The Student Room Group

Returning student + Student finance

I'm currently in my 3rd year of university on a 4 year course and have just tried to apply for student finance next year, however I changed my circumstances instead of my Dads and now the course I am on has changed from Law and Psychology to null and the tuition fees have suddenly gone up to 9000 instead of the ~3500 theyre meant to be!

I tried to change it back online but it won't let me so I rang them up (twice) and they said i need to fill in the paper application form which I can download online, I checked the SFE website and it wasn't there so after a few google searches I found they don't keep the paper format online anymore, so I rang them again and they gave me the link to it however it's the 2011/2012 form instead of 2012/2013 and I can't find the 2012/2013 one now!

Is there anything anyone can do to help me?

Reply 2
Theres no paper copy to download on that link, only the option of applying online....
Reply 3
I'm sorry I didn't actually open the link of Forms and Guides 2012/2013.
In effect the website states "New and continuing full-time students should apply online for loans, grants and bursaries. If you can't apply online, please contact Student Finance England." which is, of course, not very helpful as you have already called them up more than once.
I suspect the call centre worker didn't really understand that you were trying to sort out a mistake and not (re-)applying. If I were you I would write them a letter stating all the facts and asking them to sort out the paperwork. I would probably get my father to sign the letter too so SLC can see that all the facts and the request for change is agreeable to both of us.
Reply 4
Like many I have two years of previous study. (after my college stopped running the final year!)

Just looked at my finance application and it is saying 0 tuition full maintenance.

I contacted student finance before applying for my course who confirmed what many have said about finance-> years studying + 1 so in most cases 3+1. (4)

ok so far.

my question is this.......

As I am applying for a degree with a foundation year and a topup to masters (mSci) so 5 years in total. Is the formula still years plus one- in this case 6 ???

or is it based on the standard 3+1 ?
Reply 5
It is new course length plus 1 minus previous study. Just make sure sf will accept your course as combined.

However, I'm not sure if you're aware but you will be financed from the last year" meaning if sf accept you're on a 5 year course and will be financed for 4 years of that course (as you have 2 years previous study)then you will get a maintenance loan only in your first year and full funding for subsequent years.

Excuse my typing, I'm on my iPad at the mo.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending