The Student Room Group

Worried I'll never be taken seriously due to breast size...

I'm turning 18 next year and I'll be off to uni soon, getting jobs etc. This would all be fine, but I'm cursed with 36FF boobs, and theyre ruining my life.

I used to love running but because of the size of my boobs I get very self conscious running, even with a very expensive sports bra, because I feel men leering at me.

I can't wear tight things or baggy things, when I'm particularly stressed my shoulder get super tense and hurt like crazy.

But it's also the psychological side of it. At college I've had several guys ask me what size I am, or try to guess what size I am right in front of me...I feel like a cheap slut if I wear the wrong thing...I feel like nobody will ever take me seriously in future careers because they'll just taunt me.

I really want to have a successful career but I don't think I can with these massive things. Help me :emo:

Edit: to those saying about weight loss, yes, I am slightly heavier, but not so heavy that if I lose weight they will go down significantly, if at all. I'm currently a size 14 and in the process of losing weight, but even then my boobs will be an E/F cup minimum. So it's not a case of "lose weight and they'll go".

EDIT: just in case you wanted to know at all, I've decided to get a breast reduction. I haven't decided where or how I'm going to pay it, but I can't live like this any more. It's taking a toll on my mental health (I cry myself to sleep) and my physical health, as it hurts to do most kinds of exercise due to the strain on my shoulders. I don't care about scars or the cost of it, people suffer much worse scars etc. I just want them gone.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

"Cursed" with massive boobs? They're clearly a gift! Use them to your advantage in order to further your career! Think of how far you could go in life with those things!

EDIT: This was completely tongue in cheek as I know this is the kind of thing that OP hates.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doughnuts!!
"Cursed" with massive boobs? They're clearly a gift! Use them to your advantage in order to further your career! Think of how far you could go in life with those things!

You may think they're a gift, but big boobs can only be used as an advantage "in order to further your career" if you want to be a stripper or a glamour model. I want to be neither of those things.
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Congratulations, you've exemplified everything about typical male behaviour which is upsetting OP in three sentences.
Wear a high necklined T shirt. You will always be perved on however you look and whatever body shape you have. If they cause you pain and it's unbearable then have a reduction on the NHS.

If someone makes an inappropriate comment in front of you snap at them. But I'm telling you honestly, all my friends - male, female, big, small, boobalicious, flat-chested, ugly, beautiful - we all get beeped at or cat called by people in the street. Humans are douches. Look at some of the lecherous responses you've had already, and they can't even see you. It's ingrained in society.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Consider breast reduction? It'll help future back problems and help your confidence. I Don't know your weight but perhaps if you're slightly heavier you could excercise for now to decrease them slightly. It's not unknown for girls to decrease several breast size by merely losing weight.

Always remeber though, you're doing it for yourself NOT other people. do what makes you feel happiest.
Reply 6
I've heard there are minimiser bras which, coupled with being careful how you dress, should make them look substantially smaller. Also, being a 36 back size, unless you're rather large-framed, could you lose a bit of weight?
It must be horrible having half of the people you meet staring at your chest, but try to rise above it. Of course you're deserving of being taken seriously.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Congratulations, you've exemplified everything about typical male behaviour which is upsetting OP in three sentences.

See the edit.
Reply 8
Original post by Sad_Puppy
You may think they're a gift, but big boobs can only be used as an advantage "in order to further your career" if you want to be a stripper or a glamour model. I want to be neither of those things.

I remember hearing a woman on radio 4 (I know I'm 17 and I listen to radio 4, how sad......), talking about the importance of sexuality in furthering your career, applying for jobs and in the workplace.

Your big boobs, will nearly always strike a positive acord in a man's subconscious. This is very advantageous, especially if you are applying to a job and you have a male boss, or a male interviewer.

Also, you should be proud of them. There is nothing more intimidating that a woman with huge boobs, who is also very strong and intelligent and won't take crap any from men.
I'm turning 18 next year and I'll be off to uni soon, getting jobs etc. This would all be fine, but I'm cursed with 36FF boobs, and theyre ruining my life.

I used to love running but because of the size of my boobs I get very self conscious running, even with a very expensive sports bra, because I feel men leering at me.

I can't wear tight things or baggy things, when I'm particularly stressed my shoulder get super tense and hurt like crazy.

But it's also the psychological side of it. At college I've had several guys ask me what size I am, or try to guess what size I am right in front of me...I feel like a cheap slut if I wear the wrong thing...I feel like nobody will ever take me seriously in future careers because they'll just taunt me.

