Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quinnbrakes)
    Im pretty sure the brittish record for 2k is around 5:45 so i reckon you've got a very good chance.
    Are you joking? I heard the british record was closer to 5

Besides, what resistences are we talking about here? Admittedly, 6 is probably not the one used when trialling. At Cambridge are trails completed on ergs?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry fella cant help with the resistances stuff kept away from the river when i was at school. Couldnt cope with the social exclusion i guess. I just remember that our GB rowers were on about 6.20-6.30 by the upper sixth.

Have a look at this http://www.concept2.co.uk/birc/records.php

ReputationRep:
    Sorry fella cant help with the resistances stuff kept away from the river when i was at school. Couldnt cope with the social exclusion i guess. I just remember that our GB rowers were on about 6.20-6.30 by the upper sixth.

Have a look at this http://www.concept2.co.uk/birc/records.php

Thanks.....this website is a bit difficult to understand though....but I shall trawl through the pages!

PS What social exclusion?

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry only a school thing rowers were mocked for their lack of co-ordination. Didnt help that they were such ***** when Henely came round either. Only thing that they had going for them was bumps. At oxbridge its different as far as I can work out everybody loves them.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry only a school thing rowers were mocked for their lack of co-ordination. Didnt help that they were such ***** when Henely came round either. Only thing that they had going for them was bumps. At oxbridge its different as far as I can work out everybody loves them.
    Oh I see. You must have gone to a posh school.

ReputationRep:
    not as posh as it likes to think.

ReputationRep:
    Hi mentally ill, if you are really pulling 5:43 for a 2k I'd screw the Wolfson boats - doubt any of them have a 2k time lower than 7:00. Go straight for uni trials, if you can row as well, with that time you'll probably get blue boat. Generally if you can pull 6:05 you have a very decent chance of making the blue boat. Why have you not been picked up by GB developement yet if this is true? We do 2k ergs generally at the same resistance as water - so 130-140 in erg units which equivalates to about lever 4-5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_R)
    Hi mentally ill, if you are really pulling 5:43 for a 2k I'd screw the Wolfson boats - doubt any of them have a 2k time lower than 7:00. Go straight for uni trials, if you can row as well, with that time you'll probably get blue boat. Generally if you can pull 6:05 you have a very decent chance of making the blue boat. Why have you not been picked up by GB developement yet if this is true? We do 2k ergs generally at the same resistance as water - so 130-140 in erg units which equivalates to about lever 4-5.
    OMG I am so excited if what you say is true.

I achieved 5.43 (PB) in July last year and I always row on lever 6......I wonder if the resistences are different across models????? 4-5 would be like pulling air on my machine.

GB Development.....hmmm....I only row on concept IIs at my local Holmes Place as part of my CV workout. I have never had any involvement on a competitive basis.

More recently my times have slipped to 6.54 and 6.58 as I have been trying to concentrate on running and swimming, however, I have been smoking one more joint per week than normal so that could be having an adverse effect on my performance. I guess I should reduce to lever 5 (or find out the equivalent of 130-140 erg units) and work on my time between now and sept.

PS I weigh just under 11stones, so I guess I would be light weight?

ReputationRep:
    So, am I right in assuming you've never rowed before. If so, you should really learn to before you come to Cambridge if there is a rowing club near you. Moving a boat through water has some similarities to pulling an erg but most of it is actually quite different. I would advise going for the Wolfson college boats but they won't teach you much technique. Make sure you find out about uni dev squad. They will teach you to row properly, and if you really can pull 5:43 (are you sure it wasn't 6:43 which is still very impressive - no offence, but for an 11 stone person it seems very unlikely, or possibly did you hit 5:43 on the projected time rather than actual time over 2k - sorry I have to ask - 5:43 really is GB level and indicates uberfitness) they will sort out some sort of fast track for you. Probably best to forget what I said about GB developement, I thought you had rowed before, but if you pick up the technique then CUBC will have good connections to the international set up. You are a lightweight at 11 stone, but if your erg time is correct you'll be pulling much quicker than the heavyweights.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, if you are dishing out the bs, you will be found out:

2k world record:

5:38.3 Rob Waddell

British record:

5:42.6 Matthew Pinsent

I'll leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    So, am I right in assuming you've never rowed before. If so, you should really learn to before you come to Cambridge if there is a rowing club near you. Moving a boat through water has some similarities to pulling an erg but most of it is actually quite different. I would advise going for the Wolfson college boats but they won't teach you much technique. Make sure you find out about uni dev squad. They will teach you to row properly, and if you really can pull 5:43 (are you sure it wasn't 6:43 which is still very impressive - no offence, but for an 11 stone person it seems very unlikely, or possibly did you hit 5:43 on the projected time rather than actual time over 2k - sorry I have to ask - 5:43 really is GB level and indicates uberfitness) they will sort out some sort of fast track for you. Probably best to forget what I said about GB developement, I thought you had rowed before, but if you pick up the technique then CUBC will have good connections to the international set up. You are a lightweight at 11 stone, but if your erg time is correct you'll be pulling much quicker than the heavyweights.

No, I have never rowed before (apart from those boat things once in Hyde Park - but that doesnt count). I have no affordable boat club near me

I am pretty certain that I 'pulled' 5.43, however, I am beginning to feel that *something* wasn't equal, as I am not the fittest person I know, and not superfit! I remember my distances started off at 1.5k, so I could have done it in that time.....but by July I had been doing a 2k workout for at least 2 months. However, if that was the case, I am still pulling 2k under 7 mins which means if I dedicate some time to my fitness in the next few months I could cut at least 45 seconds off my recent performances - from your comments, 6.15 would still be a good novice time to start???????

Anyway, I dont know if I will be joining the boat club cos early mornings aint my thing and I dont like wearing shorts, and incase you haven't read Haz's post, I could be instore for 4 essays a week.................

ReputationRep:
    Mate, if you are dishing out the bs, you will be found out:

2k world record:

5:38.3 Rob Waddell

British record:

5:42.6 Matthew Pinsent

I'll leave it at that.

hmmmmm.......in light of this information, I strongly suspect my time MUST represent a distance of 1.5K
    How sad

ReputationRep:
    No probs, still if you are doing under 7 minutes, its extremely good for a novice, and if you can hit 6:30, you'd be involved in uni set up at some level. Pity you're not going to a college with good rowing resources. I'd definately go to dev squad at the start of term though to see if you do get keen, because it seems you have potential.

ReputationRep:
    Pity you're not going to a college with good rowing resources.
    I thought it was ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mentally Ill)
    I thought it was ?
    Helenia runs around screaming

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Boatie talk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Helenia runs around screaming

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Boatie talk!
    I was just thinking the same thing!

Where are all the footie players in cambridge? :confused: *Hopes that they haven't all coverted into boaties*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al65)
    I was just thinking the same thing!

Where are all the footie players in cambridge? :confused: *Hopes that they haven't all coverted into boaties*
    I am yet to meet any football players (admittedly I don't know many) who talk about their sport quite as much as boaties do. Rugby players come in second to boaties, but there aren't nearly as many of them round here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I am yet to meet any football players (admittedly I don't know many) who talk about their sport quite as much as boaties do. Rugby players come in second to boaties, but there aren't nearly as many of them round here.
    Boaties and rugby players have to really because no-one else in the country will!

ReputationRep:
    you really should check out the entire boatie subculture in cambridge, when you do come up... there are reasons why people get so addicted that they wake up at 5:30am to freeze on a river... come on, if a few hundred people are doing it everyday, there must be something going on here...

as for erging, as far as i know, a time of 6:20 is one of the fastest in the lightweight squad. of course, as they say, ergs don't float, but seriously, it's much easier to make an erg float than a floater erg...

as for 6 or 7 essays a week, it happens. How? some supervisors give more than 1 essay, simple! i've got 2 for anat, 1 for physio, 1 for biochem... all due in by monday latest, and i'd have next week's to finish quickly before i burn my entire week rowing in bumps... and that's another 3 essays...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    you really should check out the entire boatie subculture in cambridge, when you do come up... there are reasons why people get so addicted that they wake up at 5:30am to freeze on a river... come on, if a few hundred people are doing it everyday, there must be something going on here...

as for erging, as far as i know, a time of 6:20 is one of the fastest in the lightweight squad. of course, as they say, ergs don't float, but seriously, it's much easier to make an erg float than a floater erg...

as for 6 or 7 essays a week, it happens. How? some supervisors give more than 1 essay, simple! i've got 2 for anat, 1 for physio, 1 for biochem... all due in by monday latest, and i'd have next week's to finish quickly before i burn my entire week rowing in bumps... and that's another 3 essays...
    Bloody heck!! How do you get time to breathe..let alone spend hours rowing down a river. Is there something in the water there that causes you to not need sleep?! (5.30am!! :eek: )

Alex...How many essays do you get a week? (just want to know if christ's really does live up to its reputation of driving you to suicide lol)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.