The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone,

I've firmed Sheffield for my Electrical Engineering course, looking forward to getting there soon! I just have a few general queries regarding accommodation and my course, would greatly appreciate it if anybody could provide any information. :smile:

Okay, so first off, are there any students from the EEE department on this thread? I'd like to ask a few questions about the coursework and what you had in mind when you chose Sheffield! It would be nice to come across certain reasons that I might not have had in mind.

Next, I've applied for accommodation in one of the deluxe rooms at Endcliffe. Seeing that the OP stays in one of these rooms, would it be possible to post a few pictures of your room? I've been looking everywhere for the same, but unfortunately I couldn't come across any pictures except for the ones on the University's website. I did find heaps of pictures of the en-suite accommodation though. Also, is there any specific accommodation you would recommend amongst Cratcliffe, Rivelin, Burbage and Howden? I had been looking on Google Maps the other day and found out that some of the apartments were closer to bus stops whilst some were not. I know this isn't a major obstacle as I'd like to walk to Uni on most days but it's always handy to have a bus stop nearby in case it rains heavily. Could you list out the pros and cons of each of the above mentioned apartments?

Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Cheers. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 481
Original post by SiddlyWiddly
Hey everyone,

I've firmed Sheffield for my Electrical Engineering course, looking forward to getting there soon! I just have a few general queries regarding accommodation and my course, would greatly appreciate it if anybody could provide any information. :smile:

Okay, so first off, are there any students from the EEE department on this thread? I'd like to ask a few questions about the coursework and what you had in mind when you chose Sheffield! It would be nice to come across certain reasons that I might not have had in mind.

Next, I've applied for accommodation in one of the deluxe rooms at Endcliffe. Seeing that the OP stays in one of these rooms, would it be possible to post a few pictures of your room? I've been looking everywhere for the same, but unfortunately I couldn't come across any pictures except for the ones on the University's website. I did find heaps of pictures of the en-suite accommodation though. Also, is there any specific accommodation you would recommend amongst Cratcliffe, Rivelin, Burbage and Howden? I had been looking on Google Maps the other day and found out that some of the apartments were closer to bus stops whilst some were not. I know this isn't a major obstacle as I'd like to walk to Uni on most days but it's always handy to have a bus stop nearby in case it rains heavily. Could you list out the pros and cons of each of the above mentioned apartments?

In terms of busses it is literally a minutes difference between those flats so it is much of a muchness really and also you debt actually get to choose the building, it is decided for you so that is irrelevant anyhow! What I will say though is that Howden is the most central building, right outside The Edge so if you are on the ground floor it can be relatively noisy from outside etc and people can look into your windows when they walk by along the main route into Endcliffe. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by AmiB
In terms of busses it is literally a minutes difference between those flats so it is much of a muchness really and also you debt actually get to choose the building, it is decided for you so that is irrelevant anyhow! What I will say though is that Howden is the most central building, right outside The Edge so if you are on the ground floor it can be relatively noisy from outside etc and people can look into your windows when they walk by along the main route into Endcliffe. Hope this helps :smile:

Oh, haha, on Google Maps it looks quite a bit distant from each other! Yeah I know that, just wanted to inquire and find out which one of the apartments was allegedly the best!

Well being closest to the Edge has its own benefits! Although it might be a bit noisy, getting food and hanging out is so easy for the lazy bums! Thanks a lot for responding, I appreciate it. :smile:

May I also ask which course you're doing?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 483
Oh, haha, on Google Maps it looks quite a bit distant from each other! Yeah I know that, just wanted to inquire and find out which one of the apartments was allegedly the best!

Well being closest to the Edge has its own benefits! Although it might be a bit noisy, getting food and hanging out is so easy for the lazy bums! Thanks a lot for responding, I appreciate it. :smile:

May I also ask which course you're doing?

I do law which I really enjoy, Sheffield is such a brilliant place to live, good luck with getting in :yy:
Original post by AmiB
I do law which I really enjoy, Sheffield is such a brilliant place to live, good luck with getting in :yy:

Ahaha, lot of case studies I suppose? Yeah I've heard lots of good things about it, can't wait to get there! :biggrin:
Thanks, hope your exams go well, all the best!

Reply 485
Hey everyone,

Hi, sorry, yeah, I will do after my exams are over (in a few days). Please be patient! I'd upload them now, but the photos are on my phone, and I've lost my cable, so I'd have to upload them to FB and then take them off FB, and onto the TSR, and I've got lots of revision to do.

If you could, (sorry to ask), quote me next week some time, and remind me, and I'll post them for you. :smile:
Good luck securing your place. (:
Original post by lizolove
Hi, sorry, yeah, I will do after my exams are over (in a few days). Please be patient! I'd upload them now, but the photos are on my phone, and I've lost my cable, so I'd have to upload them to FB and then take them off FB, and onto the TSR, and I've got lots of revision to do.

If you could, (sorry to ask), quote me next week some time, and remind me, and I'll post them for you. :smile:
Good luck securing your place. (:

Sure, absolutely no worries, you can take your time! :smile: Haha that sounds way too tedious, I can easily wait until you're done with your exams, I'm in no hurry!

Alright I'll do that, thanks for responding! Best of luck for your exams, hope they're going well. :smile:

Reply 487
Hey everyone,

Rivelin and Cratcliffe are actually quite secluded compared to Howden and Burbage. I live in Rivelin and it's not near the edge at all and no one will know where you live, but means we're a big community because we're cut off from the rest of the en-suite blocks? I love it living here if I'm honest, & will be sad to leave. So if you want loads of noise & stuff, being right in the centre of things either Howden or Burbage would be great, but Rivelin gets all of that (minus a lot of the noise from the other blocks after nights out as there's only 2 Rivelin buildings) plus a great view and our own little pond!!
Cratcliffe is pretty crap for undergrads I've heard, like it's full of postgrads who tell you off if you're a bit lairy, but you're right next door to Stephenson so the guy I know living there (who's 1 of 8 undergrads in a building of 100) has loads of friends from Crewe, Crescent and Stephenson flats!

But, you don't get any choice in which block you're in, but hope you're a fellow dweller of the Riv, we're an exclusive crew :wink:
Reply 488
i'd like to ask; during freshers, how crazy is it ? is everyone drunk out of their mind ? non stop drinking/partying ? how did you find freshers and what was it like ?
Reply 489
Hey Guys!

I only turn 18 in December, which means that I will be 17 at freshers' week. Will this be a problem? Will I be able to drink alcohol and go to night clubs? Are they very strict with IDs? I heard you get a wristband in the beginning of freshers' week. Do underage people get one in a different colour or something like that?

Thanks!
Original post by tdkr
i'd like to ask; during freshers, how crazy is it ? is everyone drunk out of their mind ? non stop drinking/partying ? how did you find freshers and what was it like ?

It depends on what your block is like - some seem to go out every night while others won't. There will always be someone going out, but in our flat we took a few nights off and just watched a film together. It was nearly three years ago for me so it's quite difficult for me to remember... So it wasn't the most memorable week of my life (I've had much, much better at uni), but it did it's job - I felt more settled and ready to start my course after it.

Original post by Wazza
Hey Guys!

I only turn 18 in December, which means that I will be 17 at freshers' week. Will this be a problem? Will I be able to drink alcohol and go to night clubs? Are they very strict with IDs? I heard you get a wristband in the beginning of freshers' week. Do underage people get one in a different colour or something like that?

Thanks!

The Union rarely IDs. They only ask for your Ucard (Sheffield student card) to get into club nights and it is a shock when they ask anyone for ID when serving drinks. So you'd probably be safe there. In town they're a lot stricter and I can't think of anywhere that doesn't ID so I'd stick to the Union until December if you can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bobbler
Rivelin and Cratcliffe are actually quite secluded compared to Howden and Burbage. I live in Rivelin and it's not near the edge at all and no one will know where you live, but means we're a big community because we're cut off from the rest of the en-suite blocks? I love it living here if I'm honest, & will be sad to leave. So if you want loads of noise & stuff, being right in the centre of things either Howden or Burbage would be great, but Rivelin gets all of that (minus a lot of the noise from the other blocks after nights out as there's only 2 Rivelin buildings) plus a great view and our own little pond!!
Cratcliffe is pretty crap for undergrads I've heard, like it's full of postgrads who tell you off if you're a bit lairy, but you're right next door to Stephenson so the guy I know living there (who's 1 of 8 undergrads in a building of 100) has loads of friends from Crewe, Crescent and Stephenson flats!

But, you don't get any choice in which block you're in, but hope you're a fellow dweller of the Riv, we're an exclusive crew :wink:

Yeah I did figure out it was far from the Edge on Google Maps, and I understand your point there. I think I'd prefer to have a quieter environment, so from what you're saying Rivelin sounds ideal! Ohhhh. So that's exactly where Rivelin is, gotta love that pond, saw it on YouTube the other day! It makes me want to move in anywhere that's pretty close to it!

I've gone through posts on TSR which say Cratcliffe is a bit older compared to the others and the condition of the building isn't the best, is that true? And I wouldn't really want to be with Postgrads either, not much fun! Yeah, since there's no preference for the blocks I suppose I'll just keep hoping I get into somewhere nice! :biggrin:

Thanks a lot for your prompt response, really appreciate it. :smile:
Reply 492
Hi :smile:

As an Erasmus student, Endcliffe is the only accommodation site I've been able to apply for and it was the one I wanted to go to so *fingerscrossed*.
As I can"t know yet if I will be given a room there I have some questions about it :smile:

First, I figured out through all your posts that it's possible to get a bus to go from Endcliffe to the university and as I'm a foreign student I really don't know anything about your transports in England so: do you have a system of cards to take the bus? Like a card that you have to pay per month with which you can travel by bus as much as you want?