I really want to have a successful career but I don't think I can with these massive things. Help me :emo:

A sad fact is, if you have big breasts there are many men who will want to leer over them, probably even some women too!
But they will only ruin your life if you allow them to. I find people leering at my breasts all the time, but I either ignore it or tell them to stop...
I don't think your large breasts should stop people taking you seriously, I think you're panicking a little too much! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by poolopis01
Not true. Seduce a married executive and blackmail, blackmail, blackmail.

You're disgusting. So just because I have large breasts I should forget trying to build up a career myself and rely on men to get me through life?
OP can i suggest getting some really well fitted bras from a shop such as Bravissimo. I have similar problems in the boob department and found that this really helped make them less 'obvious'.
Unfortunately, as others have said, there will always be idiots out there who make comments, you just have to try your best to ignore this.
Reply 12
Original post by screenager2004
Wear a high necklined T shirt. You will always be perved on however you look and whatever body shape you have. If they cause you pain and it's unbearable then have a reduction on the NHS.

If someone makes an inappropriate comment in front of you snap at them. But I'm telling you honestly, all my friends - male, female, big, small, boobalicious, flat-chested, ugly, beautiful - we all get beeped at or cat called by people in the street. Humans are douches. Look at some of the lecherous responses you've had already, and they can't even see you. It's ingrained in society.

Thanks, nice post, good to know it's not only me who gets leered at.. BTW as for the high necklined thing, that just makes them look bigger :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by Death.
I remember hearing a woman on radio 4 (I know I'm 17 and I listen to radio 4, how sad......), talking about the importance of sexuality in furthering your career, applying for jobs and in the workplace.

Your big boobs, will nearly always strike a positive acord in a man's subconscious. This is very advantageous, especially if you are applying to a job and you have a male boss, or a male interviewer.

Also, you should be proud of them. There is nothing more intimidating that a woman with huge boobs, who is also very strong and intelligent and won't take crap any from men.

But then I'll always have a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me, for example, I only got a job because the employer liked the sight of my breasts...?

I want to succeed based on my academic merit, not based on my body parts.
Reply 14
Try Bravissimo, i work in one of the stores and I can't tell you how many people feel better after getting fitted into a properly fitted bra!

Also, as soon as you walk into the store you'll realise that in 'Bravissimo' terms, 36FF is not that large because they stock up to an L-cup!

Finally, it's all about self-confidence. People notice straight away if you're self-conscious about your size and that brings even more attention so just try not to think about it too much and eventually you won't even care!
Thanks, nice post, good to know it's not only me who gets leered at.. BTW as for the high necklined thing, that just makes them look bigger :colondollar:

I can't say - but exposing a good bit of cleavage isn't exactly going to deflect attention.
Reply 16
Original post by cactus kid :)
OP can i suggest getting some really well fitted bras from a shop such as Bravissimo. I have similar problems in the boob department and found that this really helped make them less 'obvious'.
Unfortunately, as others have said, there will always be idiots out there who make comments, you just have to try your best to ignore this.

Trust me, I've shelled out a lot of money on well fitted bras...but they're still "in your face".
Reply 17
No, baggy clothes and thick sweaters add bulk, making me look big all over.

And yes, I am doing that. I've always succeeded academically (not to sound arrogant here) but I feel my boobs are holding me back. I hate doing presentations in front of classes because of my self-consciousness, especially since the boys would probably just prefer to stare at my tits than listen to what I'm saying.
Reply 18
But then I'll always have a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me, for example, I only got a job because the employer liked the sight of my breasts...?

I want to succeed based on my academic merit, not based on my body parts.

Who cares?

You'll succeed because of your academic merit too, asuming you get into a uni and get a degree etc....

But you'll also excel more over others because men have something called a penis which gets excited over big blobs of flesh attached to a woman.

They are laughing stock for you, it's a win-win situation for you and most other people lose out.

It's not like your a stripper or anything, so you won't lose any dignity.

Edit: to those saying about weight loss, yes, I am slightly heavier, but not so heavy that if I lose weight they will go down significantly, if at all. I'm currently a size 14 and in the process of losing weight, but even then my boobs will be an E/F cup minimum. So it's not a case of "lose weight and they'll go".

Do you mind me asking how tall you are? Losing weight will help somewhat, so keep at it. There are some types of bras that will make you look significantly smaller, so maybe try those? Although that may be something that you've already looked at.

As for men leering at you, like someone has already said..it will happen no matter what. I understand that it's especially difficult for you, but don't let it get you down and try to be positive about your body. If guys ask you about what bra size you are, make it clear that it's not acceptable for them to ask such questions. Don't let anyone make you feel uncomfortable, you deserve to be treated with as much respect as anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending