Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, I'm not 100% sure, (MadNatSci will tell you more) but I think BioNatSci is fairly similar to Medicine in that you are given fairly comprehensive lecture notes and you simply annotate them a bit as you go through.
    Yeah, pretty much. You do have the odd example to take down - like in chemistry at the moment - and I think the people doing real maths have to take all their notes (ha ha!) but yes, for the most part it's just annotation.

One of my lecturers told us that he didn't care if we came to his lectures because everything we needed was in the handout... Heh. They almost always add extra bits of info and explain things slightly more clearly in the lectures though so it IS best to go!

Well, I'm not 100% sure, (MadNatSci will tell you more) but I think BioNatSci is fairly similar to Medicine in that you are given fairly comprehensive lecture notes and you simply annotate them a bit as you go through. It's not solid writing for hours on end, and as you already have a set of notes, typing them would not necessarily be that helpful. There are also diagrams and so on that you may have to copy down if they're not already in - considerably harder on a computer. There is no rule against laptops in lecture theatres as far as I'm aware, it's just that people get annoyed with the keyboard clicking etc. I honestly have never seen any medic use a laptop in lectures.

It's a no-win situation really - of course if it's going to cause you pain, you shouldn't have to write (and it shouldn't be too hard for you to get permission to do exams on a laptop). However, from personal experience it is very distracting to have someone next to you typing. When I did my public exams at school, I was very often at the back of the exam hall, right by two guys who had permission to use computers for essay exams. It was really hard work trying to write with them clicking behind me.
    Wooh for lecture notes! thanks. I really prefer having notes ready-done that you can just add bits to, etc.

I hear you on the diagrams, etc - using a laptop is actually so frustrating when you do science/mathsy subjects that i do prefer to just copy other people's notes now. I really didnt like having to use it - takes so long, it took me ages to print everything out at home, diagrams/equations etc were just horrible, it kept breaking etc etc - I wouldn't use it again unless I really had to. I agree it's no-win. At least I *can* write most of thetime, it just hurts. Must be tough if you can't at all.

Love
    Rosie xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    They get a separate room at our school...
    Yes, they would at most schools; in fact they're meant to, and I don't know why they didn't :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i've seen a couple of people bring laptops to lectures, but they seem to end up having solitaire or minesweeper on more than microsoft word or some other word processor... :confused:

as for disorders that prevent writing, i remember vaguely a conversation with one of my supervisors who sits on the exam board... i think (if i remember correctly) that if you have a valid reason/excuse, you can actually get someone else to sit down next to you and you get to dictate your essay to that person - he/she writes the entire damn thing for you! but i'm not quite sure i'm remembering this accurately, so don't take my word for it. i'm quite sure examination rules are written down somewhere anyway - go dig for it.

now, am off to find an excuse for not being able to write...

alex: am in caius M3... the ones making huge splashes as we cane it up and down the reach...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    as for disorders that prevent writing, i remember vaguely a conversation with one of my supervisors who sits on the exam board... i think (if i remember correctly) that if you have a valid reason/excuse, you can actually get someone else to sit down next to you and you get to dictate your essay to that person - he/she writes the entire damn thing for you!
    Yes, I think they're called an amanuensis (although that's probably spelled completely wrong). A guy at my school had one. I would far rather type than dictate though.

Yeah, if I had a laptop I might use it to play games on in renal lectures. It wouldn't be good for anything else :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i reckon that if i do History & Modern Languages i will have a few essay crisises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    i reckon that if i do History & Modern Languages i will have a few essay crisises
    Yes you will. I know someone reading History and German and she gets looooooaaaaaaaaads of work.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not 100% sure, (MadNatSci will tell you more) but I think BioNatSci is fairly similar to Medicine in that you are given fairly comprehensive lecture notes and you simply annotate them a bit as you go through. It's not solid writing for hours on end, and as you already have a set of notes, typing them would not necessarily be that helpful. There are also diagrams and so on that you may have to copy down if they're not already in - considerably harder on a computer. There is no rule against laptops in lecture theatres as far as I'm aware, it's just that people get annoyed with the keyboard clicking etc. I honestly have never seen any medic use a laptop in lectures.

It's a no-win situation really - of course if it's going to cause you pain, you shouldn't have to write (and it shouldn't be too hard for you to get permission to do exams on a laptop). However, from personal experience it is very distracting to have someone next to you typing. When I did my public exams at school, I was very often at the back of the exam hall, right by two guys who had permission to use computers for essay exams. It was really hard work trying to write with them clicking behind me.
    Thank god for lecture notes!!! (means you don't have to stay awake the whole lecture ) How many sides of notes do you get per year/ term for medicine anyway? (please don't say its in the hundreds!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    Thank god for lecture notes!!! (means you don't have to stay awake the whole lecture ) How many sides of notes do you get per year/ term for medicine anyway? (please don't say its in the hundreds!)
    I have never counted, but I'd say it probably is. They're generally pretty comprehensive though, which is good. What's really annoying is when the lecturer just reads from them :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I have never counted, but I'd say it probably is. They're generally pretty comprehensive though, which is good. What's really annoying is when the lecturer just reads from them :mad:
    which lectures are the best to skive (i.e. miss nothing and don't get bored in process)...not that i'm ever gona do such a thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    which lectures are the best to skive (i.e. miss nothing and don't get bored in process)...not that i'm ever gona do such a thing
    It depends what subject you're doing, and on the individual lecturer. Unfortunately you have to go to a few to find out.

ReputationRep:
    how many essays a week does your friend do who studies History & German?...also, what does she think of the course?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what subject you're doing, and on the individual lecturer. Unfortunately you have to go to a few to find out.
    medicine. Thing is I don't want to get caught out badly. A guy I knew (now a first year medic at cam) apparently skived the first weeks lectures altogether. Not sure if he got in trouble or not (coz i hear theres quite a lot of organising to do for practical timetables etc in 1st week)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    medicine. Thing is I don't want to get caught out badly. A guy I knew (now a first year medic at cam) apparently skived the first weeks lectures altogether. Not sure if he got in trouble or not (coz i hear theres quite a lot of organising to do for practical timetables etc in 1st week)
    Well, medics are really meant to go to all their lectures. I've been to nearly all of mine, although forcing myself to go to renal physiology ones at the moment is somewhat of a chore. However, as long as you have the notes (except for some lecturers, who think you concentrate better if they only give you skeleton notes and make you fill in the rest yourself) you can miss some lectures and get away with it. You have to go to practicals and dissections though.

What college are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    Well, medics are really meant to go to all their lectures. I've been to nearly all of mine, although forcing myself to go to renal physiology ones at the moment is somewhat of a chore. However, as long as you have the notes (except for some lecturers, who think you concentrate better if they only give you skeleton notes and make you fill in the rest yourself) you can miss some lectures and get away with it. You have to go to practicals and dissections though.

What college are you going to?
    damn...and there's me hoping that i didint have to wake up early every morning to get to 9am lectures.

college...I'm going to christ's *awaits onslaught of derogatory comments*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    boo, hiss etc. etc. (I'm going to be at St. John's )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    boo, hiss etc. etc. (I'm going to be at St. John's )
    what subject??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    damn...and there's me hoping that i didint have to wake up early every morning to get to 9am lectures.

Ah, well, at Christ's you might be in more trouble for not going to lectures. I don't know if they make you or anything, but if your work slips, they'll be onto you in a second. It's not called the suicide college for nothing...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well, at Christ's you might be in more trouble for not going to lectures. I don't know if they make you or anything, but if your work slips, they'll be onto you in a second. It's not called the suicide college for nothing...
    :eek: How would they find out? Do they have some sort of register at lectures? Also, surely the final exam is an indicator of if your work's slipped and not how good your essays are?!

(is there any way of changing college now...i don't want to die!! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    :eek: How would they find out? Do they have some sort of register at lectures? Also, surely the final exam is an indicator of if your work's slipped and not how good your essays are?!

(is there any way of changing college now...i don't want to die!! )
    No, they don't. But maybe if you weren't understanding the work, they might ask you in supervisions. They're pretty perceptive, and it will be obvious how much effort you've put into your essays. They want to catch it before exams!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.