Secondly, I have never lived with other people and as I chose the self-catered option I'll have to share the kitchen and living areas. How do you usually arrange things with the food to buy? I mean, is it easy to have a space for you in the fridge or are people so nice that you share everything without any problem?

My questions may seem a bit stupid but I'm really anxious about all these new things I am going to live, but pretty excited at the same time :smile:

Thanks for your answers :wink:
Original post by InesM_92

As an Erasmus student, Endcliffe is the only accommodation site I've been able to apply for and it was the one I wanted to go to so *fingerscrossed*.
As I can"t know yet if I will be given a room there I have some questions about it :smile:

First, I figured out through all your posts that it's possible to get a bus to go from Endcliffe to the university and as I'm a foreign student I really don't know anything about your transports in England so: do you have a system of cards to take the bus? Like a card that you have to pay per month with which you can travel by bus as much as you want?

Secondly, I have never lived with other people and as I chose the self-catered option I'll have to share the kitchen and living areas. How do you usually arrange things with the food to buy? I mean, is it easy to have a space for you in the fridge or are people so nice that you share everything without any problem?

My questions may seem a bit stupid but I'm really anxious about all these new things I am going to live, but pretty excited at the same time :smile:

The walk from Endcliffe to the university is only about 20-25 minutes, but if you want to get the bus there are a variety of options. Student singles are 60p, which are valid for one journey, or you can buy weekly, monthly or yearly passes. There are 2 main bus companies in Sheffield, First and Stagecoach, and if you buy a First bus pass you can only use it on First buses and vica versa. They both run similar services, but Stagecoach passes can also include the tram, so that may be more appealing.

In a shared kitchen, there are usually enough cupboards and shelves so that everyone can have their own space for their food, so don't worry about having to share with anyone! I hope that helps, if you have any more questions just ask!

Hey,

Here's a link from the University's website to help you with transport around Sheffield. http://www.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentlife/transport And from what I've researched, there is this Stagecoach service (importantly, bus no. 120 which takes you from Endcliffe Village to the University) and they have this Unirider scheme where you can get a term ticket, and you ride as much as you want. This costs £85, and if you want to pay as you go when you go from Endcliffe to the Uni, it'll cost you 50p. So I guess it's upto you, whether you want to walk to Uni or take the bus! :smile:

From what I've heard, there's an option to have your order delivered at home from Tesco, and you can share the amount with your room mates. Usually there will be enough space to share in the fridges! You can YouTube for "Endcliffe Village" to get a better idea of the living area! Or here, let me give you the links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOMcgQJv_o
And the official Sheffield Uni Interactive tour that you can take. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFM2fiOrqqQ

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 495
Thank you to both of you for your answers, it was really helpful :smile:
Thank you to both of you for your answers, it was really helpful :smile:

No worries, you're welcome! :smile:

Reply 497
Hi

I have accepted Sheffield as my firm choice for my Mechanical Engineering degree. I am really confused between choosing Endcliffe Village or City Campus for my accommodation.

I mean both have there pros and cons. Endcliffe is more lively and lots of events take place, on the other hand it is quite far off form the Engineering Dept.. (Google Maps says that I will have to walk for around 35 min). While the City Campus is very near to the Dept, but I have heard that very few events take place there.
I also don't want to miss out on the "Student Life".

Could you please advise me which accommodation would be better for me.
Reply 498
Original post by rnsingh1
Hi

I have accepted Sheffield as my firm choice for my Mechanical Engineering degree. I am really confused between choosing Endcliffe Village or City Campus for my accommodation.

I mean both have there pros and cons. Endcliffe is more lively and lots of events take place, on the other hand it is quite far off form the Engineering Dept.. (Google Maps says that I will have to walk for around 35 min). While the City Campus is very near to the Dept, but I have heard that very few events take place there.
I also don't want to miss out on the "Student Life".

Could you please advise me which accommodation would be better for me.

Endcliffe all the way, everyone walks down to uni and you get used to it very quickly and it almost becomes a sort of social thing walking with your friends, there will always be ME people for you to walk with. And if you don't fancy the walk then there is a bus for 60p that drops you right outside mappin street so that's also a bonus. The buzz of Endcliffe, the fact that it has little green saces like the pond area where people sit out together and you also have the edge where there is also something going on makes it so much better than anywhere else. You are missing out on the first year experience imo if you are not in Endcliffe/Ranmoor!
Reply 499
Original post by AmiB
Endcliffe all the way, everyone walks down to uni and you get used to it very quickly and it almost becomes a sort of social thing walking with your friends, there will always be ME people for you to walk with. And if you don't fancy the walk then there is a bus for 60p that drops you right outside mappin street so that's also a bonus. The buzz of Endcliffe, the fact that it has little green saces like the pond area where people sit out together and you also have the edge where there is also something going on makes it so much better than anywhere else. You are missing out on the first year experience imo if you are not in Endcliffe/Ranmoor!

Thanks a lot :biggrin: It's going to be Endcliffe for me now :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending