The Student Room Group

What's the best online social network for gays (preferably students) in the UK?

I'm feeling lonely and want to meet other gay students. I looked on Gaydar and Fitlads, but both of those are like very sexual.

1) What sites are the most popular for gays?
2) What sites are the most popular for "normal" gays?

Let me know please, otherwise I'm gonna go nuts.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're going to go 'Nuts'? :lolwut:
Reply 2
how do you differentiate between 'gay' and 'normal gay'??
Reply 3
Original post by lowe28
how do you differentiate between 'gay' and 'normal gay'??

I meant gays who want to meet like-minded people and get to know them first and not just want a one night stand.
Reply 4
Go to a gay bar? It's probably a lot better/safer way of meeting people rather than online with someone you've never met.
Reply 5
Original post by Kiss
Go to a gay bar? It's probably a lot better/safer way of meeting people rather than online with someone you've never met.

I don't want to go on my own, and before you say find someone else, I have no one else to go with. I don't think the sort of people I'm looking for go to gay bars anyway.
Original post by Usar
What's the best online social network for gays (preferably students) in the UK?

Facebook. It's also the best online social network for hetros as well.
Reply 7
Probably thestudentroom.co.uk
Reply 8
Original post by Snagprophet
Facebook. It's also the best online social network for hetros as well.
But I can't really add people just because they're gay, and my friends would find out!!

Someone list some sites! I just signed up on Fitlads and got a message from some guy within a mile "looking for a nice **** to ****". !!!
Original post by Usar
But I can't really add people just because they're gay, and my friends would find out!!

Someone list some sites! I just signed up on Fitlads and got a message from some guy within a mile "looking for a nice **** to ****". !!!

Big ones like Match.com and eHarmony have options for man seeking man, those would probably be your best bet.
Reply 10
Theres an app called Grindr I've heard which is for gay people
Original post by Usar

OMG secret gay :h:
Reply 12
1. Come out
2. Use Facebook

I realise that, as a gay person who hasn't come out, it's harder for you to find 'like-minded' people but I'd encourage you to use the same social networking methods as heterosexual people. I don't see why having a site specifically for gay people but without being too sexual is necessary/would actually exist.

Sorry if this has come across as rude, I'm not trying to be offensive or put you down but I just think sites dedicated to homosexual social networking may be predominantly sexual and, as you've said, you don't want that. :smile:
Reply 13

Original post by Usar
I'm feeling lonely and want to meet other gay students. I looked on Gaydar and Fitlads, but both of those are like very sexual.

1) What sites are the most popular for gays?
2) What sites are the most popular for "normal" gays?

Let me know please, otherwise I'm gonna go nuts.

adding gay people on fb is not a good idea because your friends may find out eventually... unless u add like one or two then i think it wont give u away :wink:
im in the exact same situation as you... but university starts in september 2012 and then hopefully things will get better :biggrin: *good things come to those who wait*

how far are you in your education? uni is a good time to meet other gay people im hoping :smile:
www.thegyc.com - although it's closed until 2012 at the moment :tongue:

It's supposed to be the UK's biggest gay youth website.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Reply 16
To be honest.... I have made quite a few friends and even associates from TSR to deal with irl. NO joke.

I was quite surprised! :zomg:
Reply 17
thegyc was ok but itseems its died a slow and painful death. tsr gay chat is probs your best bet aha
Reply 18
The grindr suggestion? avoid it!! thats an app purely for hook ups and thats it, definitely not what your looking for!
"Straight up" is a good gay forum site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending