The Student Room Group

How do universities view distant learning courses?

im slightly concerned if universities might reject my application if they see i've gained my qualifications via Distant learning courses? i really want to get in to a russell group university and i've taken 3 A levels privately (Chemistry Biology & Maths) and did my GCSES at school (left with 6 A grades) i decided against college/sixth form and now im doing distant learning. will universities accept my application as if i gained my A Levels at a normal sixth form college? i hope to get into dentistry btw :smile:
I would have a short sentence in my personal statement about it or get any reference to mention it. I don't think it will go against you. It will show that you're determined to learn and want to go to university so I think it won't be a disadvantage. As long as you have good grades, a good personal statement and good reference, then why would they reject you?
I agree with the post above.
Reply 3
Original post by toronto353
I would have a short sentence in my personal statement about it or get any reference to mention it. I don't think it will go against you. It will show that you're determined to learn and want to go to university so I think it won't be a disadvantage. As long as you have good grades, a good personal statement and good reference, then why would they reject you?

i hope to get AAA in my A levels and do some work experience in a dentist to enhance my application for next year. the reason why i thought they might reject me is because dentistry is competitive and other students have gained their A Levels from school whilst i've so support myself and learn from my tutor from time to time. i still have doubts they may not look at my application the same way a student from a normal school has :frown:
Original post by Sapphire33
i hope to get AAA in my A levels and do some work experience in a dentist to enhance my application for next year. the reason why i thought they might reject me is because dentistry is competitive and other students have gained their A Levels from school whilst i've so support myself and learn from my tutor from time to time. i still have doubts they may not look at my application the same way a student from a normal school has :frown:

As long as it's in before the deadline, then they will have to give it equal consideration. The fact is that you've made a conscious decision to return to education whereas others have gone straight through. While both show commitment and dedication, your circumstance shows an extra determination to study and to get on the career path that you want to be on. As long as you have a great application, then there is no sense in rejecting you.

Also, bear in mind that TSR has a great amount of resources that can help strengthen your application. We have a PS Help team who will review your statement and help you to improve it and we have a wiki with a large amount of information along with subfora dedicated to dentistry and many universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by toronto353
As long as it's in before the deadline, then they will have to give it equal consideration. The fact is that you've made a conscious decision to return to education whereas others have gone straight through. While both show commitment and dedication, your circumstance shows an extra determination to study and to get on the career path that you want to be on. As long as you have a great application, then there is no sense in rejecting you.

Also, bear in mind that TSR has a great amount of resources that can help strengthen your application. We have a PS Help team who will review your statement and help you to improve it and we have a wiki with a large amount of information along with subfora dedicated to dentistry and many universities.

thank you so much for your help, i'll update you on what the admission tutors say! :smile:
Original post by Sapphire33
thank you so much for your help, i'll update you on what the admission tutors say! :smile:

Thank you. That may also help us to expand our resources to help others in similar situations and feel free to come and help us out on the PS Help team once you're at university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending