Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn these damned essay crises!!! Why do they always have to happen?? After each one (and they have become a twice-weekly occurrence) I always tell myself that I will organise my time better and not get into this desperate situation again, but inevitably I do. ARGH!!! All of you offer-holders beware, the workload will hit you like a ton of bricks, and your life will soon revolve around coffee, the library and your beloved laptop computer.
    Please someone say they themselves are in the middle of an essay crisis, or at least relate to my wretched situation!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Oh damn these damned essay crises!!! Why do they always have to happen?? After each one (and they have become a twice-weekly occurrence) I always tell myself that I will organise my time better and not get into this desperate situation again, but inevitably I do. ARGH!!! All of you offer-holders beware, the workload will hit you like a ton of bricks, and your life will soon revolve around coffee, the library and your beloved laptop computer.
    Please someone say they themselves are in the middle of an essay crisis, or at least relate to my wretched situation!!!!
    I just finished an essay. The deadline is Saturday.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    I've only just finished some questions which are due in tomorrow. Bloody useless lecturer hasn't given us any useful equations in our notes, so it took me ages to do them all. And I've got another essay in on Friday... that one's gonna be another late night, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I hate essay deadlines I was up til 5 yesterday trawling through a massive pile of seminar reading that I needed for the next morning if that makes you feel any better

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn these damned essay crises!!!
    What are you reading?

ReputationRep:
    Do you really have to do two essays per week? Is that the general workload for all arts courses?

ReputationRep:
    What is the essay on?

I find with essays they are hard to start but when I get into them they flow and it actually can be quite fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    Do you really have to do two essays per week? Is that the general workload for all arts courses?
    Im doing history and have generally one and a half essays a week but ive learnt from my friends to NOT do joint school! his and politics this term have two essays a week and his and french have three!

ReputationRep:
    There's a point - laptops verses desktops for Cambridge (or uni in general)

What would you say the main pros and cons are. What did/would YOU choose?

ReputationRep:
    Nightmare - just had an email organising our next two weeks of supervisions and I'm down four times next to different topics! I'm going to have to have a word because last term at the end of term I wrote two essays a week for two weeks and it was a nightmare - considering I had prac crit on top of those two each week as well, and a language one thrown in for fun.

I usually have one big one a week, one smaller one and one medium every three weeks or so.

<sulks>

everyone else was only on there once

ReputationRep:
    Try slimming down the social life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Try slimming down the social life?
    *fumes* ohhh that is the sort of comment that makes me mad. Two essays a week is harsh even if you never leave the library. And you do have to have some time just to relax and chill, otherwise the pressure really would get insane.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know who does arts does their essay the day before or perhaps the day before the day before. With arts subjects it takes longer to collect information and form and develop ideas before you can get to writing. Science people just have to DO - although most science ppl leave it to the last minute as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Everyone I know who does arts does their essay the day before or perhaps the day before the day before. With arts subjects it takes longer to collect information and form and develop ideas before you can get to writing. Science people just have to DO - although most science ppl leave it to the last minute as well!
    Yes, there is the endless argument about who works hardest. Arts essays are harder to prepare and write, but we probably do an equivalent amount of work, whether it be writing our essays, doing calculations/practical write-ups, not to mention the huge amount of extra timetabled stuff we have.

Oh, and re. the laptop/desktop issue - I have a desktop, but with a flat screen, which takes up a lot less space. Others have laptops; I'm not sure really if it matters for the first couple of years. Apparently later on (3rd year+) in lab-based subjects a laptop would be better as you can work on it in the lab.

ReputationRep:
    My roommate's a vet and she's always out at lectures - but she writes all her essays with the telly or music on. I, on the other hand, don't have so many lectures but have to concentrate more for my essay.

I think science people just don't respect us artists <sniff>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My roommate's a vet and she's always out at lectures - but she writes all her essays with the telly or music on. I, on the other hand, don't have so many lectures but have to concentrate more for my essay.

I think science people just don't respect us artists <sniff>
    We do, we just hate that you don't have 9am lectures every day. And it may be entirely unfair, but it does sometimes seem that my Arts friends sit around in their rooms all day (albeit reading or not) while we're in and out of everywhere.

I can't write essays with music on. I don't have a TV, so that's not an issue

ReputationRep:
    And there's me moaning that she wakes me up at 8 with her clattering about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yes, there is the endless argument about who works hardest. Arts essays are harder to prepare and write, but we probably do an equivalent amount of work, whether it be writing our essays, doing calculations/practical write-ups, not to mention the huge amount of extra timetabled stuff we have.

Oh, and re. the laptop/desktop issue - I have a desktop, but with a flat screen, which takes up a lot less space. Others have laptops; I'm not sure really if it matters for the first couple of years. Apparently later on (3rd year+) in lab-based subjects a laptop would be better as you can work on it in the lab.
    Ahh, I imagine laptops do sound more useful - I've just heard that desktops are a lot more reliable (don't break as often) I was just wondering how often scientists use them outside of their rooms - do you ever use them in lectures etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    Ahh, I imagine laptops do sound more useful - I've just heard that desktops are a lot more reliable (don't break as often) I was just wondering how often scientists use them outside of their rooms - do you ever use them in lectures etc?
    A laptop is a lot more reliable than a desktop if there is a power-cut, or if someone accidentally removes the powercable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    I asked my college mum about this - you tend to get hated if you use them in lectures. Plus, there are thousands of eople switching rooms at the same time so not a good idea. They are useful for taking to the UL because in 1st and 2nd years you can't borrow books. I drag mine around the libraries but never take it into lectures. I advise a laptop because they are just so much easier for setting up when you have to move out each term

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.