The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Prosthetics and Orthotics 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just moved in to my flat. Joe told me that there was no reading list as the books are mainly for people with existing knowledge of prosthetics and orthotics
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 21
Hey.. just wondering if anyone else is hoping to study p&o this sep 2013?
Kirsty
Reply 22
Original post by kfrasie25
Hey.. just wondering if anyone else is hoping to study p&o this sep 2013?
Kirsty

I am :smile:
Reply 23
Have u had an offer yet?
Reply 24
Hi Kirsty - yes, I have a conditional offer. The conditions of my offer were that I go for an interview, sit a maths test and visit a Disablement Service Centre. I have been for the interview and done the maths test and am in the process of setting up a visit to a local centre. There are no conditions relating to exam results because I am a mature student.

I don't know if you have been to visit yet, but the facilities are great and the staff (particularly Joe the admissions tutor) are very friendly and helpful.

Have you got an offer too?
:smile:
Reply 25
Hey guys i'm looking at doing this course in 2014 and was just wondering what kinda grades you guys got in with ?
Reply 26
Hey guys i'm looking at doing this course in 2014 and was just wondering what kinda grades you guys got ?
Reply 27

Original post by GRennerz20
Hey guys i'm looking at doing this course in 2014 and was just wondering what kinda grades you guys got in with ?

Hi!
Its a great course to be on. Entry requirements may have changed by the time you come to apply but they are currently ABB for A-level. Some of us got in through clearing if we didn't get the required grades but it all depends on how many people apply for the course as to whether that will happen. There are only around 30 places on the course so if lots of people apply and get the grades then clearance is not an option. This is all from Salford by the way, I don't know what happens with Strathclyde.
Reply 28
Original post by GRennerz20
Hey guys i'm looking at doing this course in 2014 and was just wondering what kinda grades you guys got ?

I can't really help you I'm afraid. I am a mature student and already had a degree/masters when I applied and they seemed to be quite happy with that level of academic achievement. My maths was a bit lacking though which was why I had to sit the maths test. I now have an unconditional place and will be starting in September 2013.

I guess you need to take as your guide what it says on the website or in the prospectus. I don't know how rigid they are.

Sorry I can't help.
Reply 29
I know that Salford had about 130 applications for 30 places this year, seems to be quite competitive. I don't know about Strathclyde.
Reply 30
Anyone doing Prosthetics and Orthotics 2013?
Hi! Sorry to butt in but I'm hoping to study P & O starting September 2014 and I was wondering if you could give me some advice? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be asking in, or if I ask something really obvious, but I figured if you have experience in the whole applying process and the course itself you may be able to give me a little help...?

I'm basically kinda worried about when to apply. My school held a meeting today for everyone doing courses requiring early entry, and although the pages for Salford/Strathclyde didn't explicitly say that early entry was required, they didn't say it wasn't either and it's got me a little worried :s-smilie: plus the meeting wasn't exactly positive and I'm now really scared my exam results from this year are going to bar me from going and

(please don't laugh but I really, really want to study this)

I'm also not sure if I'm doing the right kind of subjects for the course - I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German for AS but I'll be dropping Further Maths at the end of this month. I reckon I can get my grades for my other subjects up to the requirement grades next year, BUT I'm not sure if they're the right kinds of subjects. I did consider dropping German and carrying on Further Maths, but German relaxes me whilst Further Maths is my biggest source of stress, plus I doubt I can get above a low B in Further Maths (I've been working on it in any spare moment I have and I've come to face that no amount of work will get it up to an A) whilst German I'm confident I can manage.

Lastly, I'm going to apply to both Salford and Strathclyde, but also considering that if I get rejected I could take a gap year, get a job, do a ton of work experience and come back next year with a stronger application. Is this a good idea? My teachers don't totally support gap years as far as I know and I haven't put this past them because they want me to do Physics but I'd just prefer to do prosthetics and orthotics so, so much and it's stressing me out a little :redface:

one last thing (I'm so sorry) do you have any recommendations on things to read pertaining to this course? I saw a few pages back that there wasn't a reading list for undergraduates but my school is asking for me to read 10-12 books over the summer and I honestly don't know where to start with Prosthetics and Orthotics...

Sorry to post so much, I hope you can help! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Herbadacious
Hi! Sorry to butt in but I'm hoping to study P & O starting September 2014 and I was wondering if you could give me some advice? Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be asking in, or if I ask something really obvious, but I figured if you have experience in the whole applying process and the course itself you may be able to give me a little help...?

I'm basically kinda worried about when to apply. My school held a meeting today for everyone doing courses requiring early entry, and although the pages for Salford/Strathclyde didn't explicitly say that early entry was required, they didn't say it wasn't either and it's got me a little worried :s-smilie: plus the meeting wasn't exactly positive and I'm now really scared my exam results from this year are going to bar me from going and

(please don't laugh but I really, really want to study this)

I'm also not sure if I'm doing the right kind of subjects for the course - I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German for AS but I'll be dropping Further Maths at the end of this month. I reckon I can get my grades for my other subjects up to the requirement grades next year, BUT I'm not sure if they're the right kinds of subjects. I did consider dropping German and carrying on Further Maths, but German relaxes me whilst Further Maths is my biggest source of stress, plus I doubt I can get above a low B in Further Maths (I've been working on it in any spare moment I have and I've come to face that no amount of work will get it up to an A) whilst German I'm confident I can manage.

Lastly, I'm going to apply to both Salford and Strathclyde, but also considering that if I get rejected I could take a gap year, get a job, do a ton of work experience and come back next year with a stronger application. Is this a good idea? My teachers don't totally support gap years as far as I know and I haven't put this past them because they want me to do Physics but I'd just prefer to do prosthetics and orthotics so, so much and it's stressing me out a little :redface:

one last thing (I'm so sorry) do you have any recommendations on things to read pertaining to this course? I saw a few pages back that there wasn't a reading list for undergraduates but my school is asking for me to read 10-12 books over the summer and I honestly don't know where to start with Prosthetics and Orthotics...

Sorry to post so much, I hope you can help! :smile:

Hello, I was told by the admissions tutor (at Salford) that they always advise students to apply as early as possible because they have normally (and like to have) made all of their offers by the end of January. Subjects you are doing look about right (maths and physics) - but presumably you have looked at the entry requirements on the appropriate websites? You could always contact the admissions tutor at Salford for advice, very friendly and helpful chap. (Don't know about Strathclyde). One of the conditions of entry is that you have to visit a disablement service centre (so that you have first hand experience of what is involved and to make sure it is what you really want to do). Presumably if you have other relevant experience this wouldn't be necessary, although I'm not sure. As regards to what books to read, I would just read around the subject as much as you can, be aware of current developments etc. - loads of useful stuff online. I'm starting in September and am reading maths and physics books because that is an area I need to concentrate on. Hope this helps. Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Pipsqueak8
Hello, I was told by the admissions tutor (at Salford) that they always advise students to apply as early as possible because they have normally (and like to have) made all of their offers by the end of January. Subjects you are doing look about right (maths and physics) - but presumably you have looked at the entry requirements on the appropriate websites? You could always contact the admissions tutor at Salford for advice, very friendly and helpful chap. (Don't know about Strathclyde). One of the conditions of entry is that you have to have visited a disablement service centre (so that you have first hand experience of what is involved and to make sure it is what you really want to do). Presumably if you have other relevant experience this wouldn't be necessary, although I'm not sure. As regards to what books to read, I would just read around the subject as much as you can, be aware of current developments etc. - loads of useful stuff online. I'm starting in September and am reading maths and physics books because that is an area I need to concentrate on. Hope this helps. Good luck :smile:

That does help, thank you! Early entry it is then. I'm planning on getting some experience done over the holidays so I'll try to focus on the right areas to comply with the entry requirements. I'm pretty sure I've been looking in the right places (course pages on the specific uni websites, plus the ucas course pages) but I've probably gone wrong somewhere on the line, I'll keep researching the bits I'm not sure about. Thank you, and good luck for September! :smile:
Reply 34
http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/prosthetics-and-orthotics Was going to post link to Strathclyde entrance requirements, but they are downloaded as a PDF file so not sure link would work. Entrance requirements for both courses are pretty similar, although Strathclyde asks for science too which Salford does not. I am sure you are looking in the right areas. You could always send off for a prospectus too, or maybe your college/school has those in the careers library?
(edited 10 years ago)
http://www.salford.ac.uk/ug-courses/prosthetics-and-orthotics Was going to post link to Strathclyde entrance requirements, but they are downloaded as a PDF file so not sure link would work. Entrance requirements for both courses are pretty similar, although Strathclyde asks for science too which Salford does not. I am sure you are looking in the right areas. You could always send off for a prospectus too, or maybe your college/school has those in the careers library?

Yeah, that's what I found before. I tend to worry a little too much about details for stuff like this. I'm going to the open day for Salford next Saturday so I'll look for a prospectus there, and hopefully talk to someone and clear up all the little details. Strathclyde is looking increasingly unlikely as an option, but I'll take a look at the entry requirements again.
Reply 36
Original post by Herbadacious
Yeah, that's what I found before. I tend to worry a little too much about details for stuff like this. I'm going to the open day for Salford next Saturday so I'll look for a prospectus there, and hopefully talk to someone and clear up all the little details. Strathclyde is looking increasingly unlikely as an option, but I'll take a look at the entry requirements again.

You might as well apply to both places, unless of course you want to save £11 (?) on your UCAS application. I'm not sure what the difference between the two courses is and/or whether one course is considered (by the profession) to better than the other. At the end of the day, I think a good student who works hard will do well no matter where they study.
You might as well apply to both places, unless of course you want to save £11 (?) on your UCAS application. I'm not sure what the difference between the two courses is and/or whether one course is considered (by the profession) to better than the other. At the end of the day, I think a good student who works hard will do well no matter where they study.

I'll do that. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 38
Hi guys, I will be a second year student when the 2013/2014 year starts. So if you guys have any questions about the course 2013 or 2014 or in general, seeing as I have nothing to do over the summer I will happily answer some questions :smile:

Email me at [email protected]. Hope you see some of you next year!

Also i got in with BBBC for 2012 into salford and was given an offer from strathclyde as well (even though the grade boundaries are ABB). But I had some experience to back me up.
Reply 39
Original post by gacoles2
Hi guys, I will be a second year student when the 2013/2014 year starts. So if you guys have any questions about the course 2013 or 2014 or in general, seeing as I have nothing to do over the summer I will happily answer some questions :smile:

Email me at [email protected]. Hope you see some of you next year!

Also i got in with BBBC for 2012 into salford and was given an offer from strathclyde as well (even though the grade boundaries are ABB). But I had some experience to back me up.

How are you finding the course?

Quick Reply