The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm wasting time at uni, but scared to quit!

I'm in second year of Psychology. I was going to drop out after the first year but I passed with quite a good mark so decided to go back. I enjoy uni because I've made loads of friends and actually like going to lectures but I can't help feeling that it's not the right thing for me. I really want to work with children and want to do so many things like travelling and working abroad and feel like I'm wasting time in uni, and also I don't need a degree to do the job I want to do! I feel like if I'd just done an NVQ in Childcare when I left 6th form I could be where I wanted to be by now, and be qualified to do the job I want to do but instead I've got another year and a half of university.

I know it will probably be worth it in the end but I find it SO hard, I'm at the end of my wicks end doing work and just scraping 2.1/2.2s in most of my assignments.
And I know that if I left now I would lose so many friends that I've made and miss out on a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't get.

Part of me wishes I'd left after first year, then I wouldn't have made friends with people this year and wouldn't be halfway through my course now. Maybe it's because I'm in limbo year and just feel like it's dragging. I love uni but want my course to be over and done with so that I can do what I really want to do! Anyone else feel like this?
Reply 1
Personally, I feel that by by completing your degree course the world will be your oyster - you'll then have the option to complete your NVQ in Childcare OR see what else is out there. As for travelling abroad, you can do that whilst you're still doing your degree (maybe in the summer holidays) or you can take a well earned break from education after it :smile:. Because you sound unsure about what you want to do, perhaps it's better to wait until you've got your degree so you can consider all of those options freely without any draw backs.
Reply 2
Original post by BabyGirl92
I'm in second year of Psychology. I was going to drop out after the first year but I passed with quite a good mark so decided to go back. I enjoy uni because I've made loads of friends and actually like going to lectures but I can't help feeling that it's not the right thing for me. I really want to work with children and want to do so many things like travelling and working abroad and feel like I'm wasting time in uni, and also I don't need a degree to do the job I want to do! I feel like if I'd just done an NVQ in Childcare when I left 6th form I could be where I wanted to be by now, and be qualified to do the job I want to do but instead I've got another year and a half of university.

I did that. Huge mistake. I thought I'd enjoy working with children (actually I still do) but I was so not prepared for all the other work it involved as well as being quite low paid by the end of it. I wish I'd done A levels then a degree instead of wasting two years in childcare.

If you're happy at uni and enjoy your course I'd recommend sticking with it. Psychology links in well with childcare so you'll probably be able to find a job working with children anyway and with a degree you'll be able to earn more too and if you find childcare is not what you expected you have your degree to fall back on.:smile:
You may as well stick it out, if you go into childcare and decide you would like to change proffessions than at least you have a degree to improve employability. Just out of curiosity where are you studying? Is there anything about your university thats putting you off staying there?
Reply 4
Original post by BabyGirl92

I know it will probably be worth it in the end but I find it SO hard, I'm at the end of my wicks end doing work and just scraping 2.1/2.2s in most of my assignments.
And I know that if I left now I would lose so many friends that I've made and miss out on a lot of opportunities that I wouldn't get.

Part of me wishes I'd left after first year, then I wouldn't have made friends with people this year and wouldn't be halfway through my course now. Maybe it's because I'm in limbo year and just feel like it's dragging. I love uni but want my course to be over and done with so that I can do what I really want to do! Anyone else feel like this?

The expression is "I'm at my wit's end" not "I'm at the end of my wicks end" - Interesting eggcorn though.
Reply 5
Original post by meloncoly
The expression is "I'm at my wit's end" not "I'm at the end of my wicks end" - Interesting eggcorn though.

Lol I was tired when I wrote it!
I would complete the degree personally then at least you have achieved your degree and will always have it. May aswell make the most of it as the fees have gone up.
If you get a degree in psychology you've got a lot of options as far as working with children goes. I'd personally stick it out til the end of the year and see how you feel. You've got time to travel etc after :smile:
Reply 8
You can intermit a year after your second year to work, if you really want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending