The Student Room Group

Does the grade of the subject dropped at AS hinder my University offers?

Okay so i'm hoping on going to uni after i've finished sixth form, i'm currently doing AS, and i feel that i can achieve A's and B's in my 3 that i'm panning on carrying on which are Geography, History and Psychology. The subject that i feel will drag me down in Philosophy and Ethics which im going to drop.

Now when i'm applying for my uni place will the low grade of the subject i dropped have any affect or hinder my chances of getting a place?

Reply 1
It depends on the competition for places, if the competition is high, they could use that as a reason to pick someone else over you, if it's unrelated then less emphasis would be put on it.

The best advice I can give you is just to stick it out and really put a lot of effort into it.
Reply 2
A lot of it will depend on what subject you wish to apply to and at what unis.
Reply 3
Well it depends.
Some universities will ask you for a specific grade at AS and others won't care. The better the university along with the strength of their Geography course and the more likely it is that they will ask you to get C, B or whatever in your 4th subject.

You need to check which uni you are going to apply to.
Well, I did Art for AS (biggest mistake of my life btw) and got a C. I dropped it and got good A level grades but i thought the C would bring me down, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Like people have said, it depends on what/where you are applying and what the AS was. Philosophy and Ethics is quite an unusual, I haven't heard of it before, so I don't know how unis consider it.

I have 4 uncondtional offers now out of 5 (hurry up st andrews!!) so don't worry about it too much, just focus on your A Levels :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks alot for the replies guys! :smile:
Reply 6
Like everyone else has said kee going get the a level grade a or b if possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending