Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Prosthetics and Orthotics 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by DLau88
Omg saying you have done lots of voluntary work makes me worried. I am a mature student to (21). Prosthetics is the only thing am interested in doing, if i don't get in i have no idea what to do with my life :frown: pretty much putting all my eggs in one basket here!

The problem with the classification of mature students is that it covers everything from age 21 upwards. Perhaps I should have said that I was/am a VERY mature student (53)! That's why I have done many different things. There are plenty of volunteering opportunities around, working for the British Red Cross as a Mobility Aids Volunteer is a good (and relevant) one. You can also do residential volunteering (instead of taking a holiday?!), Google Vitalise, they are a good one. You don't have to give up a lot of time, even helping an elderly neighbour is good.

I would say though, that it is always better to do these things because you want to help, rather than doing them just because you think they will look good on your CV. Not everyone on my course has done voluntary work, it's not essential - just a nice to have and something that might help to make you stand out from other applicants. If you want something badly enough, you will find a way of doing it :smile:
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by Pippycat
The problem with the classification of mature students is that it covers everything from age 21 upwards. Perhaps I should have said that I was/am a VERY mature student (53)! That's why I have done many different things. There are plenty of volunteering opportunities around, working for the British Red Cross as a Mobility Aids Volunteer is a good (and relevant) one. You can also do residential volunteering (instead of taking a holiday?!), Google Vitalise, they are a good one. You don't have to give up a lot of time, even helping an elderly neighbour is good.

I would say though, that it is always better to do these things because you want to help, rather than doing them just because you think they will look good on your CV. Not everyone on my course has done voluntary work, it's not essential - just a nice to have and something that might help to make you stand out from other applicants. If you want something badly enough, you will find a way of doing it :smile:

Yes, if i was to do voluntary work it would have to be something i genuinely care about and not do it for the selfish purpose of making my cv look better which i believe is what many students do now :frown: thanks for the advice i will have a look into it :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Pipsqueak8
Hi Kirsty - yes, I have a conditional offer. The conditions of my offer were that I go for an interview, sit a maths test and visit a Disablement Service Centre. I have been for the interview and done the maths test and am in the process of setting up a visit to a local centre. There are no conditions relating to exam results because I am a mature student.

I don't know if you have been to visit yet, but the facilities are great and the staff (particularly Joe the admissions tutor) are very friendly and helpful.

Have you got an offer too?
:smile:

How was the maths test?
Hi
I'm also a mature student, I've been offered a conditional place for September, just wondering when we get a list of books to buy, or if any current student can tell me which books we will need to buy as I want to start looking for cheap or second hand books asap. thanks :smile:
Reply 64
Glad i came across the thread, it has been helpful.
I am a mature student hoping to apply next year. I will be leaving the army to do so and wamt to do the most i can in over the next year to give me the best chance on being accpeted.
What qualifications/work experience cam anyone recommend?
It will be strathclyde i am applying to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending