pol pot noodles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It wasn't really ever theirs. The colony they claim was theirs was a nuetral whaling colony that just so happened to be governed by an Argentine citizen. He infact had the permission of the British consulate in Argentina to set up the colony, so Britain has more claim to that colony than Argentina does. Plus, even though Spain settled the islands before the UK, Britain claimed it before Spain, so swings and roundabouts.
Luffy.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What country have a stronger military and a better media? Its theirs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things โ€“ I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads