Saif95
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I wrote an answer to a 12 mark question on Privation, I don't know if I've done it right, how is it and how many marks would I get for it?

Outline and evalutate/discuss research into the effects of privation.
Privation is the failure to form an attachment, this may be due to extremely poor parenting or prolonged stays away from a potential attachment figure e.g. in a hospital. One famous study on extreme privation is the case study of Genie; Genie was locked in a room by her father until she was 13 1/2 years old; she never fully recovered and lacked social responsiveness. Her lack of recovery may be due to the fact that she was found beyond the sensitive period or because of the physical deprivation she experienced. Another well known case study on privation is the czech twins; the czech twins spent the first 7 years of their life locked up by their stepmother and they were unable to talk. After the age of 7 they were then cared for by two sisters and by the age of 14 they were socially and intellectually stable and had no problems with relationships and intelligence. (AO1)

The two studies both demonstrate privation, however, they both differ in terms of recovery from the privation. The negative effects of privation were more easily reversed with the czech twins than genie; this could have been due to the fact they went to a stable loving home which gave them sufficient emotional care. They were also younger when discovered, this may also contribute to the ease of recovery. The czech twins were together; this means they could recover better socially as they were not alone unlike Genie. Genie could have possibly been born with learning difficulties which hindered recovery. It is thought that individuals who do not form an attachment within the sensitive perioid are unable to recover however it was found that this may not be the case for all children who experience privation. In the study of romanian orphans, 1/3 recovered well, therefore it seems that privation alone cannot explain the negative outcomes. The case studies however are based on retrospective evidence and therefore may not be representative so caution must be excercised. (AO2)
Saif95
Rep:
?
76 views?
nicole.94
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have highlighted where the AO1 and AO2 marks are.

Outline and evalutate/discuss research into the effects of privation.
Privation is the failure to form an attachment, this may be due to extremely poor parenting or prolonged stays away from a potential attachment figure e.g. in a hospital. One famous study on extreme privation is the case study of Genie; Genie was locked in a room by her father until she was 13 1/2 years old; she never fully recovered and lacked social responsiveness. Her lack of recovery may be due to the fact that she was found beyond the sensitive period or because of the physical deprivation she experienced. Another well known case study on privation is the czech twins; the czech twins spent the first 7 years of their life locked up by their stepmother and they were unable to talk. After the age of 7 they were then cared for by two sisters and by the age of 14 they were socially and intellectually stable and had no problems with relationships and intelligence. (AO1)

The two studies both demonstrate privation, however, they both differ in terms of recovery from the privation. The negative effects of privation were more easily reversed with the czech twins than genie; this could have been due to the fact they went to a stable loving home which gave them sufficient emotional care. They were also younger when discovered, this may also contribute to the ease of recovery. The czech twins were together; this means they could recover better socially as they were not alone unlike Genie. Genie could have possibly been born with learning difficulties which hindered recovery. It is thought that individuals who do not form an attachment within the sensitive perioid are unable to recover however it was found that this may not be the case for all children who experience privation. In the study of romanian orphans, 1/3 recovered well, therefore it seems that privation alone cannot explain the negative outcomes. The case studies however are based on retrospective evidence and therefore may not be representative so caution must be excercised. (AO2)

There are 5 AO1 marks and 6 AO2 marks here, giving you 11/12 which is easily an A. Be careful when talking about how hospitalisation can result in privation, it is more closely linked to disruption/deprivation of attachment (Robertson & Robertson).
Saif95
Rep:
?
(Original post by nicole.94)

There are 5 AO1 marks and 6 AO2 marks here, giving you 11/12 which is easily an A. Be careful when talking about how hospitalisation can result in privation, it is more closely linked to disruption/deprivation of attachment (Robertson & Robertson).
Ah, thanks for that.
Can you do my other one please? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post35512401

Thanks
nusaybah1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your answer to the twelfth mark question really helped me out thanks
sickitslucy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nicole.94)

For 12 mark essays, assuming you study AQA B psychology, you can get a maximum of 4 AO1 marks and 8 AO2 marks.
member1771203
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got 3/12 for this exact answer... peak times
Pinkberry_y
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I were you, for the evaluation clearly structure your answer into point, evidence (study) and then comment. Your A01 is fine, but your A02 in my opinion is slightly unclear and you've used key terms eg retrospective data but haven't gone into a great deal of detail as to WHY that's a problem for privation. Basically in order to get us to elaborate well my teacher always tells us whatever you write, if after you read it you think so what does this mean then? Then it means you need to elaborate more. I hope that made sense, but just clearly structure your A02.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MathsGirl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a psychology teacher I probably would not score as highly as another member has.

I would say you have probably gained 4/6 for descriptions as for the top marks there needs to be fewer inaccuracies and using hospitalisation would be considered an inaccuracy- quite a big one. However, writing about Genie and Czech twins I would expect a little more detail.

Your evaluation is ok but again I would expect more from my students. You have linked areas well, eg the age of the Czech twins when they were found but id go even further and link this to attachment theory and maternal deprivation.

You could suggest that as they were together, they would have formed attachments to each other and perhaps this research is not looking at privation at all?

You could use Genie to say that maybe some of the negative effects of privation are reversible as she did learn to read, talk and show emotion but not to a degree that allows her to function as competent individual.

You could also evaluate the use of case studies using GRAVE

Generalisability- individual cases cant be generalised as they are unique and unlikely to find situations similar to test against.

Reliability- Case studies use interview, observations and gather quantitative data. If this was to be done again by someone else, the results may not be the same as it would be down to interpretation. Eg, Genie recovered in some ways (positive outcome) whereas other may say she never fully recovered so the effects of privation are irreversible (negative outcome)

Application- Research into privation helps us to understand what a child needs and helps parents to avoid doing things that are going to cause negative effects on development.

validity- It has ecological validity as they are looking at real children in the situations in which they have grown up. However, this is not the environment of the majority and there are a lot of tests and experiments so could be seen to lack validity.

Ethics- Genie was subjected to tests on a regular basis to a point it was unclear what they were testing- her memory or her ability to perform a particular task. She was also pushed between carers and at one point went backwards in her development.

It is also important to note that PRIVATION is failure to form an attachment. If you are doing AQA-A this falls under 2 categories. Isolated children (Genie and Czech twins) or institutional care (Rutter, Freud and Dann, Hodges and Tizzard). It is often easier to write about Institutional care for privation than Isolated children due to the uniqueness of isolated children. Institutional care you can discuss and easily link to Bowlby.

As mentioned by someone else, Hospitalisation would be a form of deprivation (or disruption to attachment) and in this essay would gain you no marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads