Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think the reason so many people don't believe in god on here is because it's an intelligent forum

ReputationRep:
    Quick question to all the people who voted for agnostic...

Were you brought up to believe in God?

Thanks,

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innitman_uk)
    I think that every generation tends to be more atheist than the one before. If this trend continues, then I'd expect this poll to show loads more atheists/agnostics than what you'd expect from your day to day experience (as we're younger than the average person).

Is this basically because science can explain so much more?
    Yeah, for me that fits! I was brought up somewhat religious, but I just didn´t find the answers in church very satisfying. I agree, religion (or at least the christian religion) is dying out in our countries, which is maybe not good.
    But on the rest of the world, I think the religion is stronger because it is much more linked to the culture. Ever since our cuture has moved away from religion we don´t need the religion any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innitman_uk)
    I think that every generation tends to be more atheist than the one before. If this trend continues, then I'd expect this poll to show loads more atheists/agnostics than what you'd expect from your day to day experience (as we're younger than the average person).

Is this basically because science can explain so much more?
    I am a proud & happy AGNOSTIC.

The belief in God is outdated for the following reasons:

1. The theorized God by nature is actually cruel, spoiled, selfish & childish, rather then being good & loving. And thus his personality contradicts his supposed attributes.

2. There are no evidences that such a being exists. Our existence could be the result of anything with or without intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben2111)
    But on the rest of the world, I think the religion is stronger because it is much more linked to the culture. Ever since our cuture has moved away from religion we don´t need the religion any more.
    One particular religion is stronger on the minds of people because of the very tight draconian leash tied around their necks. That rejection of the religion would mostly result in either death or abandonment. SLAM!

ReputationRep:
    YES. if 'God' really existed don't you think that he would have made us a little less bloodthirsty, and more peaceful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    The idea of God as an angry Jewish war god causing mischief (Old Testament) but slightly mellowing with age (New Testament) is dead. An exoteric interpretation of God – i.e. God as an external being – is no longer sustainable. However, the alternative interpretation of God – i.e. God as an inner part of who we are – is sustainable. This is an ancient understanding of ‘God’ and is still retained in Buddhism, the only esoteric ancient religious system that still exists as a worldwide religion.

God thus can be saved but only by reverting to a psychological interpretation of God as an inner reality shared on a collective unconscious level.

Therefore, I can neither classify myself as agnostic, theist, or atheist.

I'm not an atheist as I see much power and potential in the concept of God, that the archetype is a living reality.

I'm not a theist because I view God as an internal living reality ("the kingdom is within" etc etc), but do not believe in an external being.

And I'm not agnostic, because I do know.

I'm a gnostic - one who tries to know that which is unseen, that which is in our unconscious.
    So God is inside you? Does that put him under your control?

ReputationRep:
    course not we are all just a lucky fluke in the ways of the universe and to make him or her feel important some one said a big guy who made everything spoke to them, the idea caught on.

ReputationRep:
    im gald to see that your poll doesnt actually show what you though it would...and that basically its all pritty even.

science and god go hand in hand if you want them to. you can make science and maths show what ever you want if you manipulate the right equation.

i belive in god..and i bet that if someone you knew was luing in a hospital bed a lot of you would pray even thou you say you dont belive in god.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)

science and god go hand in hand if you want them to. you can make science and maths show what ever you want if you manipulate the right equation.
    the thing about maths is you cant manipulate equations --> 1+1=2 for everyone regardless of their views on stuff, upbringing etc. mathy knowledge is one thing we can be sure about.

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    i belive in god..and i bet that if someone you knew was luing in a hospital bed a lot of you would pray even thou you say you dont belive in god.
    id hope they get better but i dont think id pray. i think i see what u mean tho - ur saying that if in doubt, believe in God cos that way u only win dont lose

ReputationRep:
    Reading what some of you people have wrote is a shame and disgrace!!! Have none of you heard of a Bible?! It will tell you everything in which you need to know!!! Read John 3 verse 16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosover believeth in Him should not perish but have Eternal Life!" Even from that one verse you can know that God is real!!!! Read Genesis 1 "In the Begining God created the Heavens and Earth!" that again tells you that the whole "Big Bang" is not true!!!!

I really think people need to read the Bible which will give them the answers to all their questions!!!!

Does no one know that the world will soon end and those who are not saved will be lost in hell forever!!!!

I think all those who don't believe in God should go and read the Bible or even just ponder over that verse in John 3 verse 16!!!!!!!!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.